• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Untrained BMQ Candidate Alleges Abuse by Directing Staff Sergeant

The Legion defines veterans as:

all Veterans of all ages including serving Canadian Armed Forces members, Regular and Reserve, and RCMP members.

and that is the standard required to get special privileges such as a veterans' licence plate (in Ontario as least).

I would suggest that's a more than reasonable starting point for the definition of veterans.

So the legion defines 'veterans' as...'veterans, including serving CAF and RCMP'.

Great.  Thanks for the input.  Cleared that right up!

If he never passed basic training he is not a soldier IMO and therefore not entitled to veteran status.

JS2218 said:

and that is the standard required to get special privileges such as a veterans' licence plate (in Ontario as least).

I would suggest that's a more than reasonable starting point for the definition of veterans.

Well, yes. But the Legion's definition has no legal standing where the VAC definition does.

Would you still call him a veteran if he pulled the plug in week one?

JS2218 said:

Very few here care what the Legion thinks or directs. It has become an organization of mostly civies who talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

Using the legion as a source is akin to using Wikipedia as an absolute.

George Wallace said:
Here we go again.  This really has the possibilities of opening a convoluted can of worms:

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

More on LINK.

That would mean that one becomes a Veteran as soon as they take the Oath of Allegiance or Solemn Oath and will be a Veteran even if they turned around within the next hour and said that they had changed their minds and did not want to be a member of the CAF.

This post makes me wonder, once again, as to how far one wants to go to qualify who is "Veteran".  If these people actually 'Swore In' and then backed out, would we consider them "Veterans"?

kweh said:
00063E here as well. Somebody at my swearing in dropped out, so we've already lost one.  ::)

Back