• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tim Hortons’ double dribble

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Tim Hortons’ double dribble
Why is Tim Hortons, with its leaky coffee cups, sitting out the race to build a better lid?
Article Link

Every morning millions of bleary-eyed students, factory workers and cubicle dwellers are united in their quest for a Tim Hortons “fix.” Well, that, and the unending frustration that is the #&@% Tim Hortons coffee lid. You know what we’re talking about. The little plastic tab that’s supposed to tear back and fit snugly into the notch but tends to rip at an angle instead, leaving a jagged edge. Even if the tab tears properly, it’s always popping back up anyway. And the leaks!!! The primary function of a lid is simple enough—keep liquid and heat in the cup—yet as the dampened masses of the Tim Hortons nation can attest, the company’s lids seem specifically designed to liberate one’s beverage from the cup and send it dribbling down your hand and onto your shirt. We’ve all been there. Only, it doesn’t have to be this way.

The coffee lid has gone through a revolution in recent years. You can see that in the superior lids on offer from Tim Hortons’ many rivals. Every year dozens of new disposable lid “inventions” are filed with patent offices. Never have there been so many enterprising and reliable lid designs for restaurants to choose from—lids with raised and contoured spouts, ones that rotate to open and close, anti-spill lids engineered with chambers to keep coffee from leaking out, and even “smart” lids that function like a French press or that change colour with the temperature of your drink.

Yet, through it all, Tim Hortons has sat squarely on the sidelines. Now, even as Tim Hortons celebrates the 25th anniversary of its Roll Up The Rim contest this week, a grassroots campaign is gaining steam among Facebook users and bloggers who all share the same unrelenting message for the company: ordering a double double shouldn’t have to mean dribble dribble.

Doug Stitt, an American living in Columbus, Ohio, is one of them, though until recently he thought he was alone in his frustration. Shortly after Stitt moved to the city in the late 1990s, he fell in love with Tim Hortons coffee. The chain had only just opened up there, one of several beachheads in its effort to crack the U.S. market. Since then, Stitt, who works in design and marketing, has been a regular, stopping off at least three times a week to start his day. But as much as he craves the coffee, he loathes the lids. “They’re not just bad in one way, they’re bad in every way,” he says.

Oh, he’s tried workarounds, or as he calls it, “MacGyvering” the lids. To overcome the malfunctioning tab he sometimes cuts it off completely, though that just leaves a gaping hole through which the heat and drink escapes. (Not to mention mounds of tabs littering his car floor.) To tackle the leakage, he bought a reusable lid that he carries around with him, should the need arise. But even then, the backup lid only stops leaks sporadically.
The inadequacy of Tim Hortons’ lids has only became more pronounced as one rival chain after another upgraded their cups and lids. Not just big companies either, he notes. “You see one-off coffee shops counting pennies to make the rent and they have functioning lids,” he says. “It drives you crazy.”
Yet for years Stitt stewed largely to himself. Then a few weeks ago he decided to find out once and for all if the issue was worth the mental energy he’d expended on it. So he searched Facebook and was struck by what he found. “There are so many other people out there who feel exactly the same way. It turns out I’m not completely ridiculous.”

Far from it. As of last week, there were close to 70 Facebook groups with nearly 3,000 members railing against Tim Hortons lids. They swap lid horror stories, tips and tricks for jerry-rigging the lids, and plead with the company to find a better replacement. There are YouTube videos offering advice on how to counter the lid’s flaws. (In one, a customer explains what’s needed to achieve “spillprooficity”—just push the flap down into the cup to form a spill barrier, which is fine if you don’t mind submersing a piece of plastic who knows how many other people have touched into your drink.) And the lids have spawned countless tirades on consumer forums across the Internet. The caption on one photo of a Timmy’s cup standing in a puddle of coffee reads: “The face of the enemy.”

Tim Hortons is guarded about the issue. The company didn’t make anyone available for an interview, but Tim Hortons’ head of public affairs, David Morelli, did release a statement to Maclean’s saying internal research indicates the vast majority of customers are happy with the current style of lids. “With more than two billion cups of coffee served every year, we’re not surprised some people disagree,” he wrote, adding the company knows its customers are passionate about its products and that it takes their comments seriously. And to be fair, Tim Hortons clearly isn’t suffering from a consumer backlash—in its most recent quarter, sales were up 9.8 per cent to $670.5 million from the year before. Still, Morelli offered a flicker of hope: “Lids are an important part of the coffee-drinking experience, and we’ll continue to look for ways to improve on them.”

Pages: 1 of 2
More on page 2 at link

I can't say I'm in this boat... I haven't found any chronic problems with the lid, except every now and then when it's not put all the way on by the person that hands it to me.

If you tear the flap and then stuff it down into the mug instead of folding it back, it even stops the coffee from spilling out of the drinkhole while you drive. What more could you ask for? ;D

I have to agree with the article. I'm getting a leaky lid rate of about 75%. P*sses me off as I drink my coffee black. Scaled hands are not what I expect, not do I expect coffee to leak all over my car or desk.

If the flap pops back up, just squeeze the two raised plastic ridges inwards towards the arrow.  Works every time for me.  :)

I have found that most of the ones I get that leak, is not from a lid malfunction.  It is either from the server not putting the lid on properly, or the cups leak around the seams on the side or bottom.

A good TH worker will align the opening of the lid with the ridge where the cup wraps around itself, creating a slightly bigger rim in that location. This is where I find all my leaks coming from. So if the server has not done so, I will fix it myself.

Try it, let me know if it works for you.

A friend of mine, who drinks extra large English Toffee at least once a day put me wise to a great idea. In the middle of the lid is a little hole. If you pick at it with a key (I have a tiny screw driver on my key ring that works too) you can open up a hole large enough to put a straw in. Problem solved! I never open the lid the way they intended, and never spill my coffee.

Hawk

Hawk said:
A friend of mine, who drinks extra large English Toffee at least once a day put me wise to a great idea. In the middle of the lid is a little hole. If you pick at it with a key (I have a tiny screw driver on my key ring that works too) you can open up a hole large enough to put a straw in. Problem solved! I never open the lid the way they intended, and never spill my coffee.

Hawk

Ever suck hot tea or any other beverage (their coffee isn't hot, by comparison) up through a straw. Youch!

Back