• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

This Might Be a New One- Polydactyl- 12 Fingers and Toes

Burnzz

Inactive
Reaction score
i want to join up when I finish high school (less than a year now). I do track, swim and play rugby. My math and science grades are really good. My urine is clean. The problem is that I am a polydactyl, 12 fingers, 12 toes. It's never been a problem, except when I have to wear gloves. When I played hockey as a kid, I could get away scrunching my pinks and ring finger together, but other than that I have always had to have gloves custom made or sew an extra finger on. My grip is strong, and I use all my digits when typing or TRYING to play guitar. i have only talked to my cousin so far (whose serving) and he thinks I could still get in. All the websites I have looked at say Polydactyls are disqualified, but they always seem to hint that it would be different if the extra digit functions properly.

Would I still be disqualified? Is there anything I can do/say in the interview that might make it go one way or the other?
Surgery is NOT an option, neither is being a desk jockey.

EDIT: For search purposes.
Bruce

Your best bet would be to call and talk to a recruiter, or use their online chat. Both options are not available until Monday though.

Polydactyly is not, by itself, an outright disqualifier. That being said, none of us are in a position to give a definitive answer. Apply and see what happens.

Cool, thanks. I'll amke the appointment Monday.

If I get in, my codename will be Hex.

Not a doctor, but I DID take a TCCC course and stayed at a Holiday Inn once...

I know a couple guys with "interesting" hands.  Not polydactyl.  They're in, reg force, serve in an infantry unit, have served in Afghanistan more than once, one of them is an officer, I believe he is a Major.  If you can make it work, then make it work and get on with it.  That's what these fellas do day to day.  I don't forsee this being an issue. 

Then again, see my opening statement.

@CDN Aviator CIA? A little unpatriotic, CSIS FTW!

Seriously though, I have NEVER had a nickname, even an insulting one, ever. I know it's a very small thing to pine about, but I am looking forward to some comradery.... and a nick/codename.

Burnzz said:
@CDN Aviator CIA? A little unpatriotic, CSIS FTW!

Seriously though, I have NEVER had a nickname, even an insulting one, ever. I know it's a very small thing to pine about, but I am looking forward to some comradery.... and a nick/codename.

Well don't expect it to be "cool" like Hex... Expect a childish or simple nick name.  One that has to do with some short form of your last name or a crude reference to your extra appendages.  Off the top of my head... Pinky.

Burnzz said:
Cool, thanks. I'll amke the appointment Monday.

If I get in, my codename will be Hex.

You don't really get to decide your "nickname", trust me, if you get a nickname and/or callsign, it's because you did something stupid at one point. Although i like the Pinky one already, might want to keep that to yourself if you get in cause it might stick with you all the way.

You might wake up with a "Beware Thou the Mutant" sign hanging on your bedspsace...

MM

medicineman said:
Read "The Chrysalids" by John Wyndham...it's alot more sinister than funny.

MM

Sean, that's a great book. The last time I read that must have been in '74 or '75.

Cool, Polydactylism runs in my family as well - but as a sex-linked genetic condition, only males pass it on. My grandfather, uncle, and cousin had it. They all had the extra digits removed after birth.

I hadn't heard of anyone else with it in a long time.

The family joke was that as all the men are also over six feet tall, we must be descendants of Goliath......

ModlrMike said:
Sean, that's a great book. The last time I read that must have been in '74 or '75.

The one novel in high school I really enjoyed...I still read it once in awhile.

MM

not including the time in school I HAD to read it, I think I must have have read it about twice myself (if I remember correctly , it takes place in future Labrador ), the last time was  about 25 years ago though...

Burnzz said:
i want to join up when I finish high school (less than a year now). I do track, swim and play rugby. My math and science grades are really good. My urine is clean. The problem is that I am a polydactyl, 12 fingers, 12 toes. It's never been a problem, except when I have to wear gloves. When I played hockey as a kid, I could get away scrunching my pinks and ring finger together, but other than that I have always had to have gloves custom made or sew an extra finger on. My grip is strong, and I use all my digits when typing or TRYING to play guitar. i have only talked to my cousin so far (whose serving) and he thinks I could still get in. All the websites I have looked at say Polydactyls are disqualified, but they always seem to hint that it would be different if the extra digit functions properly.

Would I still be disqualified? Is there anything I can do/say in the interview that might make it go one way or the other?
Surgery is NOT an option, neither is being a desk jockey.

EDIT: For search purposes.
Bruce

and it hasn't caused any problems? THAT IS SO COOL!  8)

Back