• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Violence in the tourist mecca of New Caledonia

Perhaps Azerbaijan may feel a bit of « le fafo »?

When did this all start? I've seen nothing about it.

Three months ago. Though there had been insurrection significant political violence in years past that led to an independence referendum process. Disagreement with the process by the indigenous population and a later move by the French government to change the law that would allow more Frenchmen to vote locally contributed to the kick-off of this latest violence.

Three months ago. Though there had been insurrection significant political violence in years past that led to an independence referendum process. Disagreement with the process by the indigenous population and a later move by the French government to change the law that would allow more Frenchmen to vote locally contributed to the kick-off of this latest violence.

This is why I believe that there are outside forces pushing this. The first step in a revolution is to destroy hope and economic success, breeding the conditions to stir up more people who would otherwise be to interested in working and feeding their families.

This is why I believe that there are outside forces pushing this. The first step in a revolution is to destroy hope and economic success, breeding the conditions to stir up more people who would otherwise be to interested in working and feeding their families.
It's also easier for the pot-stirrers when the (at least allegedly) aggrieved party makes up a significant chunk of the population.
1724340141843.png
Source

You mean like here 😉

The video said 60% non-Kanak and 40% Kanak, which is why they want to restrict the vote as they know they can't go full stupid if everyone gets a vote. Not to say the French play fair either. But I doubt very much the Kanak see beyond the dream of "independence" and have no ideas of how to make life economically better. the interviewer only briefly touched on that issue.

The video said 60% non-Kanak and 40% Kanak, which is why they want to restrict the vote as they know they can't go full stupid if everyone gets a vote. Not to say the French play fair either. But I doubt very much the Kanak see beyond the dream of "independence" and have no ideas of how to make life economically better. the interviewer only briefly touched on that issue.
Same as South Africa. They chased out all the white farmers and entrepreneurs. It was good for awhile on the confiscated farms and businesses they'd taken over. Until it came time to plant, harvest and run businesses. Nobody knew how to do any of it. Then the panic set in.

While the Azerbaijanis may be stoking resentment a bit, they weren't there in 1988 when the "path to independence" was agreed to by France. Now that the end of that path had been reached without satisfaction for the Kanak (41% of population) either politically or socio-economically, there may not be a lot of hope or economic success to destroy. Paris' attempt to add more voters who would want to remain France was the cherry on top of the sundae.

I was trying to come up with a humorous analogy about Algeria and better beaches, but that is also one of the selling points for the Algerian tourist industry.

While the Azerbaijanis may be stoking resentment a bit, they weren't there in 1988 when the "path to independence" was agreed to by France. Now that the end of that path had been reached without satisfaction for the Kanak (41% of population) either politically or socio-economically, there may not be a lot of hope or economic success to destroy. Paris' attempt to add more voters who would want to remain France was the cherry on top of the sundae.

I was trying to come up with a humorous analogy about Algeria and better beaches, but that is also one of the selling points for the Algerian tourist industry.
I have no doubt the Azerbaijanis are just the icing on the cake and are willing to fund and stoke the fires. But as soon as there is independence, they walk. The Chinese however will come and take over. In the words of (I believe Giap) "I rather eat French or US sh*t for a couple hundred years, than Chinese for a 1,000. So they best heed the advice of others. The French for all their faults can be negotiated with.

My question: when did the Azerbaijanis became such an imperialist power projector? Is it as simple as (or at least one factor) FRA being fans of Armenia - enemy of my enemy, like UKR in Africa poking Wagner & Co.? Or are they “helping” RUS in that part of the world against China poking the same bear?

Most of the readily available online articles follow the same line of reasoning. There's probably been more in-depth analysis of Azerbaijan's involvement in the three months since, but I've not been able to find it (though I haven't really scoured French language sources).

Khazaks enter the chat

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

It’s amazing the stuff we don’t hear about on our news anymore…
I would argue that back in the “old days”, that would be page 56 news in a small box in the corner.

Social media and such have definitely tailored news to our leanings, but it wasn’t like news wasn’t being curated back then too.

Back