• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wrongful death suit against American pilots.

Paul Gagnon

Inactive
Reaction score
I just saw this on the news. The parents of Pte Green are launching a wrongful death suit against the US pilots. What are your thoughts on this?

http://edmonton.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ed_ppcli20030213

I read about this and I think its terrible that the
mother is trying to extort money like this.

I think this is a poor, distasteful way to honour
the memory of their son.

just my 2 cents

edit: The story from canada.com says that
its only the mother and foster father. The
biological father and fiancee want nothing to
do with it.

If the pilot didn‘t do this deliberately, he should not be on the hook for it. Military justice should apply to his case - a court martial, following a BOE - but not a civvie lawsuit. Soldiers should be exempt from such things, IMO.

A wrongful death civil suit is just another example of the American legal system gone wrong. That‘s what criminal law is for...you kill someone, you go to jail. You shouldn‘t be able to sue for crimes which are already prosecuted by the state. It comes down to: We can‘t prove you guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, so even if you didn‘t do it, we‘ll prove it using different standards and wreck your life anyway.

If the case against the american pilots was being swept under the rug (by the military)then i would probably agree with what the mother is trying to do. Thats not the case in this situation though. Since the american pilots are being held accountable i don‘t see a reason to file that kinda lawsuit. What could she possibly gain from it?

I think this is a poor, distasteful way to honour the memory of their son.
This was my first thought but I wasn‘t sure if I was the only one who felt this way.

The suit has been filed against the U.S. government, not the pilots. That means that the trial‘s end state should have no financial repercussions on the pilots.

After-thought: Read the Globe and Mail article

I wonder if we can take osama bin ladden to court.

A settlement could be in the millions.
Well obviously, i mean it‘s not about the money right? Its about justice.

This kinda reminds me of a family of a drinking and driving accident sueing a bar (instead of the individual responsible)

Back