• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Traffic Ticket

88may

Reaction score
Hi I have a sorta unique situation that I needed help with.

Last week I got a traffic ticket for failing to yield at a left turn and I was wondering if this could stop my enrolment? I've been hearing mixed advice on this as some are saying that my file will be closed until this is resolved while others informed me that I would likely just delay my enrolment. Since I was driving my parents' car they've asked me to appeal the ticket so our insurance wouldn't take so much of a hit. The ticket is only for about $80 but my insurance would go up by a couple hundred if I plead guilty. I checked the DOAD and it said that the "legal obligations" section only pertained to criminal charges or sentencing but I'm unsure if this counts. I've been reading through the threads on here and reddit but most of them are specific to speeding or DUIs which, I know can sometimes turn into criminal charges here in Ontario. I'm all for informing my recruiter about this and being transparent but I just wanted to know if this would cost me the enrolment? I just want to be prepared. Thank you!

Last edited:
I'll let others speak to the recruiting impact, but 'rules of the road' violation, such as failing to yield or speeding are violations of Ontario's Highway Traffic Act. Impaired driving ("DUI") is a criminal offence; always has been.

Whether a single provincial violation impacts you insurance is up to your insurance company. Unless you plan to represent yourself in court, I suppose you would have to weight the cost of a lawyer/ticket agent against the premium increase.

I'm unclear why you wouldn't talk to the recruiter. The ticket will either have no bearing, or put it on hold until it is resolved one way or the other. The risk is trying to look deceptive.

"Legal Obligations" are not just criminal charges - this could be as complex as a DUI, or something as simple as you being a witness to a crime where you're going to be called as a witness at trial. With the failing to yield ticket, if you're going to fight it, you'll need to find out if you need to appear in court. Approx 10 years ago I fought a speeding ticket (won), but never had to appear to in court. Think of it this way, if you're in St. Jean on training and need to attend court (for any reason) you're going to miss training - this is why the CAF needs to know about it.

Back