• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US weapons 'full of fake Chinese parts'

• Thread starter Thread starter GAP
  • Start date Start date

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
US weapons 'full of fake Chinese parts'
Thousands of United States' warplanes, ships and missiles contain fake electronic components from China, leaving them open to malfunction, according to a US Senate committee.
Article Link
By Malcolm Moore, Shanghai  08 Nov 2011

The US Senate Armed Services Committee said its researchers had uncovered 1,800 cases in which the Pentagon had been sold electronics that may be counterfeit.

In total, the committee said it had found more than a million fake parts had made their way into warplanes such as the Boeing C-17 transport jet and the Lockheed Martin C-130J "Super Hercules".

It also found fake components in Boeing's CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter and the Theatre High-Altitude Area Defence (THAAD) missile defence system.

"A million parts is surely a huge number. But I want to repeat this: we have only looked at a portion of the defence supply chain. So those 1,800 cases are just the tip of the iceberg," said Senator Carl Levin.

In around seven in 10 cases, the fake parts originated in China, while investigators traced another 20 per cent of cases to the United Kingdom and Canada, known resale points for Chinese counterfeits.

In the southern Chinese province of Guangdong, counterfeit microchips are often smuggled out of factories, or burned off old computer circuit boards before having their identifying marks sanded off and repainted as new.

In Chinese bazaars, "military grade" microchips are openly advertised, although these chips are often commercial chips that have been modified and relabelled.

Military grade chips are designed to withstand far greater extremes of temperature and humidity, and there are fears that the fake Chinese parts could suddenly fail.

"We cannot tolerate the risk of a ballistic missile interceptor failing to hit its target, a helicopter pilot unable to fire his missiles, or any other mission failure because of a counterfeit part," said John McCain, the senior Republican Senator on the committee.

Experts said the problems are not new, and have dated from a decision in the 1990s by the Clinton administration to cut costs by asking the Pentagon to buy "off-the-shelf" electronics, rather than designing its own systems.
More on link

also another article on same vein....

China Counterfeit Parts in U.S. Military Boeing, L3 Aircraft
By Tony Capaccio - Nov 8, 2011
Article Link

Oh, the Chinese.....is there ANYTHING they won't do?  Hacking, spying, counterfeit parts, knock-off theme parks based on World of Warcraft and Starcraft.

The capitalist revolution in China just gets more bizarre as time goes on. There is a superpower with feet of clay.

CDN Aviator said:
Do you make a point of avoiding buying stuff made in China ?

Well said.  I would likely be naked now if that was the case. And now that I look at the bottom of my laptop, I wouldn't be typing this either...

CDN Aviator said:
Do you make a point of avoiding buying stuff made in China ?
Nope, although I would like it if more stuff was made locally, but that's a different discussion.

CDN Aviator said:
The don't say "give their people freedom of speech" like you care about it.
Twas trying to make a joke, and although I do care about China not granting people access to some information/jailing people for opinions, it would be less than practical to avoid everything made in China just to make a point.

I do prefer if at all possible to buy goods that are not manufactured in China.  Not always possible to do that though.

What would you expect from a country that would sell counterfeit ED medication to the millions of poor suffering men of the world. >:(

cupper said:
What would you expect from a country that would sell counterfeit ED medication to the millions of poor suffering men of the world. >:(
;D

Back