• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wouldn't you know it....

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Just a place to put observations you feel are a kick in the teeth.

I don't know about you guys but the best coffee shops in Halifax all seem to be run by granola eating tree huggers.  :o ???

I'm from BC and therefore resent those East Coasters getting our nickname - and besides, you make it sound like eating granola and communing with trees are bad things  ;D.

MM

Ex-Dragoon said:
I don't know about you guys but the best coffee shops in Halifax all seem to be run by granola eating tree huggers.  :o ???

What makes them the best coffee shops?  Is it the quality of their coffee or superior customer service, or is it the ambiance of their establishment?  Though they probably don't grow their own (coffee, that is, let's not get into other stuff) perhaps the reason they are the best may be connected to being "granola eating tree huggers".  Besides they are only trying to sell you coffee, right?  They're not trying to get you to join a cult, or are they?

So, what in your opinion is some of the great ones here in town?  Do they use fair trade coffee?  If not tsk tsk, someone from the far left will come and confiscate their Birkenstocks and hit them with a willow switch.

My preferences would be in no particular order:
1) Just Us! Cafe
2) Trident Booksellers
3) Uncommon Grounds

Ex-Dragoon said:
My preferences would be in no particular order:
1) Just Us! Cafe
2) Trident Booksellers
3) Uncommon Grounds

Uncommon Grounds...one of my fav's when I was living out there :o)

off topic, but pete's frootique in Halifax is simply amazing

Maybe it's because "granola eating tree huggers" are more into providing a service then making a buck.  This way they can get the better coffee and not just the least expensive.

Blackadder1916 said:
What makes them the best coffee shops?  Is it the quality of their coffee or superior customer service, or is it the ambiance of their establishment?  Though they probably don't grow their own (coffee, that is, let's not get into other stuff) perhaps the reason they are the best may be connected to being "granola eating tree huggers".  Besides they are only trying to sell you coffee, right?  They're not trying to get you to join a cult, or are they?

Just a quick point. Anyone who judges a coffee shop on "ambiance" instead of coffee quality probably wouldn't know good coffee if it was poured down their neck. Also just to really aggravate people, Tim Hortons is not good coffee. I don't think it even qualifies as bad coffee. I prefer to think of it as "coloured water". :-X

2 Cdo said:
Just a quick point. Anyone who judges a coffee shop on "ambiance" instead of coffee quality probably wouldn't know good coffee if it was poured down their neck. Also just to really aggravate people, Tim Hortons is not good coffee. I don't think it even qualifies as bad coffee. I prefer to think of it as "coloured water". :-X

Thank god, someone who agrees with me!!
I've noticed that those who say TH is the best coffee around are those who generally take it double/double or triple/triple. 
Of course it's going to taste good with all that dairy fat in it!

2 Cdo said:

No disagreement here.  I have rarely found good coffee in North America, save outside my own kitchen.  Any coffee shop that pre-prepares the brew or asks "what flavour" doesn't know what coffee is.  The world will be a better place when the last Starbucks closes.  And yes, Timmie does serve coffee substitute.

Blackadder1916 said:
No disagreement here.  I have rarely found good coffee in North America, save outside my own kitchen.  Any coffee shop that pre-prepares the brew or asks "what flavour" doesn't know what coffee is.  The world will be a better place when the last Starbucks closes.  And yes, Timmie does serve coffee substitute.

I went to a Starbucks once and ordered a coffee, only to be asked "What flavour?". I replied with "Coffee flavoured" which seemed to confuse the young girl at the counter, who asked a co-worker for assisstance. ::) The coffee I eventually recieved was a very plain, slightly burnt tasting coffee which ended up being dumped half-full into the nearest garbage can as I couldn't choke down anymore of it.

2 Cdo said:
I went to a Starbucks

Well there's your problem.  ;)

There is a little place near my house called "Heaven On 7" (cause its on Highway 7) that has amazing coffee.  All like free trade, different blends from other countries.  Yum Yum.

MedTechStudent said:
There is a little place near my house called "Heaven On 7" (cause its on Highway 7) that has amazing coffee.  All like free trade, different blends from other countries.  Yum Yum.

Do they ask you what flavour you want?  Is the coffee already prepared when you order it?  See previous post.

In Kingston right by city hall is a little coffee shop called Sips that makes a very tasty espresso and cappachino.

Blackadder1916 said:
Do they ask you what flavour you want?  Is the coffee already prepared when you order it?  See previous post.

Oh no its like a little restaurant walk in place where they smoke lots of different food.  Then there is this separate room where there are all types of blends and flavors in labeled black thermoses all around the room.  So you just pay for the size then get your cup and walk in and pour which one you want then add your own sugar/cream/milk.

Cool Place 

2 Cdo said:
I went to a Starbucks once and ordered a coffee, only to be asked "What flavour?". I replied with "Coffee flavoured" which seemed to confuse the young girl at the counter, who asked a co-worker for assisstance. ::) The coffee I eventually recieved was a very plain, slightly burnt tasting coffee which ended up being dumped half-full into the nearest garbage can as I couldn't choke down anymore of it.

okay that's weird, for regular brewed coffee Starbucks has three options (mostly), they are medium, bold and decaf.  While you can put in flavour shots it shouldn't be so difficult to get a coffee.  All you have to say is "Grande Bold" (Medium Bold) or "Tall medium" (Small Medium) or "Venti Decaf" (large decaf).

Sheerin said:
All you have to say is "Grande Bold" (Medium Bold) or "Tall medium" (Small Medium) or "Venti Decaf" (large decaf).

Gah, I loathe starbucks, as it represents this elitist coffee-shop attitude and style of life that people get into.

If I want a coffee, I want a coffee. If I want it large, I say large. I don't know why they have to change it to "Venti".

And a person who works the counter at starbucks is no longer just that. They are a "Barista". They make bloody coffee.

In-Store Safeway STARBUCKS BARISTAS DUTIES INCLUDE:
Customer Service, prepare hot and cold beverages, preparing the work area, stocking and ordering product and supplies, light cleaning and operating cash register.

Why call them a Barista? To make the college drop-out with the 1200 piercings on their face, who's making my coffee (I think it's coffee) feel better about themselves? And that gives them the right to smirk at me when I say I want a large coffee, then correct me and say "Oh, you mean a venti blah blah roast".....

I need the coffee to keep from killing people after the coffee shop experience.

Beadwindow 7 said:
Gah, I loathe starbucks, as it represents this elitist coffee-shop attitude and style of life that people get into.

If I want a coffee, I want a coffee. If I want it large, I say large. I don't know why they have to change it to "Venti".

And a person who works the counter at starbucks is no longer just that. They are a "Barista". They make bloody coffee.

Why call them a Barista? To make the college drop-out with the 1200 piercings on their face, who's making my coffee (I think it's coffee) feel better about themselves? And that gives them the right to smirk at me when I say I want a large coffee, then correct me and say "Oh, you mean a venti blah blah roast".....

I need the coffee to keep from killing people after the coffee shop experience.

wow, quite the rant.

Back