• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wall St. Journal Bashes CAN in AFG?

Don't see too much bashing going on there, I see her point, however she makes several pertinent points that are brought up and supported by guys / gals on here. I don't think she's bashing Canada as much as shes bashing the political parties (Ie. Liberals)..

I think the issue was represented fairly.

If the liberals want to embarass the country, the country will be embarassed.

It's like looking into a mirror and seeing an unsightly blemish.

We need to see a dermitoligist - before it spreads. ;D

milnewstbay said:
You be the judge....

Well, I expected them to be bashing the Canadian troops and their work in Afghanistan based upon the threads title.

It was nice to see though, that what they are actually doing is being more honest about the politiking occuring by the left than the MSM in this country is.

It certainly doesn't seem to me that they are bashing Canada in Afghanistan, rather they are bashing the Liberals for their spin doctoring for votes and poll statistics.

Ms. O'Grady does make the leap - twice, in fact - to say that political posturing is leading public opinion. (As if we needed politicians to think for us...) I don't think that's accurate, or at least it's a huge misreading of the climate.

B

baac said:
Ms. O'Grady does make the leap - twice, in fact - to say that political posturing is leading public opinion. (As if we needed politicians to think for us...) I don't think that's accurate, or at least it's a huge misreading of the climate.

B

Really? I took it as "opinion polls" were causing the direction of the politcal posturing. Which, seems bang-on to me.  I have noticed that some parties wait til the poll results are out before they'll make a decision on anything. I don't think I need to name then, Ms. O'Grady already did.

Ah, I hate policy by opinion poll... Numbers change given the day, the people asked and the way the question is phrased. They're totally meaningless, yet we give them such weight. (And I think 80% of Canadians would back me up on that. According to a poll I just did... OK, I asked my cat...)

It is very interesting to see what we look like to the outside world though. Too bad we come across that one-sided.

B

The Librarian said:
Well, I expected them to be bashing the Canadian troops and their work in Afghanistan based upon the threads title.

I had the same reaction.  I watched it,  expecting to be foaming at the mouth after 5 minutes. As soon as I saw this lady I thought "awe man,  another Ann Coulter wanta be.  In fact there is not one singe thing she said that I could disagree with, she was polite and even pulled a few punches to not over dramatise the issue.  Well that "move against Stephen Harper" stuff I'd have phrased as 'gain favour with the voting public'.  But it is a legitimate view.

*putting on my flame resistant suit here*
If the Americans want to berate us for being weary,  perhaps they should have been more cautious about opening up a second front, diverting resources from the agreed mission, muddying the waters.  I know many people who feel that by us supporting the war in Afghanistan we're supporting an illegal war of aggression in Iraq.  I feel that vote on Afghanistan was more about the issues surrounding Iraq than anything else.

There are members of the Liberal party and the NDP party who see the mission in Afghanistan for what it is in itself.  Most people I've spoken to are very open minded about the mission,  they hear about the deaths of soldiers and how determined the enemy is.  They hear 'if we leave them alone they'll leave us alone' from the left.  All they hear from the political right "you're a traitor if you don't support us".  (doesn't fly here)  Public opinion on this issue is easily swayed.  I think the grits are betting on the wrong horse if they think this will get them back into power.

Back