• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Virtual Ship tour/familiarization

MeanJean said:
I'll try it too.  I wouldn't think that it would be public access but I got to the page where you have to load the unity player on my iphone.  I wanted to see if others could access it.  We'll find out soon enough.

And the answer is yes, it is accessible. As someone noted above, you have to download and install the Unity SCO web player plugin for whichever flavour of browser you use, but once that's done, it works fine. It did seem to me to take longer to download the actual app once Unity was installed than on the DWAN, but that may have been (a) Shaw being shitty, (b) DND firewall being shitty, (c) all of the above.

My wife was quite happy to play with it and look around, as she has never actually visited a CPF (isn't keen on how steep our ladders tend to be). She spent a couple of hours with it last night, got happily lost in the FER and wound up discovering the halon gas compartment all on her own :)

What's wrong with the ladders ???

They are nice and easy compared to the boiler room ones on the old steamers ! :)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
What's wrong with the ladders ???

They are nice and easy compared to the boiler room ones on the old steamers ! :)

Definitely would never have gotten her to go down those ones :)

Hi there,

I work with the development team for the Canadian Virtual Naval Fleet. I am very happy to see the positive responses to the Virtual Fleet. I hope its ok if I pass on your observations on improvement to the team? If possible, please post more.

Phase 1 of the project was to make the Virtual Fleet a "walkthrough", designed for NETP or BSQ students.

Phase 2 is to create more "Learning Events" i.e. console interaction for naval trades. (We are currently at Phase 2) The CPF is to the FELEX Standard as posted previous.

Phase 3 is to introduce avatars and create learning scenarios that cover a wide spectrum of typical training events at sea, almost like a video game.

Hope you enjoy the system, if you have any questions, please drop me a line.

Good to know! I tried it a month ago... couldn't get the plug-in... will try it again

Hey everyone,

I'm in charge of the 1 and 0's for that project and I'm really happy to see your comments.

As you've probably seen, the Canadian Virtual Naval Fleet is now the the DLN.

You can access it from the Internet DLN and DWAN DLN by searching in the knowledge base for those keywords; CVNF,Virtual, KCVS (Kingston Class Virtual Ship), Kingston, CPF [...]

Please contact me if you have trouble accessing it.

Also, do not hesitate to write feedback about the project. We're in constant development and we're always open to add / change / fix something.

We have a lot of really interesting developments for the next version of the Kingston Class Virtual Ship (KCVS), send me a PM to get my @forces.gc.ca email if you're interested.

How does one get a DLN account? I had one a couple of years ago... it doesn't work anymore. Pretty sure on the old DLN website you could register on-line, but there doesn't seem to be a way of doing that anymore.

What most people are familiar with is the "DNDLearn" Desire To Learn (D2L) portal. However, as of this year, the DLN has replaced that system and all your old accounts are no longer valid.

On the good news side, it is single sign-on when on DWAN. So it automatically logs you in from DWAN.

The link to the DLN can be found on your DWAN; Start->Programs->Baseline->Logistical->DNDLearn-DLN

Once in the main page of the DLN, you'll see the instructions on how to create an account to log-in from the Internet if you wish so.

The CVNF is accessible from both DWAN* and Internet.

*If you don't have the Unity plugin installed on your DWAN, PM me for details on how to do it, it's available from the Baseline.

Hello everyone!

Just a quick update on what we've been working on for the CVNF.

Here's a small feature reel of what to expect in terms of functionality in the next version and what's already in.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7-jqu2vqKnyVnFoeEFvQXZ0X1k/edit

Enjoy!

Back