• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NS Get Majority Con Gov

Dynamic leader, somewhat successful covid response and the NS Libs lose the election.
Will there be doubt creeping into the star chamber that is the PMO?

We can only hope FTSO.

I'm not up on NS prov politics but how "right" is the NS PC party? Is it more centre?
Classic PC red tories, not renamed Reform/Alliance.

Apparently not much polling during the election, last polls were 2-3 weeks old.

But, still- that has got to have the LPC “brain trust“ in Ottawa suddenly wondering…
I certainly hope JT and his band of ne'er do wells lose sleep over this.

As for the victory maybe its a case of the national party missteps bleeding into provincial politics.

Polls are commissioned by people that are looking for favorable outcomes. They pay big bucks for those answers. You won't get a lot of return business by disappointing your customer with facts they don't like. The only poll that counts is the one on election day. The rest are useless clag.

The point isn't the political leanings of the NS electorate, the point is that this may be a bellwether election indicating that voters are looking for a change after the pandemic.

...or it may not be. Interesting all the same.

The point isn't the political leanings of the NS electorate, the point is that this may be a bellwether election indicating that voters are looking for a change after the pandemic.

...or it may not be. Interesting all the same.
Or that the PCs in NS went to the center. Left of actually. The federal CPC should take note. The leader in NS distanced himself from Otoole and the CPC.

Or that the PCs in NS went to the center. Left of actually. The federal CPC should take note. The leader in NS distanced himself from Otoole and the CPC.
Look at the Federal Conservative platform. It is about as centre left as it has ever been.

I am not at all suggesting that the NS election is a bellweather for all of Canada. It is just interesting in that the incumbents were not returned, like the previous 18 month’s worth of provincial elections.

It could be that incumbents (regardless of political stripe- NDP in BC, Conservatives in Alberta and Ontario and the Liberals federally) could all be in danger. Voters might just be hungry for change.

I wonder if we won’t see more provincial conservative parties adopt the same tactics. Houston went as far as saying he was a red Tory, not a member of the federal conservatives and emphasizing the progressive part of the party name. Distance themselves or even sever ties to the federal brand.

I wonder if we won’t see more provincial conservative parties adopt the same tactics. Houston went as far as saying he was a red Tory, not a member of the federal conservatives and emphasizing the progressive part of the party name. Distance themselves or even sever ties to the federal brand.
Smart move on his part. Repudiate any element of the hard right, socon agenda, for which the great majority of Canadian have no interest whatsoever.

That worked for a while for the BC Liberals (some candidates referred to themselves as “purple Tories”). They severed ties with the federal party in 1987, before the Socreds imploded. They ignored touchy social issues and focused on economic policy which worked for them for a while, until people realized that they were crony capitalists and not true free enterprisers.

Back