• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Substitute for rifle for ruck marches

carl_54

Inactive
Reaction score
  This is an odd question. I searched both army.ca and google extensively, but I have been unable to find any good ideas for a substitute of the C7 for ruck marches. I am a reservist not on course right now, and I would like to continue ruck marching.

I've read that rucking with something in your hands makes it very different and I've also found this to be true. I was thinking about an ez-curl bar maybe? Sure it would look ridiculous, but it may work. Any creative ideas guys?

Thanks,
Carl

Sure! A Ring's Bluegun... If you've got a few hundred bucks to spare and you'll get one that looks exaclty like the C7 minus the optic.

Another cheaper, lower-profile solution might be dumbbells weighing as much as the rifle - I used to do that at the gym when practicing rifle PT.

Carting a rifle around on your own time, probably a good way to get the cops called....

carl_54 said:
  This is an odd question. I searched both army.ca and google extensively, but I have been unable to find any good ideas for a substitute of the C7 for ruck marches. I am a reservist not on course right now, and I would like to continue ruck marching.

I've read that rucking with something in your hands makes it very different and I've also found this to be true. I was thinking about an ez-curl bar maybe? Sure it would look ridiculous, but it may work. Any creative ideas guys?

Thanks,
Carl

I would agree with the ez-curl bar, if you can find one that weights 7-8 lbs.  Mind you, after doing all the marchs on basic, I can honestly say that the rifle was never a problem, our staff let us switch around how we were carrying our rifle for the 13 km march so our arms didn't get sore or tires.  I would worry more about getting your feet used to that much walking.

newmet said:
I would agree with the ez-curl bar, if you can find one that weights 7-8 lbs.  Mind you, after doing all the marchs on basic, I can honestly say that the rifle was never a problem, our staff let us switch around how we were carrying our rifle for the 13 km march so our arms didn't get sore or tires.  I would worry more about getting your feet used to that much walking.

But the point of carrying a weapon is not necessarily geared around 'how you do it on a BFT/13km march at CFLRS'.  (The last BFT I did Oct 2006, I did it with no sling, wpn in the ready position, by choice.  It irked me to see people strapping it to their ruck saying "Its not like I am gonna have to use it today".  All training is for war.  Train the way you fight, fight the way you train).

"Combat" is a word that comes to mind.  Ready to effectively engage someone who is trying to effectively engage you...sort of thing.  My brain is digging thru cobwebs and saying "double tap, dash, down...".  I had to stop as the smoke was at risk of setting off the fire alarm.

I agree with Eye in the Sky.
C7 should be carried like you mean it. Not slung or stashed in the ruck.

And yes the smoke did set off the fire alarms!! ;D

OldSolduer said:
I agree with Eye in the Sky.
C7 should be carried like you mean it. Not slung or stashed in the ruck.

And yes the smoke did set off the fire alarms!! ;D

Well whats wrong with using a sling wile carrying it in the ready position?

NL_engineer said:
Well whats wrong with using a sling wile carrying it in the ready position?

I'm pretty sure OS meant slung and just hanging off the shoulder

I said it once, I'll say it again. Ruck with a Blue Gun or an ASP Red Gun firearms simulator if you're really looking for something that's coool ;D

Just a Sig Op said:
Carting a rifle around on your own time, probably a good way to get the cops called....

Happy greetings and warm fuzziness to all.

;D Especially after dark or at sunset etc. Civilians are generally thick when it comes to weapons, even blue ones, and in my opinion not all cops are switched on either. If you ar going blue, do your PT on Defence land, if not do find a true substitute other than a rifle.

Serinity now,

OWDU

Back