• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WW2 WD Tk T & CT Serials

R

Roddy1011

Hello to all out there -

Please excuse this rather strange request but I am attempting what many might call ‘The Impossible Task’ - I am trying to match the 350,000 or so WD T- and CT- Series vehicle numbers to units. As I am sure you are aware, these numbers were unique to each vehicle.

My reason for attempting such a thing is that I have been collecting original photographs and albums for a number of years and am constantly thwarted by the wartime censors. The only numbers or tac-signs they did not seem to scrub were the WD numbers. Match the number to an unit/sub-unit and you have a tentative identification! My project have now grown to such an extent that just collecting and databasing the results is taking up much of my time. I am hoping to eventually publish both a print and CD-Rom version of the final result, but this is unlikely for the next year or two as I still have a long way to go.

To that end, I was wondering if within the wartime archives or later studies within your collections you have any listings or other such details that would link the Regiment’s vehicles to these numbers. I am particulary interested in anything pertaining to the Regiment‘s RCEME Officers, Technical Adjutants or HQ Company Mortar, Anti-Tank or Carrier Platoon Commanders and their records. War Diary Appendices might also yeild some CT Numbers.

I do hope you can possibly help and, of course, I would be more than happy to pay for any expenses incurred (photocopying etc).

I look forward to possibly hearing from you in the near future

Roderick de Normann
Devizes
Wiltshire

Roddy1011@yahoo.co.uk

After the Battle printed DIEPPE: THROUGH THE LENS OF THE GERMAN WAR PHOTOGRAPHER which listed a bunch of the WD numbers for the vehicles at Dieppe; unfortunately most of them were "T" numbers since the Churchills were not Canadian production.

Good luck with your project, will the results be available on line? I am sure a lot of vehicle modellers and restoration types would love to see a complete list.

I will check with the Calgary Highlanders archives and see what they have. They currently hold the War Diary for the battalion which consists of 2300 or so records, perhaps some scraps will be in there for you?

Back