• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Use of "Military Current Affairs & News" board for RIP messages

Journeyman

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
Prepare for rant - -   >:(

Under The Newsroom > Military Current Affairs & News, we quite often get posted breaking news, particularly about casualties overseas. This is as it should be.

But then it becomes a pain finding out about buddies/potential casualties because one has to scroll through several pages where the only input is " :salute: " - - a situation made worse when the site's bogged.

There's already a complete forum for condolences. It's The Mess >Thoughts and Prayers. It even specifies
Updates, tributes and memorials for Canadian soldiers who have been injured or killed. Off topic comments will be deleted

Can it not be made an enforced SOP that "News" will be limited to "news"? The first poster who feels a need to contribute " :salute:"  be required to add a link to their newly created thread down in The Mess/Thoughts and Prayers?

If the Mods can be sufficiently ruthless to note that "Off topic comments will be deleted" from a Mess/Thoughts and Prayers thread, certainly it could be done in The Military Affairs/News Thread for the benefit of those with an interest in personnel deployed on Ops.

[Rant ends, but muttering continues offline..... ]    >:( 

Are you suggesting that a 2nd thread be immediately started for condolances, or that the whole thread, once it turns into a condolance thread be moved over to thoughts and prayers?

Journeyman,
                  I, in a way, agree with you. I know what you mean. But then I am also seeing from the other posters. May be they "feel" some sort of remark should be made. I know I am upset right now waiting for word. But I do not mind these little postings. Sorry to add wood to the fire. But it is my two cents. I find this site is to be a All Ranks Mess where anyone can talk/vent/joke like a normal Mess, just without the beer.

You make a good statement anyways,
Cheers,
TN2IC

GAP said:
Are you suggesting that a 2nd thread be immediately started for condolances, or that the whole thread, once it turns into a condolance thread be moved over to thoughts and prayers?

Keep the News thread for news. The first person feeling a need to add a "RIP  :salute: " should start a new thread in The Mess/Thougths & Prayers, with a link to The Newsroom/Military Current Affairs & News.

People could post their thoughts and prayers in the appropriate (as advertised) thread, and those who are merely searching for news/details can find it easier without the additional wading through condolences.

I'm insensitive that way.

I don't have a problem with that....you're right, in that it is hard to glean information postings in a condolance thread. I find that once it has turned into a condolance thread I post updates in the Sandbox thread, rather than get snarled at because I dared to post in a condolance thread.

(no it has not happened to me, but it has happened to others who made comments other than condolances)

I think it would be good to leave things as they are out of respect for the families, friends and those who want to pay their respects. After the repatriation ceremony at Borden the thread could then be moved to the appropriate area.

GAP said:
I find that once it has turned into a condolance thread I post updates in the Sandbox thread, rather than get snarled at because I dared to post in a condolance thread.

Well if that is the case then. I change my views on the issue.

Regards,
TN2IC

At the same time, it would be nice to have names to go with the threads in the thoughts & prayers board.

I think too that there will be those that might want a seperate thread for each of the fallen and possibly for the wounded as well. A group thing is not as desireable.

tomahawk6 said:
I think it would be good to leave things as they are out of respect for the families, friends and those who want to pay their respects. After the repatriation ceremony at Borden the thread could then be moved to the appropriate area.

Tomahawk. Our rep ceremonies all happen at Trenton not Borden....that's where all our Air Transport assests are and our new C17s (Go Bisons!) will be as well.

GAP said:
I don't have a problem with that....you're right, in that it is hard to glean information postings in a condolance thread. I find that once it has turned into a condolance thread I post updates in the Sandbox thread, rather than get snarled at because I dared to post in a condolance thread.

(no it has not happened to me, but it has happened to others who made comments other than condolances)

Gap

It isn't so much updates as people speculating that has to be controlled.

I agree. Most of the speculation is misplaced and ill timed.

That is why I like the idea of 2 separate threads.

To clear up some confusion (on my end) ;

- How exactly is the new "system" going to be run?
Is there going to be a thread in the "thoughts and Prayers" section dedicated to each soldier killed ? Or will there be one "lumped together" thread dedicated to all casualties for an attack(including multiple casualties attacks) ?

I'm asking this because I have already come across at least two thread dedicated to individual soldiers killed in the same attack.

Putting my 0.02 cents in right now, I would find a "lumped together" thread dedicated for all of the casualties to be a wiser idea, rather than having two, three or in this case six threads needing to be created.

midget-boyd91 said:
- How exactly is the new "system" going to be run?
Is there going to be a thread in the "thoughts and Prayers" section dedicated to each soldier killed? Or will there be one "lumped together" thread for each multiple casualties attack?

I'm asking this because I have already come across at least two thread dedicated to individual soldiers killed in the same attack.

Putting my 0.02 cents in right now, I would find a "lumped together" thread dedicated for all of the casualties after attacks, rather than having two, three or in this case six threads needing to be created.

My thoughts, since I'm the feces disruptor.

I don't see it as a "new system." There's a thread for News. This is where people have tended to post breaking stories, including Canadian troops taking hits. There's also a thread for Thoughts & Prayers. I suggest merely that people use the threads, already created, for a purpose in keeping with their titles. Yes, I have that streak of Spock-like rabble-rouser in me.

That way, people seeking updates can go to News and find it with little difficulty.
Conversely, people with a need to post " :salute:" can do so in the Thoughts & Prayers thread.

It is not a Mod's responsibility, nor is there some Memorial-bot 5000 going to create threads for every fatality. Initially here, when we had no names - - in fact, we didn't even know if they were Canadian - - the "RIP  :salute:" posts started. Rather than posting them in News, they could/should be posted in a generic memorial thread with the incident name/date, much like occurred in the News thread...only without news.

When names are released, friends, associates, anyone so inclined can then create a specific thread in Thoughts & Prayers with that persons' name on it, to which anyone could post their......well, their thoughts..... and prayers if need be. You may wish to ask a Mod to move posts; you may wish to repeat some thoughts in the soldier-specific thread.

It may happen that some who pay the ultimate price aren't represented by members here, and there may not be a thread with their name on it. I think that's OK. It's not a contest.

To sum....I didn't think this was a complicated "new system" - - merely a request to use the threads as labled. In any subject (other than condolences in a news thread apparently), the Mods would have been all over the offender like a fat kid on a pack of Smarties, with a warning to "keep it on track!!"

Why is this so complicated?

Journeyman,

I concur with you 100%.

I personally find all those blanket RIP messages  hollow and condesending.

Totally agree with a separate forums for endless "RIP BROTHER  :salute:" sentiments.

Especially when we are using this as the "go to shortcut" sight for all news related articles.
Protocol that is already in place should be heeded to no matter what scenario.
Besides personally  those " :salute:" posts I find them rather cheesy and hollow and do nothing but cheapen the memory of the fallen. If my time comes I hope to hell that my memory will not be honoured by smiley saluting.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Journeyman,

I concur with you 100%.

I personally find all those blanket RIP messages  hollow and condesending.

Thanks, Ash and JourneyMan, for saying what I have been thinking for a while. When I look at those posts, I am looking for information, not someone's attempt to jack their post count up, while contributing little (or nothing) in return.

Yes, I am an unsentimental barstard, but so it seems is StMMTm and JM. News should be news, and Thoughts and (silent) Prayers are just that.

Al

Although I must agree with you, some on this site have found fit to take these threads and use them as a form of condolences for some of the grieving families, in much the same way as a formal book of condolences.

George Wallace said:
Although I must agree with you, some on this site have found fit to take these threads and use them as a form of condolences for some of the grieving families, in much the same way as a formal book of condolences.

You mean, sort of an online Thoughts & Prayers. Excellent idea.

And as a conscientious Mod, I know we can count on you to help steer those grieving to the appropriate thread, so that they can see the support from members here, with the added, completely unforeseen benefit of keeping the News site free for news updates.

You're awesome; thanks.  ;D

Back