• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

When Can family join me & I have a criminal record

Alcomo

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I just have a few quick questions. I have always wanted to be a part of the Canadian Forces and am hoping to apply after my wedding later this year. I have two questions, one of which has worried me for a while now.

I have a criminal record with a domestic assault charge on it. It is about a 5 year old charge and all court orders have been long completed as well as counseling. Before and after the charges I had maintained a clean criminal record and have made an strong effort to improve myself and mature. I do not have a no weapons order as I told the judge I had plans to apply to the military. Unfortunately I cannot apply for a pardon for 2 more years. My question is how will this affect my eligibility and security clearance? Would I be wasting my and the Canadian Forces time if I apply this year, or is it something that can potentially be looked past as long as I prove myself an upstanding individual that meets all the criteria to join.

My second question is a little simpler. I have a fiancee and two young children (5 and 8 ). I was looking at Airborne Electronic Sensor Operator training information. If I were accepted to the military, at which point in my training would my family able to accompany me? I know Basic Training is 12 weeks in length. After is the Basic Occupational Qualification Training, which appears to take approx. 24 weeks. Is it at that point my family can accompany me?

Thanks you for taking the time to read through this. I hope to hear from you soon!

Good day Alcomo,

1) On occasion, a Criminal Record Background Check (CRNC) may indicate that an applicant to the CAF is in the process of completing obligations to the judicial system, such as probation, and firearms or driving prohibitions.  As the CAF cannot interfere with the judicial system, an applicant who is completing obligations or under a judicial process (e.g., an outstanding arrest warrant, charges awaiting disposition, witness, or appealing a court decision) is ineligible for enrolment until the judicial obligation has expired or has been lifted.

As you have stated your obligations to the judicial system are complete therefore the following applies during the processing of your application:

In determining Reliability Screening (RS) during the processing of your application, Military Career Councillors (MCCs) are required to provide a fair and objective assessment that respects the rights of the individual. The existence of a criminal record or adverse credit check can be but need not be sufficient grounds to deny RS and applicants must be given an opportunity to explain adverse information before a determination of RS is made. The administrative process for examining an applicant’s criminal conviction(s), adverse credit and any other situation that may impact conferring RS will be determined during the CRNC portion of the recruiting process.

2) During the 14 weeks of your Basic Military Qualification (BMQ) course, and during your occupation training, it will be impossible for your family members to accompany you. There will be several occasions during these courses where your family members can come and visit you or you may be able to visit them at home. However, you will be required to obtain permission from your instructors before this can happen. When you are undertaking any training during these periods, you must make your own arrangements to secure care for your family.
Members may move their family only if any course duration exceeds 180 days and approval to do so is granted.

All CF personnel attending courses in duration of 180 days are posted under a category called “restricted”. This means that the member must seek approval from the applicable school and accommodation must be secured before the restriction may be lifted. Once these courses are completed and you receive your posting instruction to your first unit, you will receive authorization to move your family and personal effects.

Back