• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TUAV's

pteosborne

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has done the UAV training and deployment. I put my name in for it (not that I'll be going as I'm only an Apprentice ane they genrally want level "A"'s)
But was wondering about where the training is (its rumored to be moving to Aldershot) and the training conditions as well as working conditions on deployment.
Any answers would be great as they are a bit scarce (or perhaps misleading) here, and first hand knowledge would be great.
-Oz

TUAV training is currently done by 408 Squadron in Edmonton. Roto 6 ground school is in progress.

What happens next seems rather uncertain - Rotos 7 and 8 may or may not be trained, but there is no expectation of deployment. We are supposed to be the last, with the first deployment of CH146 replacing us.

Plans may, of course, change.

It depends upon when you were told what you were told and by whom. Your info could of course be more current.

Yea, I got an E-mail at work stating theres going to be a meeting about this topic in a few weeks.  I should know more then.

The word we got out here fits in with what you've said Loachman. 

I threw my name into the hat, but we'll see what happens; there seem to be a lot of 'ifs' involved.

For a number of reasons - Manley Report, news articles, and more-in-the-know sources - it appears that what we were last officially briefed upon in December is outdated.

I appear to be the only one on Army.ca with any direct experience with UAVs.

That isn't much at this point (three weeks into the five-week ground school phase, with flying phase of similar duration yet to start) but it is more than I had three weeks ago and it has been an eye-opener. I am actually fairly impressed with the capabilities of Sperwer. My crew did our first simulated arty shoot on Thursday and it was incredibly easy, quick, precise, and slick - almost unbelievably so. I always enjoyed the traditional method of adjustment and this isn't quite so satisfying in that regard but it is, well, "neat". Yesterday we did our first two-AV mission. That required a litttle juggling at times, but my two guys did very well in many ways and it's still early in the training.

Yes, there are issues with Sperwer, but most can be worked around and could be overcome either with technical improvements or purchase of a newer system.

One problem is the constant need to train completely new batches of people to operate it every six months. Formation of a dedicated TUAV unit would overcome that, but it would have to be huge in order to avoid deploying the same people over and over again. No easy solution to that one.

Didnt get to the TUAV briefing in Greenwood but as I understand it the basic idea is that were going to be less Army dependent in regard to UAV's. Were going to do all the work and we'll have the Army there for support. But this is second hand info. I only posted it because there is not much info in this forum on the subject.

Good day all, I have been trained and qualified both as a maintainer and payload operator, liked this job th emost of any I have ever done in the Airforce, there are many problems associated with the make up of TUAV, the biggest one being as Loach has said continually cobbling together a group of people to train and derploy. This is not the best way of doing things, the Army wishes to do things which to the Airfoce is totaly against all rules that we currently follow. Having said that we (Blue) often hamstring ourselves with too many requlations, yes safety is paramount, thatys why we have risk assesmnets and people who generally have very good experience and knowledge leading the troop. I would say to you go for it it is a real good experience, and yes the AV is a good piece of kit, it does have limitations but what doesn't have these days.

My understanding is that the UAV will be moved to Greenwood and yes trainng will take place in Aldershot, why I could not tell you, all predeployment trainng tyakes place at CMTCC in Waignwright AB, oh well I am sure they know what they are doing.  :D

My understanding is that the UAV will be moved to Greenwood and yes trainng will take place in Aldershot,

All news to me. 

It would seem some of what I was told was true. As expected this selection has passed me by but there is always next time.
I can only assume training will be in Aldershot to keep guys closer to home for a while (guys from Greenwood anyway).  :p
Blue Grunt and Loachman how would you rate your experience with the UAV's? Is it something you would recommend, and was it a satisfying experience? Just curious for the next time they ask for names.

Guys, before the rumours start flying, another Wing will indeed be joining future rotations for the TUAV, but it will still remain under 408's (and thus 1 Wing's) authority.  It's a numbers game.  That's all.

Training in Aldershot?  Do they have the room?

The responsibility for UAVs was transferred from 1 Wing to 14 Wing by the Comds Tasking Order effective Feb 2009.  Needless to say a lot has been going on in this regard since then.  Once Noctua is implemented any 1 Wing responsibility will likely cease as it is a leased option and the contractor will provide the training. 

Back