• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Of South Carolina President Resigns After Plagiarizing Part Of Speech

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Retired General failure...

University Of South Carolina President​

Resigns After Plagiarizing Part Of Speech

Seniors at the University of South Carolina had already dealt with one disaster — the pandemic — when they took their socially distanced seats at the school's commencement ceremony last weekend.

Then came another train wreck.

The university's president, Robert Caslen, delivered a speech so bungled — with the wrong school name and closing remarks lifted nearly word-for-word from another famous commencement address — that it prompted widespread criticism from social media users to state legislators in South Carolina.

Now, less than a week later, Caslen has resigned.

"I am truly sorry," said Caslen, a retired Army lieutenant general, in a statement announcing his resignation. "I was searching for words about resilience in adversity and when they were transcribed into the speech, I failed to ensure its attribution. I take full responsibility for this oversight."

Criticism of Caslen's address, which was delivered Friday night, began immediately after he called students "the newest alumni from the University of California" to shocked laughter from the crowd.

After a university official standing near him whispered "South Carolina," Caslen corrected himself, then joked about owing the crowd pushups.

University Of South Carolina President Resigns After Plagiarizing Part Of Speech

I read that this morning. It would have been so easy to say "in the words of..."

I read that this morning. It would have been so easy to say "in the words of..."

Indeed.

At least he had the guts to own it and stand down, instead of just apologizing and continuing to lurk in the shadows as a lame duck.

Back