• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Venting...Pers shortages, QL 3 can't do anything, Combined UMS

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
I just got back to work the other day after my tour. I had the "privilege" of going back to the same UMS as I left 10 months ago. When we left we knew that the UMS would be understaffed, attempting to maintain coverage over the complete unit.

Well, then another 1/3 of the UMS (and all the experienced QL 5 Cpls) go to Sri Lanka and then are doing predeployment training for Roto 4.

So because QL 3 can't deploy (but do cause we are short) we are undermanned in the essential QL 5 Cpls. So we get QL 3 Ptes, who are totally useless in a UMS setting because a) they are not taught how to screen for sick parade, and b) are not allowed to give out any medications without direct supervisor supervision.

Meantime because of the number of pers gone, they close and combined 2 RCHA UMS with ours, using our facility. So now I am one of 2 Sgts in the UMS with a staff that is 3 medics short of what only 3 RCR UMS is supposed to have, Covering 2 Units that are pretty much complete on the ground right now...::)

And that to a busy exercise schedule...one such that I have yet to meet my MCpl nor 2 of the medic who work for me cause they are in the field, And will have only one day of face time with them before we deploy for a 3 week ex.:blotto:

It is getting really interesting.

:p 

I need to drink.

Sorry for jumping into a Medic thread but wasn't this supposed to be a thing of the past when they pulled all the UMS pers back into the Fld Ambs?  My understanding was they were then going to be able to do the magic shell game to ensure all UMS' were adequately manned?  Or is this a problem of a total lack of QL 5's on Garrison/in the CF?

Yes, we all do belong to fd amb. But are still operating UMS. The problem is in a small unit like 2 Fd Amb you can't deploy back to back (and DART during a roto as well) and still maintain the same numbers of pers in the UMS. Also it is shortages of personnel, that is because of too slow recruiting and training (all problems we brought upon ourselves)

I'd die too come work for a UMS.  I spent the last 3 years working in Emerge in Halifax, filling in as the Baby Doc at sea and as a PCP with EHS. Not bad for a no nothing QL-3.  Now I operate a pallet jack in a warehouse. I can only dream about feeling the stress of working in an under-staffed UMS!

You coming to Pet soon?

Actually part of the problem is the Fd Hosp has been taking in a large number of troops in prep to go over to Afghanistan next yr. Something like 180 for the Hosp in Feb. We hear about alot of new troops coming to Pet, but only get 2-4 per course, twice that number go across the street.

Back