• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

UK Airs Graphic Text Messaging PSA

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.justnews.com/automotive/20534929/detail.html

Not as gruesome as "Signal 30", but it gets its point across. I saw it on CNN yesterday.
Some professional drivers - and locomotive engineers - are not permitted to bring cell phones to work. If they do, they must stay in their locker back at the yard.

Unfortunately it's far too long for North American attention spans.

When I was 18 I had to sit through a full day of highway safety films with lectures in between. They actually handed out barf bags before they turned on the projector. I know I always wore a safety belt after that, even though it wasn't the law back then.

My cousin's sister-in-law died while texting and driving.  It very near ripped the family apart.

It just boggles me that governments have failed to act, or acted painfully slowly on this issue, as well as the one of cell phone use while driving.

Back in April, the Ontario government approved legislation banning the use of cell phones and other handheld devices while driving.  They also announced that the rules wouldn't take effect until the fall of 2009, since regulations would have to be drawn up.  Even then, they would allow for a grace period to allow for driver education.

Too goddamn lenient!

Announce that it's illegal now, charge the morons that are doing it with dangerous driving, pending the finalization of the cellphone legislation, and word will spread like wildfire.  It's amazing that it takes half a year to hammer out a few short paragraphs amending the Highway Traffic Act.  I'm sure they can copy and paste the text from another province that's already enacted it to cut down the time frame.

It surprises the hell out of me that more people aren't getting followed after they pull some boneheaded manoeuvre while yapping on their cellphone, and get the crap thumped out of them when they get out of their car. 

Accidents caused by idiots on their cellphones are 100% preventable.

FlatTax said:
sometimes people need a graphic reminder. And I've been first on the scene (in fact witness) a bad car accident like the one in the video. Its exactly like what they show.

It's pretty tame compared to the old Highway Safety films. Even by the time I was subjected to a day of them, they had already been banned from the high schools because of the traumatizing effect they had on young people.
One good thing is that with the automobile safety standards of today, collisions are much more survivable than years ago.
Canada, even with the population growth, has had a 50 percent decrease in fatalities between 1979 and 2002.
Seatbelts, airbags, laminated and tempered glass, crumple zones, side impact protection beams, collapsible steering columns and padded dashboards have all helped. As well as improved fuel system integrity and fire retardant materials.
Pedestrian safety is still a big concern. "Bull bars" on SUVs are a hazard to pedestrians. "Lifeguards" on streetcars have helped. I think, one day, they will also be on the subway system.

Excellent video. Very realistic. Hopefully it will send a message to people.

Occam said:
It just boggles me that governments have failed to act, or acted painfully slowly on this issue, as well as the one of cell phone use while driving.

Back in April, the Ontario government approved legislation banning the use of cell phones and other handheld devices while driving.  They also announced that the rules wouldn't take effect until the fall of 2009, since regulations would have to be drawn up.  Even then, they would allow for a grace period to allow for driver education.

Too goddamn lenient!

Announce that it's illegal now, charge the morons that are doing it with dangerous driving, pending the finalization of the cellphone legislation, and word will spread like wildfire.  It's amazing that it takes half a year to hammer out a few short paragraphs amending the Highway Traffic Act.  I'm sure they can copy and paste the text from another province that's already enacted it to cut down the time frame.

It surprises the hell out of me that more people aren't getting followed after they pull some boneheaded manoeuvre while yapping on their cellphone, and get the crap thumped out of them when they get out of their car. 

Accidents caused by idiots on their cellphones are 100% preventable.

Yep....starts in October. I hope the police are going to practice what they are going to be preaching, cos I see them all the time on their cells chatting and giggling?

I know there is a fine for that in the UK and points too after a while if am not wrong.

Ruckmarch,
Think of the positive side of cops talking on their cells while driving....

They will be to distracted to constantly pick on, harass and violate the Charter rights of minorities!!!  ;D

WR said:
Ruckmarch,
Think of the positive side of cops talking on their cells while driving....

They will be to distracted to constantly pick on, harass and violate the Charter rights of minorities!!!  ;D

Where would that leave the rest of us folks that are not visible minorities?

chatting/texting peacefully on your cell phone

WR said:
chatting/texting peacefully on your cell phone

Just another typical day in  Amherstburg, Ont  ;D

I personally don't condone it though, but am just a lonely law-abiding citizen of this great country  ;D

I didn't know where to put this. I stumbled across a PSA that I remember very well from my childhood. I'm not sure when they stopped, but Metro Police did indeed fly black flags from their yellow cruisers! And we flew Elmer flags at school.
http://webhome.idirect.com/~radio50s/#BLACKFLAGS

I should start flying a black flag from my car...  but being far from Toronto and without anybody else doing the same, it would just send the wrong message... 

RIP to the victims of bad driving.

I didn't know where to put this. I stumbled across a PSA that I remember very well from my childhood. I'm not sure when they stopped, but Metro Police did indeed fly black flags from their yellow cruisers! And we flew Elmer flags at school.

Sierra Kilo said:
I should start flying a black flag from my car...  but being far from Toronto and without anybody else doing the same, it would just send the wrong message... 
RIP to the victims of bad driving.

From CHUM radio: "( Black Flag ) not a tribute to the dead, but a warning to the living!"
If you enjoy Driver's Ed as much as I do, you will love this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDilD3wAxt8
"I want you to get a XXXXX driver's manual, and I want you to study that motherXXXX. And I want you to obey the XXXX rules! Fifty-XXXXX thousand people were killed on the highway last year 'cause of XXXXX XXXXX  like you. Tell me you're gonna get a manual!"

Back