• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Washing the Gortex Jacket

johnny_boy

Inactive
Reaction score
On the last exercise, most of my IMPs went on my jacket rather than in my mouth, and unfortunately whoever had the jacket before me wrote his name all over the washing information. So, could anyone pleaaassse fill me in on how to wash the gortex jacket?

I have always just tossed it in the wash, normal cycle in cold water with regular detergent.  I do this with my CF's as well.  Just remove anything not sown on.  I have had the same set for 6 years and they have been dry cleaned about three times, but through the wash about 15.  I always find that dry cleaning doesn't get cordite from gun salutes out of the outfit.

I always went with the instructions for washing Gortex I got from MEC with my first Gortex purchase in the early 90's.

Wash it lots, dry it hot.

Apparently it keeps the membrane clear.  I've never had a problem doing it this way.

I would never throw it into the Dryer.  Hang it up to dry.  It came out ok for me.

GW

Apparently the hot air does good things for the membrane.  I don't mean MLBU jet dryer hot, actually the Goretex care instruction webpage says tumble dry warm, so maybe tone it down a bit.

Ah ha!

Definative instructions...tumble dry low...cancel my last. (Both IECS and ICE have the same instructions for the combat jacket).

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/Chief_Land_Staff/Clothe_the_soldier/hab/2/InstrucJacket-ICE_e.asp?Ref=24331

Note: Wash instructions for the goretex windpants, and the bivvy bag are the same. Don't know what, if any, are the wash instructions for the boots or the gloves.

From the same link

How to Maintain WWB

1.    Your boots will require very limited maintenance. The suppleness and the waterproof qualities are tanned right into the fibre structure of the leather. Because the leather is waterproof, it is not necessary to further treat the leather with a waterproofing treatment. The suppleness is provided by the tanning agents and will keep the leather as issued for the life of the boots.
2. When the boots are issued, they are ready to wear.
3. Should the boots become soiled or scuffed, it is recommended that you clean the boots only with a brush or damp cloth. DO NOT USE SOAPS OR DETERGENTS. After allowing leather to dry, apply a coat of black boot paste sparingly and buff lightly. Spit-shining or applying heavy coats of paste to the leather should be avoided.

Care and Maintenance of CWWG

Care and Maintenance â “ DO NOT MACHINE WASH OR DRY. Wipe with damp cloth for light soil. Hand wash with warm water and mild detergent or soap. Squeeze gently. Hang to dry. If gloves become wet, dry at room temperature. Store dry as damp conditions will cause mold, directly affecting the integrity of the materials. Minimize exposure of inside and outside of glove to DEET (insect repellent).

Wash it lots, Dry it hot.

If you want a Gore-tex garment to function properly this is the way to go.  Frequent washing is important because once dirt clogs the pores in the Gore-tex membrane it will stop being breathable.  It will still be waterproof but your sweat will not be able to escape so you will end up soaking yourself inside your jacket.  Drying at high heat is important but does not affect the Gore-tex membrane itself.  The outer fabric layer of a Gore-tex garment is treated with a durable water-repellant (DWR) coating.  This is used to ensure that the outer fabric does not soak through under normal conditions and water instead beads and runs off the surface.  This is important because if the outer layer of fabric is soaked it will prevent the Gore-tex from breathing and once again your sweat will be unable to escape.  Drying on high heat rejuvenates the DWR coating which becomes damaged through extended use returning it to its original effectiveness.

Clearly these instructions do not apply to the gloves or boots as drying leather with direct heat is a bad idea.

DETAILED WASHING INSTRUCTIONS FOR IECS â “ COMBAT JACKET

Follow the care label.
The IECS outer garments (parka, combat jacket, trousers and overalls) are to be washed in luke warm water (40C) and tumble-dry at low temperature.
Before washing close all zippers, hood and pouch openings to avoid snagging. Separate removable pieces like the parka liner and hood from the shell before laundering and launder only pieces that are soiled.
In the event of heavy soiling spot removing products such as Shout or Spray and Wash may be used.
For heavy soiling, as in POL products, if the spot removal does not work then dry cleaning may be an option although the preferred method of cleaning shall always be machine wash.
As a normal practice when it can be avoided, do not let the garments become too heavily soiled before washing.

Wash it lots, dry it hot.

I strongly agree.  I have a friend who works at a camping store.  She suggested the very same thing.  Nikwax even makes a gortex wash that restores the waterproofing and envigorates the gortex fabric to once agan restore breathability-but drying on high heat is key.

Follow the care label.
The IECS outer garments (parka, combat jacket, trousers and overalls) are to be washed in luke warm water (40C) and tumble-dry at low temperature

Remember the label for the MK III's say not to shine them......riiiight.

anyways just sharing my insight.

cheers

PV

Back