• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

X Box Controllers

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
https://www.stripes.com/news/us/the-navy-s-most-advanced-submarines-will-soon-be-using-xbox-controllers-1.488074#.Wb7mK1e0m70

image.jpg

BOARD USS JOHN WARNER (Tribune News Service) — The control room of the Navy's most advanced submarine is filled with sophisticated computers, flat-screen monitors and sailors who grew up in a digital world.

At times it can look a bit like a video game arcade, and not just because of the high-resolution graphics.

The Navy is beginning to use an Xbox 360 controller – like the ones you find at the mall – to operate the periscopes aboard Virginia-class submarines.

Unlike other types of submarines people are familiar with from Hollywood, Virginia-class submarines don't have a traditional rotating tube periscope that only one person can look through at a time.

It's been replaced with two photonics masts that rotate 360 degrees. They feature high-resolution cameras whose images are displayed on large monitors that everyone in the control room can see. There's no barrel to peer through anymore; everything is controlled with a helicopter-style stick. But that stick isn't so popular.

"The Navy got together and they asked a bunch of J.O.s and junior guys, 'What can we do to make your life better?' " said Lt. j.g. Kyle Leonard, the USS John Warner's assistant weapons officer, referring to junior officers and sailors. "And one of the things that came out is the controls for the scope. It’s kind of clunky in your hand; it’s real heavy."

Lockheed Martin and Navy officials have been working to use commercial off-the-shelf technology to reduce costs and take advantage of the technological skills sailors grow up with. The integration of the video-game Xbox controller grew out of that effort.

Lockheed Martin refers to the classified research lab in Manassas where testing occurred as the submarine version of "Area 51," the nickname for the Nevada base where some of the Air Force's most advanced and secretive projects are tested.

The Xbox controller is no different than the ones a lot of crew members grew up playing with. Lockheed Martin says the sailors who tested the controller at its lab were intuitively able to figure out how to use it on their own within minutes, compared to hours of training required for the joystick.

The Xbox controller also is significantly cheaper. The company says the photonic mast handgrip and imaging control panel that cost about $38,000 can now be replaced with an Xbox controller that typically costs less than $30.

"That joystick is by no means cheap, and it is only designed to fit on a Virginia-class submarine," said Senior Chief Mark Eichenlaub, the John Warner's assistant navigator. "I can go to any video game store and procure an Xbox controller anywhere in the world, so it makes a very easy replacement."

The Navy says that the system has gone through extensive testing over the past two years and that the Xbox controller will be included as part of the integrated imaging system for Virginia-class subs beginning with the future USS Colorado, which is supposed to be commissioned by November.

The Xbox controller will be installed on other Virginia-class submarines, such as the Norfolk-based John Warner, through the normal modernization process, according to Brienne Lang, a spokeswoman for the Navy's program executive office for submarines. The John Warner had a demonstration model aboard this past week as it transited from Naval Station Norfolk to Groton, Conn.

Eichenlaub said the Navy doesn't plan on stopping innovation with the Xbox controller, either. The goal is to develop technology that young people already are comfortable with, such as working with electronic touch screens on iPads and in virtual environments.

"Ideally, what they want to see in 10 years down the road is, there’s basically a glass panel display with windows, and you can just pull a window of information, review that, push it off, bring in the next window," he said.

"They want to bring in sailors with what they have at home on their personal laptop, their personal desktop, what they grew up with in a classroom."

Touch screen chart plotting and route planning table, anyone?

So, let me get this straight:

The USN's plan is to take a commercial, off the shelf peripheral device that is probably assembled in China and then attach it to the best submarine class in the world, thus giving the peripheral device access to the software in the submarine's combat system.

Am I the only one who sees a problem here?

You probably are, SKT.

First of all, the X-Box controller is just that: a controller. It's a bunch of buttons that save you actually waling over to the machine to push the actual buttons individually. So it does not provide any capability for receiving external signals, nor for retransmitting information back to someone outside.

Second, it only accesses and controls the systems in the periscope mast. Those systems are detached from the actual combat systems of the submarine.

Finally, and even if the controller somehow could be used to "infiltrate" the submarines systems, the only EM frequencies that can transmit deep enough in the water to reach the controller with a submarine at periscope depth are VLF/ELF, and the controller or its wire are not long enough to act as antenna for such frequency.

Well, you only need a few controllers (there aren't that many US submarines of that class), and there are thousands of Walmart's in the USA: You just do local purchases at random stores, picking up random boxes off the shelf, unannounced and dressed in civvies. What would be the chance that a "malicious" controller would find its way down into a submarine out of the millions of controller produced? And how would the clerk know that the teenager/young person buying the controller is Navy and not a random teen who happened to have just destroyed his own controller by throwing it at the wall in a fit of rage at losing another first shooter game, as some do (my son shall remain nameless here) on average every six to eight months?

;D

I don't know about me. Sometimes I think even I should be careful about taking my own advice  :nod:, but I would put money on the US Navy.

Other than food, not much goes down into a US submarine without the go ahead of NAVSEA.

This isnt really a new concept. If anyone recalls the PSS we were using in the stan in 2010, the aerostat had a god awful joystick that was constantly breaking with no replacement parts. Nicely its a windows based system so a USB contoller was the solution and what did we have a ton of....xboxes, so the xbox controller was used. IIRC the operators prefered it to the joystick.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

EpicBeardedMan said:
What malicious code?
It's possible to upload programs onto a controller, albeit not very big ones, but sometimes can brick an electronic or something else along the lines of that.

war2001v said:
It's possible to upload programs onto a controller, albeit not very big ones, but sometimes can brick an electronic or something else along the lines of that.

Who would be uploading malicious code into retail Xbox controllers? I would think that they would randomize where they bought it from, maybe even buying direct from Microsoft itself or that they would have someone who's job it is to verify that.

EpicBeardedMan said:
Who would be uploading malicious code into retail Xbox controllers? I would think that they would randomize where they bought it from, maybe even buying direct from Microsoft itself or that they would have someone who's job it is to verify that.
Hey you never know, maybe some type of chappie scenario might happen, and humanity itself could hinge on this one Xbox controller that a call of duty player just uploaded a virus to because he messed up his killstreak.

Back