• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

I seem to recall or it was at least my understanding that say you were presented with the sultans freedom medal you could wear it while in that country? Out of respect for the host?
I believe that any foreign medal can be presented (and worn) in that country, because you are technically wearing it when you are presented it, and it would look weird to take it off right away.

You can’t wear it afterwards though unless it’s Gazetted.

Sooooo if the city of Calgary decides someone’s service to its million citizens is worthy of a medal we should disrespect Calgary?

Only national awards are worthy of being real medals because hero’s like Bieber get them for their service….

It doesn’t totally work but I’m being a dick head because the amount of gate keeping on honours is nuts- just carries on down the line until we get to the “real vets are combat vets” nonsense:

I saw two dudes get the queens medal for exemplary service in the write up last year and get suspended the following week.

If you have imaginary medals the people who know KNOW and those that don’t are irrelevant

Sooooo if the city of Calgary decides someone’s service to its million citizens is worthy of a medal we should disrespect Calgary?

Only national awards are worthy of being real medals because hero’s like Bieber get them for their service….

It doesn’t totally work but I’m being a dick head because the amount of gate keeping on honours is nuts- just carries on down the line until we get to the “real vets are combat vets” nonsense:

I saw two dudes get the queens medal for exemplary service in the write up last year and get suspended the following week.

If you have imaginary medals the people who know KNOW and those that don’t are irrelevant

I was just describing what is, not what ought to be. BC has provincial awards for Valour that aren’t part of the national system. Still awesome when someone gets one. In the case of Calgary, there are both municipal and provincial long service medals that overlap the federal police exemplary service medal, so it’s a case of triple recognition. I personally raise my eyebrow a bit at that. Valour or other ‘decoration’-like honours are another thing, but I also think those could probably mostly be incorporated into the honours system.

It’s also not something I’ll get up in arms about. If someone has Calgary and Alberta police long service medals that their services authorize for wear, I’m not gonna waste my time or burn good will getting cranky about someone having them mounted with other honours.

I was just describing what is, not what ought to be. BC has provincial awards for Valour that aren’t part of the national system. Still awesome when someone gets one. In the case of Calgary, there are both municipal and provincial long service medals that overlap the federal police exemplary service medal, so it’s a case of triple recognition. I personally raise my eyebrow a bit at that. Valour or other ‘decoration’-like honours are another thing, but I also think those could probably mostly be incorporated into the honours system.

It’s also not something I’ll get up in arms about. If someone has Calgary and Alberta police long service medals that their services authorize for wear, I’m not gonna waste my time or burn good will getting cranky about someone having them mounted with other honours.
I’m in total agreement.

But really Calgary owns the uniform right? They could staple paystubs to it for all anyone should care. I imagine if we had these gigantic Libyaesque racks I would care more- not saying you care either- but the guy with three instead of one has to say “this is for serving in Calgary…Alberta…Canada” when asked on Remembrance Day 🤷‍♀️

Only question a muni might ask a former national employee is, why quit to apply here as a probie ?

Certainly would not be for the bling....

Only question a muni might ask a former national employee is, why quit to apply here as a probie ?

Certainly would not be for the bling....
i don’t think the life of national service is what folks are looking for anymore. Why move if you can build a life somewhere and make more money 🤷‍♀️

i don’t think the life of national service is what folks are looking for anymore. Why move if you can build a life somewhere and make more money 🤷‍♀️

Because you get to descend from the heavens and crush evil doers and break all their toys?

Or something like that ;)

c130 paratroopers GIF

• Humorous
Reactions: ueo
I’m not sure most folks wanted that in the first place.

When there was a war on, there was the excitement of action, patriotism (but specifically tied to an event like 9/11), because “everyone else was doing it”, or shame that you weren’t doing it. When the war ended, it wasn’t like a ton of people stayed in uniform - most went back to their pre-war lives.

Good question.

In the aftermath of 9/11, Canada's largest city studied how America's largest city handled the disaster.

Also, how the city honours their emergency services.

In particular, the fact members - only - wear medals awarded by the city on their departmental uniforms.

But really Calgary owns the uniform right?

Interesting point.

Back