• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tom Clancy, 1947-2013, R.I.P.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
From the NY Times:
Tom Clancy, whose complex, adrenaline-fueled military novels made him one of the world’s best-selling and best-known authors, died on Tuesday in a hospital in Baltimore. He was 66.

Ivan Held, the president of G. P. Putnam’s Sons, his publisher, did not provide a cause of death.

Mr. Clancy’s books were successfully transformed into blockbuster Hollywood films, including “Patriot Games,” “The Hunt for Red October“ and “Clear and Present Danger.”

His next book, “Command Authority,” is planned for publication on Dec. 3.

Seventeen of his novels were No. 1 New York Times best sellers, including his most recent, “Threat Vector,” which was released in December 2012.

Sales of his books made him a millionaire. His family moved into a five-bedroom house in Calvert County, Md., and acquired an 80-acre farm on the Chesapeake Bay. He became a part owner of the Baltimore Orioles. He even bought a tank ....
More here (Google News)
Tom_Clancy.jpg

Many hours of enjoyment reading his books over the years.  Sorry to hear of his passing.  He was in a class of his own in many ways.

The Hunt for Red October was a fascinating read.  I think I polished it off in two or three days, and I read it again and again.  I was less than pleased with Red Storm Rising, but that's probably because it paled in comparison with the Hunt for Red October.  As I understand it, he used the game Harpoon to game various operations in the novel, such as the invasion of Iceland.  He did this in collaboration with Larry Bond, creator of the Harpoon series.

RIP

jollyjacktar said:
Many hours of enjoyment reading his books over the years.  Sorry to hear of his passing.  He was in a class of his own in many ways.

Yes he was...

So sad. I remember him actually putting Alex Trebek on the spot on Celebrity Jeopardy once when asked what the premise of his next novel was. Definitely someone I feel I 'grew up' with.

Pat

RIP Mr Clancy.

I really enjoyed Cardinal of the Kremlin as well the Red October and Red Storm Rising.  I was introduced to his books by my father, who handed his original copy "Hunt for Red October" to me a few moons ago. 

Pat in Halifax said:
Definitely someone I feel I 'grew up' with.

100% agreed.  I remember I was in grade 4 when I took hunt for Red October from my dad and started reading it.

RIP Tom :salute:

Red Storm Rising was the first one I read.

We need a new techno thriller author.....

So many great books, i stopped reading his stuff when he started collaborating with other writers on a few series.  Debt of honor is one of my all time favorite.

Aye,

I have a 2nd edition of Hunt for Red October on my shelf here.  With the jacket.  Alas, it will never be a signed copy.

Rest peacefully Tom.  Your books built a genre of novel for us.  Thank-you.

I liked his early novels, the later huge brick like ones not so much.

Still, had many hours of enjoyment reading his novels, and when he lent his name to non fiction collaborations (like "Into the Storm"), his name power probably brought a lot more people to read and perhaps understand some aspects of military history and units.

RIP

I think Hunt for Red October was his best work.  I tried to finish Rainbow Six a few times, but it never hooked me. 

Without Remorse - Kelly doing the things we all wish we could get away with. 

RIP.

I loved everything he wrote up to The Bear and the Dragon and Red Rabbit.  Never got into any of his collaborative works, though.

Rest in peace, sir.  You made our world a little brighter and inspired many.

Back