• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who here is going on the QL3 RMS Clerk course at CFFS (Quebec) in Sept?

Prairie Cowgirl

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, was just wondering who here is going to this course or who has been to CFFS before? I've never been there before.

Edited to add "(Quebec)" to subject line.

Roy

Prairie Cowgirl said:
Hi, was just wondering who here is going to this course or who has been to CFFS before? I've never been there before.

Which CFFS?  There are 3 of them: Esquimalt, Halifax and Quebec.  I have been at all of them.  Not recently, but I can answer questions for you if you specify which one.  As well, I thought that the RMS courses were only at Borden?

airmich said:
Which CFFS?  There are 3 of them: Esquimalt, Halifax and Quebec.  I have been at all of them.  Not recently, but I can answer questions for you if you specify which one.  As well, I thought that the RMS courses were only at Borden?

Seen some decentralized ones at Aldershot.

I was last at CFFS (Q) in '01, but I hear it hasn't changed much, if at all.

When you first get there, you will figure that you are in the wrong place.  The accommodations building looks like a hotel or apartment!  There is a front desk, elevator and even luggage carts to help you get your things to your room.  I was in a double room for my course and it had in it: 2 single beds, 2 large lockers (more like wardrobes), TV with VCR, 2 desks, bar fridge, bathroom (yes, it was inside the room!).  It was all carpeted and the maids came in to clean it daily Mon-Fri.  There are also single rooms for higher ups, as well as quad rooms (similar to the double just made for 4) and there are some dorm style rooms too, but I'm not sure what all is in them.  (you will most likely be in a quad or dorm room, given your rank) On each floor, there is also a common area with chairs and TV.  The mess is in the same building and has a bar (limited hours), pool table, dart boards, stereo system, TV etc.  You eat in the same building as well.  Sandwich and salad bars, typical mess food.

The school itself is a short 2 minute walk outside the door of accommodations.  Typical Fleet School with classrooms, offices, parade square (inside and outside ones).  As well, there is a gym.  When I was there, it was quite small and cramped, but had treadmills, bikes, rowing machines, free weights etc.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know, or if you have any questions, ask away!

Thanks, it sounds like a nice place to me! Is the base right in the city or outside? Is it close to restaurants, coffee shops, etc?

When I was there last, there were a few restaurants and bars nearby and a variety store right across the street, but no major stores close.  I recall taking a bus to a mall a couple times though.  Here is a list from the joining package of what is nearby, as well as a picture of the buildings.

Accommodations are situated at 144 Dalhousie Street in Québec in the Old Port Area

MUSEUM

Explore son et lumière
63, Dalhousie
692-2063

Musée de la civilisation
643-2158

Musée des Ursulines
12, Donnacona
694-0694

Musée du Royal 22è régiment
Côte de la Citadelle
694-2815

Musée naval
170, rue Dalhousie, QC
694-5387

Musée Québec expérience
8, rue du Trésor
694-4000

RESTAURANTS

Apsara
71, rue d'Auteuil
694-0232

Cambodgiennes, Vietnamiennes, Thaïlandaises

Asia
89, Sault-au-Matelot
692-3799
Vietnamienne, Thaïlandaise

Bouche Bée
383, St-Paul
692-4680
Bagels, Sous-marins, Sandwiches

Charbon Bar & Grill
450, de la Gare du Palais
522-0133
Grillades

L'Ardoise
Resto-Bistro
71, rue St-Paul
694-0213

Laurie Raphaël
692-4555
117, rue Dalhousie

L'Échaudé
73, rue du Sault-au-Matelot
692-1299
Grillades

Le diable aux Anges
28, Boulevard Champlain
Moules, Grillades, Italien

Le Vendôme
36, côte de la Montagne
692-0557
Parisien

L'Étoile du Maroc
307, rue St-Paul
692-0997
Marocaine

Moss
255, rue St-Paul
692-0233
Moules

Nagoya
560, Grande Allée Est
522-2723
Bar Sushi

Subdélice
67, Sault-au-Matelot
692-5118
Sous-marins, Bagels, Croissants

Trattoria Sant-Angelo
692-4862
10, du Cul de sac
Italien

CINEMA
Cinéma Galeries de la Capitale
5401, Boulevard des Galeries, Québec
628-2455

Cinéplex Odéon Beauport
825, rue Clémenceau, Beauport
661--9494

Starcité
1150, Boulvard Duplessis, Sainte-Foy
874-0255

SHOPPING CENTER

Canex Valcartier
844-2343
Place Feur de Lys
552, boulvard Wilfrid Hamel, Québec
529-0728

Centre commercial Les Galeries de la Capitale
5401, boulvard des Galeries, Québec
627-5800

Centre commercial Place Laurier
2700, boulvard Laurier, Sainte-Foy
653-9318

BANK

Banque Nationale
59, rue Dalhousie

POST OFFICE
59, Rue Dalhousie - Timbres
300, rue St-Paul

Are RMS clerk courses held in Borden only?  I am waiting for my "call" and wondering about the training.  How about the QL3?

MS07 said:
Are RMS clerk courses held in Borden only?  I am waiting for my "call" and wondering about the training.  How about the QL3?

If you read the title of the thread that you posted this in, plus read through the posts themselves, you'll find the answer to your question about location.

edited to add:  Here is the link to the "logistics" sub-board.  You should be able to find more information on RMS training within the posts there.

Back