• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transporting Controlled Goods to the UK

Humphrey Bogart

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

On 17 Oct a section from 3 RCR is departing Canada for the UK to participate in the Cambrian Patrol.  We have hit all our checks in the box as far as VCR's, DAGs, etc.. are concerned; however, we have run into a snag when it comes to transporting controlled goods i.e. NVG's, PAQ's, PRR's into the UK.  I have canvassed the CoC for answers to this question on how we go about doing this and what sort of paperwork is req'd; however, I have been getting the run-around and nobody has been able to provide me with a straight answer.  Anyone have any experiences with this or can anyone provide suggestions?

Have you called you base's traffic section ? I mean, that's what Traffic techs are for......

Or call 4 CFMCU....4 Canadian Forces Movements Control Unit............More traffic folks who know this inside out......

Edit: I confused the unit's current name with its old one of CFFTU.

CTAT Help Desk, for general queries & assistance:

Toll Free: (877) 596-4827
In the NCR: (613) 949-8524
Email:    +CTAT Help@DGIIP@Ottawa-Hull 

RoyalDrew said:
.... NVG's, PAQ's, PRR's into the UK.  .... Anyone have any experiences with this or can anyone provide suggestions?

You need to do a TRA (Threat Risk Assessment). Talk to your RPs or the base MP's Security Section. They will be able to definitely tell you what items need to go on one, if any. I am pretty sure they all will. If your Patrol is less than 4wks away, ask them (politely) to rush it.

I really don't know if CTAT has much to do with this, as it is not items that have gone for desposal, but are still in service. 

CMTT should be the SMEs on this. 

My limited experience is that all Serialized Kit must be recorded by container on packing lists.  A copy of what serialized kit is in the container must accompany the container. 

I believe there are timelines whereby you must send copies of those lists/manifests to the appropriate Customs agents at the crossing points (well in advance), and have a manifest/list of serialized kit in your possession when you are clearing that Customs point.  Nothing like arriving at the border and having a Customs Agent refusing you entry.

CTAT has everything to do with it, as it deals with policy pertaining to Controlled Goods.  The CTAT manual points out that in this particular situation, it's likely going to be CANOSCOM J4 that will deal with the matter, as they're the ones most familiar with whatever administration has to happen prior to travel.  The Traffic Techs just move stuff as per waybills - the policy and implementation is done at a higher level.

Occam said:
CTAT has everything to do with it, as it deals with policy pertaining to Controlled Goods.  The CTAT manual points out that in this particular situation, it's likely going to be CANOSCOM J4 that will deal with the matter, as they're the ones most familiar with whatever administration has to happen prior to travel.  The Traffic Techs just move stuff as per waybills - the policy and implementation is done at a higher level.

Policy and implemtation is not what he needs.  He needs documentation and shipping info to be done up in a timely manner.  Reading the Legislation, International Agreements and Government/Inter government Policies will not help.  AND Traffic Techs should have all that information as they are in the business of moving things domestically and internationally.

Occam said:
Traffic techs do a hell of a lot more than "just move stuff as per waybills".  In many of my former positions as a traffic tech in both domestic and international capacities, I coordinated the movement of equipment, liaised with CANOSCOM, and consulted with a number of organizations regarding the maximization of their airlift. So I can assure you that traffic techs do and know a lot more than you may think.

All I can tell you is that I work for ADM(Mat), I've had to do specialized CTAT training up the wazoo just to be able to do my job, I buy/move/issue Controlled Goods equipment/data all over the world on a weekly basis, and I can assure you that Traffic Techs are not the SMEs in this regard.  There's not much more I can say.  :dunno:

Gramps said:
Traffic techs do a hell of a lot more than "just move stuff as per waybills".  In many of my former positions as a traffic tech in both domestic and international capacities, I coordinated the movement of equipment, liaised with CANOSCOM, and consulted with a number of organizations regarding the maximization of their airlift. So I can assure you that traffic techs do and know a lot more than you may think.

...All under CANOSCOM J4/CMSG (or whatever they're going to call themselves after tomorrow) direction. 

I'll leave you guys to it, since there seem to be lots of other experts here to handle it.  Cheers.

Occam said:
All I can tell you is that I work for ADM(Mat)

...All under CANOSCOM J4/CMSG (or whatever they're going to call themselves after tomorrow) direction. 

Much of it, yes but most certainly not all.

Gramps said:

But can you help this guy move his equipment?

If not, you're just cluttering the thread, while banging a noisy immaterial drum.

Fix it or save the platitudes.

recceguy said:
But can you help this guy move his equipment?

If not, you're just cluttering the thread, while banging a noisy immaterial drum.

Fix it or save the platitudes.
Short answer is maybe. Are they moving via commercial carrier, charter or CFC flight? If I can't give the answer, chances are that I can find the answer. There is more to it than hopping on a plane and hoping for the best. Sorry to clutter your boards with such a noisy drum. By the way, it is not up to me to "fix" this but I will be more than willing,to point the OP in the right direction via Pm if they so desire.

All we are looking to do is bring the controlled goods with us to the UK when we fly over there for the competition.  What I am looking for is what sort of paperwork/documentation I need to bring the stuff with me from both the Canadian and British side of the house.  The last thing I want to have happen is show up at the UK Border Services and be interrogated for hours on why I am in possession of military grade thermal sights and night vision equipment  ;D and case some sort of international incident  [mountie]

Did you contact the CTAT office?  They will know exactly where to steer you...

I have been out of office for the past few days; however, I am back on Tuesday and my WO and I plan on having this wrapped up then.  Again thanks all for the responses, Army.ca comes through in the clinch yet again!  :salute:

Back