• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the CF like for women in 2010?

CP_001

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been thinking about joining the army recently. I've thought about it before when I was younger, but everybody discouraged me about it.

Thing is, I don't know anyone in the army, so that's why I'm asking you guys (and gals) so I can have the correct picture before enlisting.

Being a 29 years old woman, 5'3'' and 120lbs, I have certain questions:

1) I'm looking into construction officer or logistic officer (I'm a civil/industrial engineer already, and could qualify for both). Considering my physique, is it realistic that I could do the job? I'm all for equal opportunity, but only if you have the physical strength for it, which as you can gather, is not necessarily my forte... I've already ruled out infantry because of that (I don't want to waste my time or anybody else pretending I can lift 120lbs pieces to build a bridge while I probably can't, I haven't tried it though). Or is there another trade that would be better considering my physique and my background?

2) Honestly, what is the situation for women in the army? Feedback I get is kinda mixed: sexual harassment, discrimination, sexual abuse and even rape on one side, and ok, equal opportunity, good professional relationships on the other side. Really, what is it? The truth here please, no sugar-coated answers, even if their harsh. Ask yourselves: would I recommend the army to my daughter/wive knowing what they're going to go through?

I had conflicting feedback from a teacher who was in the army a couples years back: He recommended enlisting, but when I asked if he would recommend it to his 13 years old daughter, he hesitated big time... Hence my question.

3) Being 29 years old, it's probably not a good idea to wait until I'm forty to have kids. However, I've been told it's still very frowned upon to get pregnant in the army, that's it's preferable to enroll when you're 20 and leave after 5-10 years to have kids. If you have kids while being in the army, you get put on a shelf and passed by for promotions, so you end up leaving. What's the current situation about that? Any examples of officers in a situation similar to my own?

4) When you're assigned to a base, are your preferences really taken into account, or is it complete bullshit, they assign you wherever the hell they want 99.8% of the time? I understand they assign you where they need it, but if it's always not where you asked, you must get pretty annoyed after a couple of times! I'm asking because my husband will not be able to follow me across the country all the time.

Thanks!

Well I don't consider myself an authority on this topic, but I can give you some idea from my experience so far.

1) CE or LogO are not terribly physically demanding jobs, so once you make it through BMOQ you are good to go as long as you pass your PT test every year. I had a couple of very small people on my platoon in basic training, and yes it can be hard at times, but it can definitely be done.

2) As far as that is concerned, I personally don't think it is any worse in the military than on civie street. Even in the Navy, which as the lowest percentage of women in the CF, my experience has been that women are treated very fairly on ship, and when you go ashore with your co workers, you have a group of guys around you at all times looking out for you.

3) Maybe the army is different, but getting punished having kids would be sexual discrimination, and that is against the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, so I highly doubt it...

4) They try to accomodate your preferences as much as possible, but remember that the needs of the service always come first.

That is just what I know from my experience so far, so take what you will from that, I'm sure there are people how have a lot more time in who may have a different perspective, but as someone relatively new to the military, that is what I have seen so far.

Best of luck!

With your background the CEO Occupation would be perfect for you.  Right now they have so many vacancies at the Capt/Maj level and people are getting promoted too
quickly.  A more mature pers like you with the quals you already possess would definetely stand out in a crown of kids who don't know jack about construction!

CP

My wife is 5' 1.5" 125lbs and is currently deployed as a Combat Medic in Afghanistan, don't sell yourself short by anymeans. She carries all the same fighting kit as many of the Infantry guys and then carries her heavy Med Bag. Now to do this my wife spends a great deal of time in the Gym working out with me doing a lot of strength and conditioning training but that is just the little extra effort she puts in to do her job and do it well. You might be small but don't think for a second you can't do the job.

As for sexism in the CF I have seen it yes but not on a professional level only on individual levels. Never have I seen a woman punished for being pregnant nor will I. A single troop may not like woman say in the combat arms but the CF as a whole has ZERO issues with it. I have a friend who has 3 children was just promoted to MCpl and will soon be leaving her position in a conventional Army Unit to work in CANSOFCOM so your fears of being put on the shelf because you have kids is totally unfounded.

Now I have made the CF my career and so does it look like my will will do the same. But all that being said I would rather not my child ren join the CF, Why you ask because like all parents I want better for my child. The pay is great the life is great, but to do this I put myself in danger and what parent could in good conscious want for their child to be in danger? Now if the time comes and any of my children tell me they are joining I will be proud and support them but I would never convince them to enlist.

Postings are up in the air sometimes you get what you ask for sometimes you get close to what you ask for and sometimes you just get what the CF needs. That is the nature of beast I am afraid. No one here can tell you that you will go where you want but I will tell you no matter where you end up you will soon find a social network of work colleagues that will make even the furthest place from your primary choice seem not bad at all.

I hope I was some help in answering your questions. should you need anything more just ask away on here I am sure many people can tell you themselves that it is worth the effort and your size is not necessarily a detriment.

Read this.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/62711/post-571415.html#msg571415
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/27742/post-2212.html#msg2212

Would I would want my wife and daughter to join the CF?  The answer basically is based on trades.  I would not want them joining the combat arms.  Why?  Well aside from the fact it's dangerous and I wouldn't want to worry about them.....too often, women, (in my regiment at least) are given special treatment because they are women and this builds a big amount of resentment from the men.  This is turn leads to comments both to their face and behind their back as well as guys not wanting them in their crew.  Overseas we had a female in our patrol and after a couple months sitting in an OP with no human contact except those 11 other people......well having her around was just plain hard. 

Now if my wife or daughter wanted to join he CF in a non combat arms trade I'd drive them down to the CFRC myself.

I can't believe people still ask questions about equality in the armed forces. Thousands of women are in the armed forces and just as good as their male counter-parts. Cpt. Nichola Goddard is a prime example. Get over it already. This topic is so pre-historic.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a dinosaur, but I have learned to avoid extinction by adapting to the times.  It wasn't hard.  All it took was an open mind and a sprinkling of maturity.  Now, at NDHQ I work with an Air Force major and for an Army full colonel, both female and both offiers who I respect very much.

My smart, attractive and fit 17 year old daughter wants to join - as an Infantry soldier in the Army Reserve for starters.  I would do nothing to discourage her from doing so, either Regular or Reserve Force.

If there is a problem with women in the CF then it's my opinion that the men in the CF have to get better at accepting that this is the 21st century and yes, women can be (and oftern are) just as good as men to soldiering.

Get fit.  Enrol.  Do your best.  Stay fit.  Stand up for yourself and don't take shyte that you don't deserve from anyone.  And that's the same advice that I give males as well.

Thanks for your responses everyone!

I appreciate you honesty in your answers to my questions. As I've said before, since I don't know anyone in the army right now, I'm glad I can post on this forum to get answers to my question. Enlisting is an important decision, and I believe it's only normal to get accurate info before doing it.

The goal of my post was not to reopen the age-old debate about whether women should be in the army or not, but really to get a picture of their reality in it. The main reason I asked was mainly to compare it to my personal experience during the last 10 years. I've worked mostly in men dominated fields during that time (construction sites surveillance and industrial shop jobs). Depending on the job I held, I was either treated with great respect, or was severely harassed, even once treated as a complete outcast and had to leave the job.  From my personal experience, even if a company says officially "equal opportunity and treatment", I've learned sometimes the hard way that unofficially, it's not true (but they'll never tell you that before you get aboard, of course).

If anyone has other comments, please feel free to contribute to this thread!

Be who you are and if people don't like that then nuts to them. A lot of personal hurdles were overcome by female members of the armed forces in the past 20 years, moreso even within the past 10. It's the 21st century, people are getting used to it.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?cat=00&id=3579

Back