• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Army: How much coffee should you consume to achieve peak performance?

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
How much coffee should you consume to achieve peak performance? Of course, there’s an app for that….

According to a recent study, a newly developed algorithm may be the key to optimizing alertness with caffeine.
Caffeine is the most widely consumed stimulant to counter the effects of sleep loss on neurobehavioral performance. However, to be safe and most effective, it must be consumed at the right time and in the right amount. This study proposed an automated optimization algorithm to identify safe and effective caffeine-dosing strategies that maximize alertness under any sleep-loss condition.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/06/180604093116.htm

You can have too much?

black-rifle-coffee-blackbeards-delight-blend-1.jpg

Easy to measure exact caffeine intake with caffeine pills. And It's cheaper.
Tool they use to analyze it is here
https://2b-alert-web.bhsai.org/2b-alert-web/login.xhtml
I found it hard to use, but I didn't have my coffee  ;D

tomahawk6 said:
Energy drinks are a great substitute.  ;D

Unless you deploy with the Canadian forces, then they're forbidden.

Meanwhile you guys stock defac fridges with Ripits

Then there was that caffeine gum that DRDC was trialing - we (well the MO with the NSE UMS) got the last bit of it when I went to Haiti...we only had a few packs of the stuff, he asked if I could do something with it.  The sniper dets with us were on vampire hours, so I said dudes, give it a whirl...the next morning one of them came back and rather sarcastically suggested I try it - was like a double espresso all at once, since it goes straight into the blood stream transmucosaly.  I guess he was vibrating behind the scope all night.

Oh, it also tasted like cinnamon shyte.

MM

medicineman said:
Then there was that caffeine gum that DRDC was trialing - we (well the MO with the NSE UMS) got the last bit of it when I went to Haiti...we only had a few packs of the stuff, he asked if I could do something with it.  The sniper dets with us were on vampire hours, so I said dudes, give it a whirl...the next morning one of them came back and rather sarcastically suggested I try it - was like a double espresso all at once, since it goes straight into the blood stream transmucosaly.  I guess he was vibrating behind the scope all night.

Oh, it also tasted like cinnamon shyte.

MM

'Hard Routine' during various OPs, and other less than overt activities, meant that we could not cook or heat things, or use thermoses with hot liquid due to the heat signature, but introduced me to the joys of the thermos of cold coffee.

Now Starbucks charges 10 bucks a cup for that stuff. We probably did think of it first, but weren't smart enough to make any money from it :)

daftandbarmy said:
'Hard Routine' during various OPs, and other less than overt activities, meant that we could not cook or heat things, or use thermoses with hot liquid due to the heat signature, but introduced me to the joys of the thermos of cold coffee.

Now Starbucks charges 10 bucks a cup for that stuff. We probably did think of it first, but weren't smart enough to make any money from it :)
Peiple used to look at me like I had four heads for making cold coffee in Afghan and Haiti...only real issue is the fact that the creamer doesn't dissolve well - have to shake your water bottle for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the early days of my career when I was a Private and our platoon RTO in garrison my morning job was to sweep the platoon office floor and make coffee in the AM. I didn't drink the stuff but I guess I didn't make it strong enough. So the Platoon SGT dropped that from my morning routine except cleaning the coffee maker. Then one of the Sergeants would set it up so all I had to do was plug it in.  :rofl:

Jarnhamar said:
Unless you deploy with the Canadian forces, then they're forbidden.

I beg your pardon? When did this bullshittery begin? At times the delicate dance with the threat of early death by Rip-It was what made life worth living.

Brihard said:
I beg your pardon? When did this bullshittery begin? At times the delicate dance with the threat of early death by Rip-It was what made life worth living.

Heard about it 6 months ago maybe? For the whole joint operating area.
Smoking is okay though  ::)

I miss shaking the cans up then tossing em beside people in the rocky parking lot ;)

Jarnhamar said:
Heard about it 6 months ago maybe? For the whole joint operating area.
Smoking (DOPE) is okay though  ::)

I miss shaking the cans up then tossing em beside people in the Rocky parking lot ;)

FTFY :)

medicineman said:
Peiple used to look at me like I had four heads for making cold coffee in Afghan and Haiti...only real issue is the fact that the creamer doesn't dissolve well - have to shake your water bottle for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pffft.  I used to make coffee the night before, put it in the fridge, and have it the next morning. 

I did learn from one of the guys on crew that sticking a tea bag in a plastic water bottle and closing the lid makes a passable cold tea though.  I'll remember to patent that before Starbucks tries to take that too.

I'm not sure how much coffee I need to reach peak performance, but I do know that no one should talk to me before I've had my first one in the morning.....    :coffee:

;D

Dimsum said:
Pffft.  I used to make coffee the night before, put it in the fridge, and have it the next morning. 

I did learn from one of the guys on crew that sticking a tea bag in a plastic water bottle and closing the lid makes a passable cold tea though.  I'll remember to patent that before Starbucks tries to take that too.

We use that on the railroad a lot too, or putting coffee in a coffee filter and putting the lid on so it holds the filter up.

Now having said that I would sign up for the research program ;) but I can say enough coffee to be happy and not enough to get the runs hahaha

Abdullah

Back