• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Irony?

I just strikes me as a little ironic that, on this beautiful Saint-Jean-Baptiste day here in Quebec, all Quebecers are united ... in rooting from the Canadiens. ;)
Any Aussies (or those who know their slang) would be chuckling at that line right now. :sneaky:

Well, since Canada is the historical name of New-France and was inhabited by the original Canadiens, it certainly makes sense to root for them ;)

We'll let the rest of Canada root for Les feuilles d'érables...

Isn't Canada taken from the Iroquoian language? We can all cheer for out big, diverse, far-from-perfect-but-still-great village!

Isn't Canada taken from the Iroquoian language? We can all cheer for out big, diverse, far-from-perfect-but-still-great village!
Correct. The Iroquoian word for "village" or "settlement" is "Kanata".

Correct. The Iroquoian word for "village" or "settlement" is "Kanata".
Or its new definition:

"Where most DND/CAF people live if they can afford it, to be close to Carling Campus."

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

I think that the OP is referring to the fact that the Canadiens were traditionally the Federalist team, while the Nordics were the Separatist team.

The Maroons were the french team, and the Canadiens were the English team. Of course, that was before the original six. That was in the days of the original "one"... ;). I actually got an elective credit in university on the history of hockey.

Not gonna lie, I’m wondering how many cop cars are gonna get flipped and burned during the finals.

The Maroons were the french team, and the Canadiens were the English team. Of course, that was before the original six. That was in the days of the original "one"... ;). I actually got an elective credit in university on the history of hockey.
Actually it was the other way around. The Maroons were the English team and the Canadiens were the French team. As a kid my Dad used to go and watch games at the Forum for $0.25 standing room tickets.

Interestingly during his final months when his memory was failing he couldn't remember a conversation from the day before but could tell us stories about his favourite Maroons and Habs players from his childhood.

They already got one on Thursday.
My bad, like I said just trolling Canucks fans. Though if the refs turn on the Habs (a la 1955) who knows what will happen.

Actually it was the other way around. The Maroons were the English team and the Canadiens were the French team. As a kid my Dad used to go and watch games at the Forum for $0.25 standing room tickets.
You're right! I got it backward. I'm getting my "facts" demolished on this thread. Better retreat while I can! :LOL:

Back