• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Martial Arts Superthread

I think any martial art is better than no martial art.Confidence and physical fitness are biggies.

I did Taekwondo for a few years,found it was too sports orientated for me.
Have a few years of Aikido and a couple months MMA and both have worked well.

Jeeze Kat, just wait until he trys to sign up for that at the YMCA....  ;D

Flawed Design: How costly are those classes to take? Do you get a good workout from them? I need to sign up for something as I'm getting bored of running and hitting the gym...swimming is my new thing, for now...

Thanks.

popnfresh said:
Flawed Design: How costly are those classes to take? Do you get a good workout from them? I need to sign up for something as I'm getting bored of running and hitting the gym...swimming is my new thing, for now...

Thanks.

Costs vary.  I'm paying $100 for 3 months currently. Some places (albeit not many) charge less, some like 'Fang Shen Do Kung-Fu' which are all over the place charge a lot more.  Lots of places are big money grabs or act as daycare schools. Taekwondo is bad for that.

Workouts vary depending on the school and how serious they are about training. Roll around on the ground with someone for 2 or 3 minutes and you'll be ready to barf.

I was doing TKD for a while during my teenage time, the TKD style was changing accordling to the school affiliated Grand Master. In my case, the school was more on the sport than the fighting. Also, we didn't use much of our fist, it was far from kick boxing, and we were not allowed to hit the face until reaching the black belt.

So it depends what you are looking for, closer to combat or more to sport, also you prefere develop your ability in graping and/or ground stuff such as judo or Aikido, the non-ground-all-on-your-feet like TKD and Karate or the full in your face like the kick boxing. There are also the Russian one and so on that are described in the present thread. Don't forget to get "a smell" of the general students attitude, as some schools are more friendly "we are all here to learn and doing sport" and other are competition oriented or fighting oriented.

In any case, martial art it is a great training, I miss it.

my  :2c:

Strike said:
Moe, in the case of The RCR situation, they were mostly covered because it constituted training that was beneficial to the Infantry.  Now, however, TKD is recognized by the military, as mentioned in a CANFORGEN that came out earlier this year.  I'm sitting in a hotel right now and don't have easy access to the DIN so you'll forgive me if I don't post this reference.

All the sports listed on this CANFORGEN are activities that are recognized by the CF, in that you don't need CoC permission to participate and will be covered if you get hurt going to, competing in, or coming back from an event.  It also means that money is available for members to be sent to and compete in certain approved events.

As for the support to attending training by a non-base club/team, I'm still not sure about that one, but should by COB tomorrow.

Here's the CANFORGEN regarding Extreme Sports.  Please note that there is no info in this regarding funding.  That may be something you have to take up with your base/unit.

CANFORGEN link (access on DWAN only)

CANFORGEN 061/09 CMP 027/09 061655Z APR 09
CHANGES TO THE CF SPORTS PROGRAM
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. CF HEALTH AND PHYSICAL FITNESS STRATEGY
B. CFAO 50-3

1.    OVER THE PAST 18 MONTHS, THE CF HAVE PLACED GREAT EMPHASIS ON PHYSICAL FITNESS. THE SPORTS PROGRAM HAS TRADITIONALLY BEEN AN IMPORTANT MEANS OF IMPROVING AND MAINTAINING THE PHYSICAL FITNESS LEVELS OF CF MEMBERS.

2.    IN RECOGNITION OF THE IMPORTANCE OF SPORT, THE FOLLOWING SPORTS WILL BE ADDED TO THE CF NATIONAL SPORTS PROGRAM EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: GOLF, TRIATHLON, TAEKWONDO, SWIMMING, WOMEN S SOCCER AND THE CF ATHLETIC CHALLENGE WHICH WILL INCLUDE SPORTS ACTIVITIES SUCH AS SHOOTING, SWIMMING, RUNNING AND OBSTACLE RACE.

3.    THE CF CISM SPORTS PROGRAM WILL ALSO BE EXPANDED TO INCLUDE FENCING AND MILITARY PENTATHLON

4.    IN ADDITION REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT CAMPS WILL BE FUNDED AND GRANTED THE SAME STATUS AS REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS FOR TRIATHLON, SWIMMING AND TAEKWONDO. REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT CAMPS WILL PROVIDE ATHLETIC AND COACHING DEVELOPMENT AND WILL ASSIST IN THE SELECTION OF ATHLETES FOR CF NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

5.    EXTREME SPORTS WILL ALSO BE ADDED TO THE SPORTS PROGRAM. THE MEDIA USE THE TERM EXTREME SPORTS, ALSO CALLED ACTION SPORTS AND ADVENTURE SPORTS, TO DESIGNATE CERTAIN ACTIVITIES PERCEIVED AS HAVING A HIGH LEVEL OF INHERENT RISK OR DIFFICULTY AND OFTEN INVOLVING SPEED, HEIGHT, A HIGH LEVEL OF PHYSICAL EXERTION, AND HIGHLY SPECIALIZED EQUIPMENT

6.    TO IMPLEMENT EXTREME SPORTS, REF B PARA 31 IS DELETED AND REPLACED BY THE FOLLOWING: QUOTE THE ENTRY OF INDIVIDUALS INTO CIVILIAN COMPETITIONS INCLUDING EXTREME SPORTS AND ACTIVITIES SHALL BE AUTHORIZED WHEN SUCH PARTICIPATION MAY BE EXPECTED TO BRING CREDIT TO THE CF. THE CONDITIONS AND APPROVING AUTHORITIES FOR PARTICIPATION IN CIVILIAN COMPETITIONS ARE CONTAINED IN ANNEX B. APPLICATION FOR APPROVAL SHALL BE SUBMITTED IN ACCORDANCE WITH APPENDIX 1 TO ANNEX B. IN NO CASE WILL PARTICIPATION IN CIVILIAN COMPETITIONS TAKE PRIORITY OVER THE DEVELOPMENT OF BASE PROGRAMS OR CONFLICT WITH PARTICIPATION IN CF REGIONAL OR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. ADDITIONALLY APPLICANTS WHO WISH TO PARTICIPATE IN EXTREME SPORTS AND ACTIVITIES ARE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

(A) A DETAILED RESUME OUTLINING THE MEMBERS EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS CERTIFICATIONS AND PREPAREDNESS RELATING TO PARTICIPATION IN THE SPORTS COMPETITION OR ACTIVITY IDENTIFYING POTENTIAL RISKS AND STEPS TAKEN TO MITIGATE THEM

(B) RESULTS OF A VALID CF FITNESS EVALUATION COMPLETED WITHIN SIX MONTHS OF THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE SPORTS COMPETITION OR ACTIVITY

(C) FOR COMPETITIONS OR ACTIVITIES THAT CONTAIN ANY WATER-RELATED SEGMENT, THE MEMBER MUST SHOW PROOF OF COMPLETING THE CF BASIC MILITARY SWIM STANDARD TEST WITHIN SIX MONTHS OF THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE SPORTS COMPETITION OR ACTIVITY

(D) A STATEMENT DESCRIBING HOW PARTICIPATION IN THE EXTREME SPORT OR ACTIVITY RELATES TO SERVICE AS A MILITARY MEMBER UNQUOTE

7.    THE FOLLOWING IS A LIST OF EXTREME SPORTS AND ACTIVITIES THAT ARE NOT COVERED BY THIS POLICY:

(A) MOTORIZED SPORTING ACTIVITIES SUCH AS: RALLY, MOTOR RACING AND ULTRA LIGHT FLYING

(B) BOXING

(C) EXTREME COMBAT ACTIVITIES SUCH AS: ULTIMATE FIGHTING, MIXED MARTIAL ARTS

(D) HUMANITARIAN AND CHARITABLE PROJECTS

(E) ORGANIZED MILITARY MARCHES, E.G. THE NIJMEGEN MARCHES

(F) BUNGEE JUMPING

8.    QUESTIONS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO DGPFSS DSRM, JOHANNE THIBAULT AT 613-992-0424

9.    THESE CHANGES SERVE TO STRENGTHEN THE CF S COMMITMENT TO PHYSICAL FITNESS AND HEALTH AS DETAILED IN THE CF HEALTH AND FITNESS STRATEGY

The CF endorses TaeKwonDoe but not

(B) BOXING
or

Silliness

eek2.gif

Flawed Design said:
The CF endorses TaeKwonDoe but not

(B) BOXING
or

Silliness

Considering most of the techniques covered in the CF approved Close Quarter Combat course are Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, Hapkido, etc, its positively insane that "Extreme Combat Activities" would not be covered in a profession that requires all members to perform in combat situations at a moments notice.

We had this discussion in another thread about TKD and Muay Thai and various other combative sports.

I am of the opinion that these sports would benefit most members, if not only for the fitness aspect of it. I can see an argument not to let members compete in such sports, but definitely think you should be allowed to train in those areas.

I am currently trying to get approved to train in Muay Thai, not compete, but just to train. It is a great workout, fun, motivational, and obviously could have it's uses, even if it's only a mental and fitness edge. If I can't get it approved, I'm hoping to get Kenpo Karate approved, since TKD and Kenpo are different arts but in competition they're nearly identical. I may also try for BJJ approval. Training in BJJ is very safe. As long as you're not stupid enough to not tap, little damage can be done. If you are that dumb, you might deserve to have your arm snapped off.

I also remember looking at the many CF Sports HOF members that are posted up at the Mega, and a large amount of them were for boxing. Boxing is such a traditional military sport too. I agree whole-heartedly you should be able to train in these areas.

It is definitely back asswards.

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread.

Many bases now have BJJ clubs and I am just newly posted to CFB Edmonton and am hooping to train at the base gym.

Brodie said:
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread.

For reference, perhaps,

Is there any BJJ going on at the base gym at CFB Edmonton?

will be merged with,

The Martial Arts Superthread
http://army.ca/forums/threads/706.150.html
7 pages.

Back