• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Canadian tourism sustains Cuba's army and one-party state

By any conceivable metric, China is worse than Cuba.

Yet not a soul would call for a China embargo.

Hypocrisy at its best.
It’s called “real politik” in other words getting along with others despite the differences.

Don’t buy anything made in China if you feel that way.

It’s called “real politik” in other words getting along with others despite the differences.

Don’t buy anything made in China if you feel that way.
I will continue to buy things from China. Also known as shopping at Walmart

I don't vacation in Cuba, I like Mexico and Dominican more, better food and better beaches, but I wont begrudge anyone who does.

I remember in the 90’s watching a newscast on CNN. The anchor was talking about how the US Trade Department granted most favoured trading status to China and that it was hoped that opening trade would beckon political liberalization as well.

Then without skipping a beat and with a straight face, the anchor announced that the US would continue trade sanctionsbecause it was a repressive communist regime.

All I could think of in that moment was Tianamin Square and how someone was having a serious case of cognitive dissonance.

I have always found the idea of vacationing in Cuba uncomfortable. Mexico and other places have their problems, but don’t strike me as repressive as Cuba.

As for boycotting Chinese made goods…I try when I can but I recognize it is almost impossible to find something that is affordable that wasn’t made there. At least if I stick with non-Chinese companies (Apple/Samsung vs. Huawei) I know the profits will go outside China.

Anyone know where I can find a list of companies that use slave Uyghur labour?

I remember in the 90’s watching a newscast on CNN. The anchor was talking about how the US Trade Department granted most favoured trading status to China and that it was hoped that opening trade would beckon political liberalization as well.

Then without skipping a beat and with a straight face, the anchor announced that the US would continue trade sanctionsbecause it was a repressive communist regime.

All I could think of in that moment was Tianamin Square and how someone was having a serious case of cognitive dissonance.

I have always found the idea of vacationing in Cuba uncomfortable. Mexico and other places have their problems, but don’t strike me as repressive as Cuba.

As for boycotting Chinese made goods…I try when I can but I recognize it is almost impossible to find something that is affordable that wasn’t made there. At least if I stick with non-Chinese companies (Apple/Samsung vs. Huawei) I know the profits will go outside China.

They're being exterminated, or worked to death through manual labour. A good dictator wouldn't want people like that in their factories (see where the term 'sabotage' came from):

China has been accused of committing crimes against humanity and possibly genocide against the Uyghur population and other mostly-Muslim ethnic groups in the north-western region of Xinjiang.

Human rights groups believe China has detained more than one million Uyghurs against their will over the past few years in a large network of what the state calls "re-education camps", and sentenced hundreds of thousands to prison terms.

There is also evidence that Uyghurs are being used as forced labour and of women being forcibly sterilised. Some former camp detainees have also alleged they were tortured and sexually abused.

The US is among several countries to have accused China of committing genocide in Xinjiang. The leading human rights groups Amnesty and Human Rights Watch have published reports accusing China of crimes against humanity.

...As for boycotting Chinese made goods…I try when I can but I recognize it is almost impossible to find something that is affordable that wasn’t made there. At least if I stick with non-Chinese companies (Apple/Samsung vs. Huawei) I know the profits will go outside China.

Apple suppliers (eg. Lens Technology).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/12/29/lens-technology-apple-uighur

What a show like dragons den, every time a Canadian entrepreneur with Canadian workers and a made in Canada label comes on, one of the dragons immediately suggest setting up shop in China. And nobody goes to these shops to see how they are run. They just send the specifications of what they want, set up the supply chain and pick it up when it comes into port.

Just assume everything from China has blood on its hands.

Nothing short of a economic embargo at the federal level will change the calculus on this. And who is willing to accept tens of billions in disrupted trade?

Nobody. Because money. But because Cuba has no large amount of money tied to it, easy target.

What a show like dragons den, every time a Canadian entrepreneur with Canadian workers and a made in Canada label comes on, one of the dragons immediately suggest setting up shop in China. And nobody goes to these shops to see how they are run. They just send the specifications of what they want, set up the supply chain and pick it up when it comes into port.

Just assume everything from China has blood on its hands.

Nothing short of a economic embargo at the federal level will change the calculus on this. And who is willing to accept tens of billions in disrupted trade?

Nobody. Because money. But because Cuba has no large amount of money tied to it, easy target.
Money talks louder than ethics does it not?

Back