• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The mysterious last steps of a 69-year romance

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
I almost posted this in Military History as one of the subjects of the story served in the RCAF during WWII as a pilot instructor but thought it might go better here.

Article Link

Margaret Berrington celebrated her 91st birthday on May 27 at her Calgary bungalow with her 90-year-old husband, Allen, as family and friends dropped by for drinks and cake. When the last well-wishers left that Thursday afternoon, the couple, married 69 years, appeared ready to settle in for the evening.

“Actually, they wanted us to stay longer, so that told me they had no plans to go anywhere,” recalled their son, Ken Berrington.

Ken and his wife, Wendy, said their goodbyes between 5 and 5:30 p.m. It wasn’t until Monday afternoon when another of the couple’s children, daughter Darlene Graham, popped by the tidy Rutland Park home in the city’s southwest, that the family realized something was amiss. Remnants of the birthday party were still strewn about, but the couple and their silver 2007 Chrysler Sebring were gone.

Days of searching proved fruitless as police admitted they were “stumped.”

A week after the party, and 120 kilometres northwest of their home, recreational dirt bikers would solve at least part of the mystery. The Berringtons’ sedan, abandoned and out of gas, was located on a dirt track used only by those with all-terrain vehicles or heavy-duty trucks with four-wheel drive. The couple was three kilometres to the south. Their bodies lay 10 metres apart.

Police have ruled out foul play, but painful questions remain about how and why the couple died on the remote forest road.

More at link

Very mysterious indeed.  Although, what is more mysterious in my mind is why the G&M hasn't deleted more of the comments.  Some of them are very rude and insensitive.  :mad:

Back