• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some of my modern builds

Holy crap! You sure are skilled. Sadly I can only do snap-tite models :( but great work!

Not totally skilled yet but thank you for the vote of confidence. I'm working on a Styker ATGM. Been lazy for a whole month now. I think it's time to get back to modeling. :)

the 48th regulator said:
I agree, fantastic work.

I used to build models when I was much much younger, and still have a facination with models, in particular figures.

Again, excellent work!

dileas

tess

+1,  Echo That, Fantastic Work.

Cheers

How exactly do you scratch build these models? I don't fully understand ???

You don't use any sort of model kit at all?  A level of skill that high is mind blowing.

kr1kit said:
How exactly do you scratch build these models? I don't fully understand ???

You don't use any sort of model kit at all?  A level of skill that high is mind blowing.

Scratch building is where you bash two or more kits together, plus a lot of modifications with plastic sheets or wood.

Actually, Scratchbuilding is when you build from ground up without the help of any pieces of kit.

Kitbashing is taking two kits or different kits and fusing them together(so to speak) to make a particular model.  You can also add scratchbuilt parts to kitbashing. Majority of the builds are either heavily scratchbuilt models or kitbashed with moderatescratchbuilding. I am not working on doing a Stryker ATGM. Here is a pic of the beginning stage. Now what you see below is an AFV Club Strker kit with scratch building mount TOW. All white parts are styrene pieces of plastic to get the look of the particular variant I'm building.:

strykeratgm2.jpg

strykeratgm.jpg

what kinda equipment do you need to do these kind of models? I have a Bradley, but it never turned out the way I want it to... pointers?

MedTech said:
what kinda equipment do you need to do these kind of models? I have a Bradley, but it never turned out the way I want it to... pointers?

You mean what kind of equipment I need to build the specific parts??? If so, then I the only thing I use is hobby knife, scissors, drill and glue :) The get the odd shapes, I first draw on paaper to get the shap I want and then cut it out and use the pre-shaped papper as a guide to cut the plastic into the shape I need to glue it together.

how thick are the plastics and what kind? Is it readily available at model shops? Are there currently any Canadian figures available as part of the models?

Here is a link (below the pic] to the WIP I did of this LAV III:

photo2.jpg

Here is the link: http://one-step-further.com/WIP/CanadianLAVIIIWIP/index.html

MedTech said:
how thick are the plastics and what kind? Is it readily available at model shops? Are there currently any Canadian figures available as part of the models?

The plastics thickness are different depending on the prototype parts I am modelling. Ranges are anywhere between 1-3mm thickness. Here is a link to plaststruct, one of the styrene types of plastic that I use:

http://www.plastruct.com/Home.html

Here is another model that is 100% scratch built:

photo1.jpg

Here are the WIP shots: http://one-step-further.com/WIP/PatriotLauncherMountwithCannister/index.html

tiking

Nice stuff, the picture of the queen mary - brought back some good memories.  Just out of curiosity, when designing from scratch - do you go from some kind of plans (either purchased or hand made) or do go from pictures (and I know there are all sorts of detailed pictures avail). 

Great work and kudos to having the patience and know-how to make some of these detailed masterpieces.

plattypuss said:
tiking

Nice stuff, the picture of the queen mary - brought back some good memories.  Just out of curiosity, when designing from scratch - do you go from some kind of plans (either purchased or hand made) or do go from pictures (and I know there are all sorts of detailed pictures avail). 

Great work and kudos to having the patience and know-how to make some of these detailed masterpieces.

Thanks. I wish I had plans to go by but unfortunately I never seem to find any. So I go by looking at pics. I have a method that I go by and I call it Deductive Scaling. :)

Deductive scaling...elementary my dear Watson, elementary  ;)

Thx. Fascinating stuff to be sure.

plattypuss said:
Deductive scaling...elementary my dear Watson, elementary  ;)

Thx. Fascinating stuff to be sure.

Thank you for the vote of confidence :)

Back