• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unknown future civvy job location; where and when do I apply for PRes now?

crossfitcop

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi

I was in before, looking to get back in.

I have been offered a job- my dream job, in fact- with a national organization. It starts in January 2011. At this stage all I know is that I will spend between one and eight months in southern Alberta for training, before being placed anywhere from Ontario west to Vancouver. I have requested Vancouver but I may not get it. I live in Vancouver now.

Knowing that it will take `x' number of weeks/months to get through the enrolment process, what do the experts on here recommend? Do I attend the Vancouver CFRC now and put my paper in, and then when/if I get my offer for the PRes, I ask them to transfer my offer to the `open' unit/ trade of my preference, in the location I am being posted to by my new employer?

It may seem to make more sense to wait until I am settled, however, if I am on the eight months of training in Southern Alberta, that would be the best time for me to also do my BMQ, because the training is straight weekdays, and I would have time to do my BMQ. If I wait, I'll be on shift work which includes weekends, making my ability to attend all the BMQ (and subsequent training) much more difficult.

Is that do-able? Hypothetically, apply in Vancouver, BMQ in Calgary, and then find an open trade/unit in....somewhere from Ontario west? Or is every recruiter / orderly room staffer going to hate my guts?

Thanks in advance.

Wait until you're settled in and you know where you'll be living before rejoining the reserves.  It can be a real mess and you don't want to land in administrative limbo.

crossfitcop said:
Hi

I was in before, looking to get back in.

I have been offered a job- my dream job, in fact- with a national organization. It starts in January 2011. At this stage all I know is that I will spend between one and eight months in southern Alberta for training, before being placed anywhere from Ontario west to Vancouver. I have requested Vancouver but I may not get it. I live in Vancouver now.

Knowing that it will take `x' number of weeks/months to get through the enrolment process, what do the experts on here recommend? Do I attend the Vancouver CFRC now and put my paper in, and then when/if I get my offer for the PRes, I ask them to transfer my offer to the `open' unit/ trade of my preference, in the location I am being posted to by my new employer?

It may seem to make more sense to wait until I am settled, however, if I am on the eight months of training in Southern Alberta, that would be the best time for me to also do my BMQ, because the training is straight weekdays, and I would have time to do my BMQ. If I wait, I'll be on shift work which includes weekends, making my ability to attend all the BMQ (and subsequent training) much more difficult.

Is that do-able? Hypothetically, apply in Vancouver, BMQ in Calgary, and then find an open trade/unit in....somewhere from Ontario west? Or is every recruiter / orderly room staffer going to hate my guts?

Thanks in advance.
Assuming you're talking about reserves, the unit you join will be the ones planning your BMQ. So no, you have to be assigned to a unit before taking BMQ, and in your case, you'll have to know which unit you're joining before any of that occurs.

Back