• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GG Payette resigns 21 Jan 2021

Vickers shot someone with a handgun. Trudeau would never go for that association.

Maybe 'close combat skills' is an unspoken requirement of the job? :)

In Maryland, Payette was driving and struck and killed a pedestrian who had stepped off a curb in July 2011. The case was closed without charges in April 2012 as she was found not at fault. Payette was charged with second degree assault in Maryland, on November 24, 2011. At least one anonymously quoted source has alleged that the victim of the assault was her then-husband, Billie Flynn. Though the charges were later dropped, the couple split several weeks later and subsequently divorced.

Maybe 'close combat skills' is an unspoken requirement of the job? :)

In Maryland, Payette was driving and struck and killed a pedestrian who had stepped off a curb in July 2011. The case was closed without charges in April 2012 as she was found not at fault. Payette was charged with second degree assault in Maryland, on November 24, 2011. At least one anonymously quoted source has alleged that the victim of the assault was her then-husband, Billie Flynn. Though the charges were later dropped, the couple split several weeks later and subsequently divorced.

I guess that the writing was on the wall from the beginning.

I guess that the writing was on the wall from the beginning.
Actual vetting instead of nepotism would have disqualified her right away. As Blackadder pointed out, a lot of us only knew her resume on the wavetops and seemed like a great pick. Those who actually have worked with her would have been spoken to during the independent committee and her file wouldn't have made it to the PM's desk.

Those who actually have worked with her would have been spoken to during the independent committee and her file wouldn't have made it to the PM's desk.

That’s not how this round worked, PC. She was hand picked by the PM.....right after the PM’s wife ‘suggested’ it would signal the right virtue.

We should stop pretending that there was even a pretense of a principled identification of a worthy and appropriately dedicated individual to represent the Queen in Canada.

It was most likely never in the PM’s mind that an independent council should be raised to provide recommendations to the PM to them seek ‘approval’ by the Queen. There was enough veneer on the surface for the nepotistic/marital decision to fill the deep cracks for a few years anyway...

/cynical

I know, G2G. This is something the PM should wear, as all roads point to his failure even if people at Rideau Hall "experienced differently" GG Payette's inappropriate behaviour. The cynic in me says this is a perfect distraction from the absolute failure in COVID-19 vaccine procurement and will just slide off the PM's shoulders like every single other conflict of interest/abuse of authority/strategic policy failure.

I have the faintest hope that our national media will finally start holding the government to account properly, and these issues won't disappear. But I buy a lotto ticket every week because this week is my week to win....

Actual vetting instead of nepotism would have disqualified her right away. As Blackadder pointed out, a lot of us only knew her resume on the wavetops and seemed like a great pick. Those who actually have worked with her would have been spoken to during the independent committee and her file wouldn't have made it to the PM's desk.
You mean, like, reading the Wikipedia entry?

LOL. The person that signs these law thingys into force about workplace harassment/violence is then the subject of a scathing report that herself may have done some violence/harassing. Shouldn't that position be the single most accountable to the laws they endorse?

Perhaps its time to do away with the GG and all its trappings and ceremony ?

What is the benefit to the country ? Other than some emotional and nostalgic attachment to a dated European Monarchy that is irrelevant to modern Canada society.

What is the benefit to the country ? Other than some emotional and nostalgic attachment to a dated European Monarchy that is irrelevant to modern Canada society.
I like how people throw that COA out without any consideration of the Constitutional implications. Getting rid of the GG would mean getting the agreement of 7 provinces with over 50% of the population. And it would mean any future PM would be completely unchecked In their powers.

Well for starters you would have to completely re-write the whole constitution of the country which based off how well that has gone the couple times they tried to change it since Trudeau senior forced the current one down our throats I don't see that happening any time soon. They set a exceptionally high bar to to meet (which they didn't meet in the first place) and with the way our democracy is structured I don't see it happening. Not to mention any attempt to modify the constitution will result in everyone wanting to throw their two cents in, create their own benefits and entrench them. Native rights either removing them or entrenching them, gay rights, property rights, religious rights or lack there of, modifications to what we consider rights, rewording of legislation such as modifying the Charter to make it easier to override or more difficult, changing the electoral system, etc. basically you name a cause they will want a piece. It is literally creating a new form of government for our country.

Australia which has a much more Republic minded country still hasn't done it due to the difficulties involved in the process and societally they are much closer to it than us.

Much easier to putt along with the status quo which has worked just fine until now thanks to one bad apple. The apple is gone, now made a decision based on merit not nepotism.

The bigger issue I see is that she shall receive 149k a year for the rest of her life due to her service which to me is absolutely insane. Unfortunately politicians get to decide their own pay and benefits and have never ever voted against it.

Incorrect, SKT. And it's even worse than you think.

The constitutional implications of touching the GG's position is, in effect, touching the powers and role of the Crown. As such, it requires unanimity, that is the assent of all ten provinces and the Federal parliament.

This unanimity was something the Trudeau Sr. had to agree to in order to get his "compromise" when he repatriated the Constitution. BTW, it was required of him by nine provinces out of ten - can you guess which province didn't care about embedding the Crown into our constitution so strongly?

You really want to go republican after all the crap we have witnessed south of the border? Even ceremonial checks and balances provide some measure of protection. Being a 'prime' minister is not the same as being president and I for one am grateful for the difference

You really want to go republican after all the crap we have witnessed south of the border? Even ceremonial checks and balances provide some measure of protection. Being a 'prime' minister is not the same as being president and I for one am grateful for the difference
I would have resigned my commission before pledging allegiance to any head of government.

I like how people throw that COA out without any consideration of the Constitutional implications. Getting rid of the GG would mean getting the agreement of 7 provinces with over 50% of the population. And it would mean any future PM would be completely unchecked In their powers.
A cynic, (not me, of course) might say, "And the difference from status quo is what ?":confused:

Past GG's have acceded to the "requests' of serving PM's. We have to go back almost a century to find a GG who has used their power to "benefit" the democratic process in Canada.

The delicate role of the Governor General | CBC News

I am still on the fence on this one, trying to rationalize/support the now abrogated role of the Queen's representative in Canada. While we still have the office and it's powers enshrined constitutionally, I am not certain that Canadians or the government are particularly aware, or care, what checks and balances that the office brings. But without it, as you say, "Here be Monsters."

Governor General Julie Payette

Her appointment had more Red Flags than a CCCP Parade!

60559a0b4343af9e4a184267860eef36.jpg

Anecdotal evidence would suggest that increasing the accountability role would be a good thing along with establishing a truly non-partisan selection committee.

Back