• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

See the writing on the wall yet? Throne Speech

H

Harry

Who saw or listened to the throne speech yesterday?   :rolleyes:  

The CF didn't even rate an honourable mention, other than in passing WRT the War on Terrorism.   :blotto:  

What makes it poignant was to see Manley on CTV News this AM make the comment that the CF/ND was omitted as it's mandate and role are under review by EXTERNAL AFFAIRS (HUH).  If you thought the MND was a lame duck, that comment confirms what I have always perceived as wrong with the Grits.   :rage:  

The military is not so much a legislated extension of the will of the government, but a tool of external affairs.    :mad:  

Good Luck and God Speed to those still serving.  You're going to need it.   :warstory:  

I hear school is a very viable alternative these days.   :D

(it‘s sad - the fart-catchers in the PMO‘s office must be delighted at how little print was devoted to DND/CF/defence, in contrast to Hockey Night in Canada - they‘ll crow about how the citizens doesn‘t care about defence ...)

Military snubbing from feds a ‘shock‘
By STEPHANIE RUBEC, OTTAWA BUREAU (Sun)

OTTAWA -- The Canadian Forces barely got a nod from the Liberal government during the throne speech yesterday, provoking an eruption of criticism from defence backers.

Only one sentence in the 14-page speech read by the commander in chief of the Canadian Forces, Gov. Gen. Adrienne Clarkson, directly mentions the military.

The speech makes a vague promise to set out long-term direction on defence policy and ensure "Canada‘s military is equipped to fulfil the demands placed upon it."

Tory MP Elsie Wayne said a Commons defence committee has already laid out a long-term defence policy, and what the Canadian Forces need now is money -- at least $3 billion more annually just to make ends meet.

"It should have been the No. 1 priority," Wayne said. "I‘ve never been so disappointed since I got here in ‘93. It‘s just horrible. I‘m in shock."

"It‘s an embarrassment and I‘m sure every member serving in the Canadian Forces is hurt by that and they have every right to be," added Canadian Alliance MP Leon Benoit.

Retired Maj.-Gen. Lewis MacKenzie said the Liberal government is signalling it will continue to stiff the Forces and will be reducing Canada‘s commitment abroad.

"I guess the idea is to abandon our place on the international scene," MacKenzie said.

But Defence Minister John McCallum said he expects more money as soon as his department irons out its priorities. "The statement that was there (in the speech), shows that we‘re exactly on the right track."

Token gestures for our military

National Post
Tuesday, October 01, 2002

Yesterday‘s Speech from the Throne, delivered by Adrienne Clarkson, the Governor-General, was the second in the past 20 months. That in itself was not necessarily a bad thing: Much has changed since January, 2001, and a formal reordering of priorities is in order. The Sept. 11 attacks, the war on terrorism, and hostilities with Iraq should have pushed security to the top of the federal agenda. And given that the need for greater Canadian defence spending has been emphasized by everyone from our own Defence Minister to military watchdogs to the United States ambassador, there is little doubt it should have been made the government‘s first priority.

With that in mind, it was encouraging to hear Ms. Clarkson‘s address lead off with the promise that "The government will continue to work with its allies to ensure the safety and security of Canadians," and that it will "[protect] Canadians from emerging threats, and will work with the United States to address our shared security needs." But, that, unfortunately, was as far as it went.

Canada spends just 1.2% of its GDP on defence -- less than all but one of NATO‘s 19 member countries. The size of our armed forces has dropped from 87,600 in 1990 to just 57,000 today. Sheila Fraser, the auditor-general, has warned that the military could not guarantee its combat readiness because of ageing equipment and a massive budgetary shortfall. Retired Brigadier-General Don Macnamara, president of the Conference of Defence Associations Institute, recently released a report concluding that our potential inability to monitor our own airspace could put our sovereignty at risk. And the U.S. ambassador cautioned earlier this year that our defence system is so inadequate as to imperil North American security.

Yesterday‘s address glossed over these realities. Specific spending promises were made on health care, the environment, aboriginals and cities. Development assistance -- which, given his expressed views on the origins of terrorism, Jean Chrétien apparently considers a substitute for proper defence spending -- will be doubled by 2010. The defence component, on the other hand, appeared almost deliberately vague.

Particularly galling is the suggestion by government officials, reported in recent days, that Ottawa must await a joint review of Canada‘s defence and foreign affairs policies before moving forward with increased spending. The last year has already seen a spate of Blue Ribbon reports -- all lamenting the rusted state of our military. How many more need be written to convince Mr. Chrétien that it is time to act? Why, if it was possible to make health-care pledges months before the release of the long-awaited Romanow report, is it impossible to commit now to increased defence spending? And if a campaign spearheaded by The Toronto Star was enough to illicit major -- and unnecessary -- pledges on urban investment, how can the government possibly ignore virtually every military expert and advocate in the country?

Despite the token gestures on defence, yesterday‘s Throne Speech consisted mostly of expensive commitments to warm-and-fuzzy pet causes, and was clearly intended to allow Mr. Chrétien to appease his supporters by reaffirming "Liberal values." Security protection might not be one of those values -- but it is the federal government‘s first responsibility to Canadians and a prerequisite for being taken seriously on the international stage. If Mr. Chrétien wants to leave his country a legacy worth inheriting, he will ensure that the next budget expands on yesterday‘s token gesture with a real investment in our military.

I am surprised the CF got even one line in the throne speech I guess it is easier and cheaper for the Liberals to have Canadian soldiers die rather than spend one dollar on military equipment. I see the Sea Kings flying over Halifax harbour and I have to wonder whether or not some pilot will get killed because the feds refuse to replace the aging helicopter. Or when another peace keeping mission is proposed by Foreign Affairs (but strangely these missions never come out of their budget) yet Canada could not even maintain an operation in Afghanistan past 6 months. And even on the odd times the government decides to buy equipment, the purchase has more to do with pork barrel politics rather than the equipment being of any military value. :mad: Maybe the PM and cabinet should be given a 3 hour tour in a randomly selected Sea King. It might give them a new perspective (but I doubt it) :sniper:

Back