• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transfer Value... buying an annuity?

ballz

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello all,

Never seen this option before... I was always told that, as I am under 50 and not entitled to an immediate annuity, my pension options are:

1. Deferred annuity, starting at age 55.
2. Deferred annuity, starting at age 60.
3. Take the transfer value... inside/outside limits, all that jazz.

However, using the tools from the Pension centre's website, it appears that a sub-option of the transfer value is that you can purchase an annuity from a financial institution. Does anybody know anything about this option?

My primary question is... can I use the entire TV to buy an annuity, and then it only gets taxed as it is paid out to me? This option could change my tax planning substantially.

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
From what I understand (RBC option 2 below) purchasing an annuity similar to what you'd otherwise receive as a pension can be transferred without tax implications.

However, I am unclear on what the payout rules for the annuity would be - you'd have to check with the financial institution. If it would deliver similar benefits in a similar timeframe, the additional benefits of indexing plus the ability to be covered with medical / dental insurance once you start receipt on the annuity (paid 50/50, individual and government) may make a deferred annuity worthwhile.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Talk with a financial planner, and make sure you look into what happens with the annuity when you kick the bucket- consider how important it is to your estate planning to have assets for your kids. An annuity might cease to exist when you do.

hattrick72

Reaction score
Are you releasing early? I thought all CAF pension options were immediate annuities?

IMO the lump sum buyout is far too low when you consider the current interest rates.

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Transfer value calculations include interest rates as a factor.