• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The best course of action to remuster as a SARtech?

squatch

Inactive
Reaction score
I've completed my BMQ, and am sitting on PAT pl, and contemplating the merits of my choice as an Infantry soldier, if i'm hoping to remuster as a SARtech later on.  I am considering an OT to Engineer, or Medtech,  as they are more suited to the SAR trade, I am also a trained paramedic.  Of course there is the Pioneers in the Infantry...........  Any advice from those who KNOW! would be greatly appreciated.

Of course there is the Pioneers in the Infantry........... 

Hate to be the bearer of bad news - Pioneers are long gone.  :-[

squatch said:
I've completed my BMQ, and am sitting on PAT pl, and contemplating the merits of my choice as an Infantry soldier, if i'm hoping to remuster as a SARtech later on.  I am considering an OT to Engineer, or Medtech,  as they are more suited to the SAR trade, I am also a trained paramedic.  Of course there is the Pioneers in the Infantry...........  Any advice from those who KNOW! would be greatly appreciated.
???  Engineer?  Medtech?  Pioneer?  I don't know where you are getting your information, but it is not very good.

SAR Techs have to be extremely physically fit.  They have to be very knowledgeable in First Aid.  None of the things you mentioned comes close to these requirements.

SAR Techs can come from any Trade, but you would not be wrong going Infantry.  Get a Jump Course, and lots of First Aid Crses.  Become a First Aid Instructor.  Things like that will do you much more towards an OT to SAR Tech, than learning how to be an Engineer, or how to fix Medical Equipment.  As was mentioned, forget Pioneers.

Stay with the Infantry and work hard.

George Wallace said:
???  Engineer?  Medtech?  Pioneer?  I don't know where you are getting your information, but it is not very good.

SAR Techs have to be extremely physically fit.  They have to be very knowledgeable in First Aid.  None of the things you mentioned comes close to these requirements.

SAR Techs can come from any Trade, but you would not be wrong going Infantry.  Get a Jump Course, and lots of First Aid Crses.  Become a First Aid Instructor.  Things like that will do you much more towards an OT to SAR Tech, than learning how to be an Engineer, or how to fix Medical Equipment.  As was mentioned, forget Pioneers.

Stay with the Infantry and work hard.

Umm, I am sure being being a civy qualified paramedic would help, as would being a medtech as they are also qualified paramedics.  I think you are confusing medtech for something else George.

Edited to add this link http://www.town.coalhurst.ab.ca/town/TownNewsJanuary2006/index15.html found using google, although I think there is a related thread about this somewhere on the board.  To summarize the link, you can now directly enter the SAR Tech trade off the street if you are semi-skilled (ie you are a qualified civy paramedic), the deadline for this year however was April 30.

Yes, I realized you are a civy qualified paramedic, but it still would work to your advantage to do the extra Medical and First Aid Trg in the Military and also be a First Aid Instructor (to go along with a PLQ).

Sorry about my confusion on the use of the term Med Tech, I always just call them Medics or Med A's (Medical Assistants), and mixed up that term (Med Tech) with what is now called a BE Tech.  Links below for anyone else who may be like minded or confused:

Biomedical Electronics Technologist  (BE TECH)
http://www.recruiting.dnd.ca/engraph/career/tradeinfo_e.aspx?id=718

Medical Technician  (MED A)
http://www.recruiting.dnd.ca/engraph/career/tradeinfo_e.aspx?id=737

If you want to be a SAR Tech, nothng wrong with being in the infantry prior to remuster - alot of them are ex combat arms.  Of course if you're a qualified paramedic, I'm kind of wondering why you were'nt steered towards med tech - you're already half trained and we're short.  Anyhow, good luck whichever path you choose.

MM

If you are a qualified paramedic, what are you doing in the army? Can't find a job on civy street?

Stay infantry, or go engineers...it does not matter. Either way you will have to serve 4 yrs in your trade, become a Cpl before you apply.

And once you do apply, you will have to prove yourself extremely fit, motivated and dedicated to one of the CFs elite roles.

Good luck with that.

One of the guys I used to work with successfully transferred to SAR tech from AVN.  It was his 3rd application I believe, but his first attempt at the pre-selection course.  To prepare: he followed the JTF pre-selection training package, got lots of extra first aid training, certified on the civvie side as a scuba diver, got his freefall certificate, and had his ship's diver course.  It just takes hard work and dedication, you can get there from any trade.  Good luck.

You might be interested in this link which is actively searching for direct entries into SAR Tech.

http://www.town.coalhurst.ab.ca/town/TownNewsJanuary2006/index15.html

Kirsten Luomala said:
You might be interested in this link which is actively searching for direct entries into SAR Tech.

http://www.town.coalhurst.ab.ca/town/TownNewsJanuary2006/index15.html

Already posted in third message of this thread.

Put your time in and then apply, You will gain a wealth of knowledge and experience by putting your time in, rather then trying to switch over now.

Back