• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Weapons Tech Lifestyle

Genesis

Inactive
Reaction score
Just some quick questions for the weapon techs on the forum. I am currently with an armoured recce reserve unit, and have been for the past two years. Army life has sucked me in and I now want to go for it full time. I was all gung ho to transfer to armoured until I had a talk with my Sgt Major. He told me that although armoured was great, could I see myself doing it 25 years from now. I should also mention I am 28, married and have two children. He told me to still put armour down as a choice but to pick two tech trades before that. I mentioned weapon tech to him and he thought it was a great idea. Now for my question, while talking he said I could get attached to some hardcore unit, like 3 PPCLI, do some intense training and field work, then when I have had enough of that I can try and get posted at a nice quiet spot. Is this possible as a weapon tech? I know as a tech the level of field work will be not near the level of infanteers and the like, but do they still get to go out there and play in the woods once in a while?

Also, I'm stuck on the other tech trade, are there any recommendations out there for another cool trade? I know FCS Tech is offering a $10,000 bonus right now but I don't know if that would really be my cup of tea.

Genesis,

While Weapons Tech is an excellent trade you are playing with alot of what ifs.  If you get posted to a first line unit, if you get posted to a quiet spot as you get older.  They always ask you where you want to go and they often post you to the total opposite of what you asked for.  Before you make an absolute choice insure that you would be generally happy in that trade anywhere they post you. Unless you're posted to a base maintenance shop you usually do some field time here and there.

As for the other choice, FCS is a good trade but the training is much longer as they do POET training in Kingston prior to even starting their QL3 course.  You may want to consider the other EME trades, v. tech or MAT tech as well.  What about Communications trades too?

Good luck with your decisions.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I guess the only certain thing about the military is that nothing is certain. Just as a follow up I think my 3 choices are going to be Weapons Tech, Sig Op, and Armoured Crewman, in that order.

Genesis,

Good luck to you in your future reg force career.  Hope you enjoy it.

MMM, Just some UFI, but when I was with the zipperheads, they would ask us Gunplummers to go with them sometimes on patrols and such, and also we (our APC) were often asked to take the fuel carriers to the tanks at night, sort of like a follow the leader type of move...really sucks if you can't read a map. I always took advantage of these taskings and learned a lot. Got really good at navigation skills.

Bob

Back