• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is wrong with teens?

armyrules

Reaction score
The reason i ask this question is that teenagers today really don't care about our military and I don't find that fair!! I'm 18 years old and joining the military after I finish Highschool this year. It just seems to me that older peoplr are saying that mostly all teens don't care about the military and I find that pathetic and kind of sad :'( What so u guys think. When I see all the teens on these boards that want to join the military I fel that I have so much in common with them because I live in the boonies and all that is around here are farms which limits the people I could talk with about my fascination about the CF I hope no one criticizes me about this post I aslo hope that no one has no beefs with it if they do please let me say that i didn't write it to offend anyone.

I'm one of those teens on these boards (16) and will say that there is definitely a lack of interest, but I don't think it's as low as it appears to be.   I'm friends with maybe 4 or 5 people interested in joining the Army (one wants to join the Polish Army, but the fact is he is showing interest in the forces), and then there's me.  

I think most kids don't want to join the Army because of all the bad things they hear about it (especially the Canadian Army, what with all the pay cuts, the lack of personell and the out of date (or approaching out of date) equipment that could be deemed faulty (?)), and now that the reality of war happening over night has come to life, probably scares a few of the hopefulls out of the runnings to become a member of the Canadian Army.   That, mixed with the lack of information that reaches the public (or so I read in another thread (Civvies in the dark about Canada's military?)) and lack of support from friends and family probably prohibit (again) a lot of the hopefulls for our Army.

But there is still interest, and I think if more information about our operations and Canada's position when it comes to war and such things was made clear (or available?) to the public, there would be more of an interest.

*BEFORE (OR IF) I TAKE HEAT FOR THIS POST*

As most of you know I've made some pretty ridiculous posts in the past that have gotten me in some trouble, I am a civilian with little knowledge and am here to learn, so making posts in threads such as these are risky in case I say the wrong thing or my meaning is misinterpreted.   I have read and re-read this post and think it's okay, but if something I said is wrong or "out there" please correct me.

A raise?

I swear I just read that there was a $700 million cut...

Not is personel pay, maybe in the budget; but, the forces has been given extra money in the last few years and this year.  I don't think it will ever be enough. :-\

I see...

I guess I should have specified budget cuts :P...

Sundborg said:
I don't think it will ever be enough

Is that for personell pay or our budget?

Not everyone wants to join the CF, but then why should they have to?  I don't have any interest in becoming a real Garbageman, but I doubt that the Waste Processing Engineer Society website is lamenting that fact.

Everyone has different goals & interests.  I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Not everyone wants to be lawyer either, or a Doctor, or a dentist, but the point here is that there is a higher interest for a profession in that field then in the Canadian Forces.

Of course it's not a bad thing, but at the same time, you have to ask yourself "why"?

Well it is realy their choise if or if not they want to joine the milatary i 4 1 am joing when i finish high school all im saying is tjat it is their choice 8)

skura said:
Not everyone wants to be lawyer either, or a Doctor, or a dentist, but the point here is that there is a higher interest for a profession in that field then in the Canadian Forces.

Is that really true?  What are you basing this on?  Or is that just what you have perceived first-hand?  I can't say that I've seen the same thing.

Garbageman said:
Is that really true?   What are you basing this on?   Or is that just what you have perceived first-hand?   I can't say that I've seen the same thing.

It's just an example...I'll do some research and get back to you.

As for the interst...

It could also be parental influence.  Parent's who want the best for their kids and don't want their children "going off to war", parents who want their kids to earn good money in a "hot" career, not be a grunt in the Canadian Army (or any Army for that matter).

I'm not saying it's the adults fault why there is little interst, it's (as it has been mentioned here a couple times already) clearly a matter of choice of the individual.  But still, (if I'm not mistaken) the Americans number of troops is something like 1.2 million, whereas the Canadians numbers are on the lower end of 70,000, maybe even more like 66,000 - 69,000.  Is it simply a matter of population? 

Or perhaps the country the kid is brought up in.  The Americans are portrayed as a power hungry country fighting for freedom and peace (power hungry being the portrayed portion of that statement), could that be a factor in their numbers, the need for soldiers to help keep America free?  Because Canada is portrayed the peace keeping country who doesn't get involved in wars, therefore a need for soldiers is not needed?

Im guessing its all that damn Rock and/or Roll kids these days are into.

Joking aside, all my friends look down upon it solely because of the stereotype. Its the job all those who cant do anything else get into, which couldnt be further from the truth.

Whenever people at school found out that I am going to join the army, it was always the same "what if you die?", "are you some kinda gun nut?"(well I guess that one's kinda true ;)) and "why do you want to kill people?" 

They have no idea of what the military is like and the reasons someone would want to join.

I'm 15 and in high school, and I cant wait to be in the army once i'm out. And people do make jokes, but like previously stated, they either support me, worry about me, or are joining with me. Lots of teens dont care....but alot do care too :cdn:

Garbageman said:
Is that really true?   What are you basing this on?   Or is that just what you have perceived first-hand?   I can't say that I've seen the same thing.

Well...I did some searching and unfortunately wasn't able to find any numbers, well, I found one; there are a little over 16,000 (closer to 17,000 actually) doctors in all of Canada.   I find it hard to believe that number considering Canada has a population of just under 32,000,000.   I'll try again tomorrow but if anyone happens to know a good search engine or site that may help me locate the number of doctors in Canada it'd help out a lot.

I do find it amusing however that I chose to look for number of doctors, and came across some information from various sites that Canada is in desperate need of doctors.   Ontario was estimated to need another 1500.   So, I suppose it doesn't matter what profession you're in, there will always be the question "why aren't there more of us", and always be another profession to compare your low numbers too.

And as most of you are saying, friends either joke at your decision or joke about our army (along with the worries etc...)

skura said:
lack of support from friends and family probably prohibit (again) a lot of the hopefulls for our Army.

As you can all relate to, you have received little support from peers, and even though it may be a factor as to why some may not apply (or drop out of the recruiting process), may not be as big of a factor as it could potentially be.

skura said:
Is it simply a matter of population?

I suppose it could be.  

Canada's forces have close to (if not a little higher then) 70,000 (anyone have an exact number?) in a country with a population of close to 32,000,000, and we all feel that our forces numbers need to be boosted.   Now when a Canadian soldier or civilian looks at the numbers of the American Army, which is close to (if not higher then) 1.2 million, we think wow, that's a lot.   But America has a population of around 242 million, so in reality, they are in just as much need of troops as we are.

Teens, whether they like it or not-or- will admit it or not ARE influenced by outside events. I personally lay the blame for the way the service is treated at the doorstep of the highschool teachers in our country today.( for the most part)

For the most part they are ex-hippies who "don't agree" with  the idea of a nation having an armed force of any type. They view the service as a place where people go if they can't seem to get a "real" job, not as a serious career.

Tell one of them that Frredom Isn't Free- they'll go ballistic (as one of mine did - if fact I failed her course for that remark)

I would ask some of the students on the board what their teachers say about the service?

Slim

Slim said:
Teens, whether they like it or not-or- will admit it or not ARE influenced by outside events. I personally lay the blame for the way the service is treated at the doorstep of the highschool teachers in our country today.( for the most part)

For the most part they are ex-hippies who "don't agree" with  the idea of a nation having an armed force of any type. They view the service as a place where people go if they can't seem to get a "real" job, not as a serious career.

Tell one of them that Frredom Isn't Free- they'll go ballistic (as one of mine did - if fact I failed her course for that remark)

I would ask some of the students on the board what their teachers say about the service?

Slim

My Grade V teacher sat us down and gave a long lecture on Rememberance Day - he actually gathered us in a circle if I remember it correctly.  He was my fav teacher in elementary school but I regret that I can't remember why.  I remember part of the story he told us was about a vet telling him of taking his boot off and half his foot with it due to trenchfoot.  He had a lot of respect for servicemen.

Flash forward to my second year in the Miilitia - I was a piper then, and the Adjutant was a school teacher.  Myself and a corporal piper went to play Amazing Grace at his school.  The principal was a grizzled looking guy, bald head, beard, looked like something out of Soldier of Fortune.  "Are you Mike Dorosh" he asked as I signed a guestbook.  Yup, same teacher, who remembered me, congratulated me on my choice of getting into the military and had nothing but fond wishes.

I remember one other thing about Grade V - I had a green shirt with shoulder straps on it - dad bought me a set of CANADA slip ons which I put on my shirt, along with the old work dress Corporal chevrons.  Don't remember why - dad had been a bombardier.  Mr. Hunter said something like 'youngest corporal in the Canadian Army' when I wore my ensemble to class one day.  (I was a weird kid with indulgent parents....)

And the only other thing I remember about that class is having to design a coat of arms for our families.  Mr. Hunter took one look at mine and said "that's not a coat of arms."  I had simply drawn a set of corporal's chevrons.

I had no idea what Army Cadets were then, nor did I even dream of one day serving.  Much less did I foresee actually being a corporal - for 15 years and counting!

But he certainly, IIRC, knew what it was all about and tried to pass that off to us.

On the other hand, I remember in Junior High School, some of the teachers - liberals I presume - who were very concerned that we shouldn't laugh or cheer during the air-to-air combat sequences in the WW II documentaries they were forced to show us.  They were right, of course, but seemed to preach on that point over and over....

I remember a teacher I had in grade 9 by the name of Mr Lawrence...He was one of the few surviving WWII vets who were teaching highschool at the time. He was a tank gunner on a sherman...Don't know what unit, but he would always do the Remembrance Day address over the school P.A. system. A real good guy.

Sadly too few in my highschool were like that while I was there. I remember, on one occasion, the VP telling me to let my hair grow if I wanted to "fit in" better with the other kids.

I think I was in Sea cadets at the time and didn't really have a great desire to "fit in" with them really.

My drama teacher - Mrs Lebow - was an old hippie who knew I was involved with the service (the MO at the time) she couldn't stand me and I actually failed drama (the principle later reversed the decision and gave me a passing grade) even though I participated and did the same things that the other kids did...I guess some people just can't handle it.

Who knows...

Slim

Back