• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDVs)

Was in a briefing about the Kingston Class and its retention past design life. So in a nutshell ABS ( American Bureau of Shipping) did a cost analysis and survey of the Kingston Class as they have reached their design life end and determined they can go another 15 years. Currently all Kingston Class have been extended 5 years past their 25 years. In the next few years the decision will be made to extend for the another 10 years or not.

Quite a bit of money is being targeted on obsolescence items, new items being installed are new AC, new refrigeration, already had new degaussing, new steering and so forth. The feeling on the street that they will be extended with the eventual Kingston Class replacement being stood up and I saw the concept art of its replacement which is very interesting. In the grand scheme of things, the Kingston Classes maintenance budget is very small compared to say the Halifax Class. Some ships eventually may get paid off although its safe to say they will be around for some time to come.

The great thing about the Kingstons is that they are small enough to get into place the bigger ships cannot and do things the bigger ships cannot, but are not so small that they are restricted to coastal waters.

Friend of mine had his tug go out of control while towing a barge on the Fraser, turns out someone was leaning onto one of the steering toggles on the bridge wings.

would this 'new steering' alleviate the issues you and I faced with the thrusters suddenly, wildly and randomly operating on its own, spinning through all 360 degrees? Fun times...
Yes the cards were all replaced with PLC's (Programmable Logic Controller's), digital directional control valves and other updates. Some teething issues on software but the days of the dreaded "crazy Ivan " are over.

Was in a briefing about the Kingston Class and its retention past design life. So in a nutshell ABS ( American Bureau of Shipping) did a cost analysis and survey of the Kingston Class as they have reached their design life end and determined they can go another 15 years. Currently all Kingston Class have been extended 5 years past their 25 years. In the next few years the decision will be made to extend for the another 10 years or not.

Quite a bit of money is being targeted on obsolescence items, new items being installed are new AC, new refrigeration, already had new degaussing, new steering and so forth. The feeling on the street that they will be extended with the eventual Kingston Class replacement being stood up and I saw the concept art of its replacement which is very interesting. In the grand scheme of things, the Kingston Classes maintenance budget is very small compared to say the Halifax Class. Some ships eventually may get paid off although its safe to say they will be around for some time to come.
Genuine question, where are the sailors coming from?

We currently don't have enough to actually crew the existing fleet up to remar, with numbers trending downwards, and more ships coming, and that's without an MCDV replacement in the plan.

I don't know where the MCDV obsolescence money is coming from either, but none of that matters when we're out of martechs.

We currently don't have enough to actually crew the existing fleet up to remar, with numbers trending downwards, and more ships coming, and that's without an MCDV replacement in the plan.

I don't know where the MCDV obsolescence money is coming from either, but none of that matters when we're out of martechs.
1-pint-kings-shilling-pewter-tankard-with-glass-bottom-silver-fashion-accessory-830_250x.jpg

Hmmm I should start a Martech training program in Navy League, plus the kids will fit into the tight spots better. "Here son, 3 full size chocolate bar once you finished cleaning out the inside of the boiler....."

would this 'new steering' alleviate the issues you and I faced with the thrusters suddenly, wildly and randomly operating on its own, spinning through all 360 degrees? Fun times...
Now that sounds like a fun ride at Disney!! Market that idea.....

You very well may see an op pause or reduction at some point and some ships designated force generators as the fleet is reaching burnout. AOPV can go to sea with 44 crew and the Kingston class with 35 and as low as 16 for day running.

Money for the Kingston Class is coming from the same pot of money as the Halifax Class I believe. Its just that the Kingston Class is not rusted out. In the grand scheme of things the amount of money spent on the Kingston Class is a mere pittance compared to the money spent on the CPF's.

Last edited:
I was chatting with a chief on Thursday and the MARTECH trade issues came up. This is just watercooler talk, but it appears that the RCN will commence walking back the changes they made to the engineering world. I'm concerned that it may be too late and there will be a long time of pain until the trade gets out of the ICU.

It won't help. Literally closing the barn after the horses have fled. The trade restructure is not the reason people are leaving or not joining. It's easy to point to it but skill trades everywhere are hurting. Not just the navy.

Between the "classism" of going to university vice trade school and a shrinking working demographic, there is going to be a pain for everyone.

Not really the thread for it but when do we ever follow threads properly. This whole website is half stream of consciousness... which is why I love it!

Back to MCDV replacement, what do y'all think should be the requirements? Now we know somewhat what the AOPS can do, are we thinking that remote minehunting can be done from them? Given increased speed is on the table perhaps a proper fast patrol boat is on the table?

Last edited:
Back to MCDV replacement, what do y'all think should be the requirements? Now we know somewhat what the AOPS can do, are we thinking that remote minehunting can be done from them? Given increased speed is on the table perhaps a proper fast patrol boat is on the table?
Personally I'd be in favour of an ASW Corvette to complement the CSCs. Ideally with the facilities to at least land and rearm/refuel the Cyclone (I don't have any real hope that we'll expand our MH fleet enough to actually have an air detachment on them) plus their own UAVs. Anti-surface missiles plus AD missiles for both self-defence and that can be directed by our CSC's for area defence.

An OPV however is the more likely outcome unfortunately.

It won't help. Literally closing the barn after the horses have fled. The trade restructure is not the reason people are leaving or not joining. It's easy to point to it but skill trades everywhere are hurting. Not just the navy.

Between the "classism" of going to university vice trade school and a shrinking working demographic, there is going to be a pain for everyone.

Not really the thread for it but when do we ever follow threads properly. This whole website is half stream of consciousness... which is why I love it!

'Littoral' seems a popular term these days. Maybe we should try to keep up with the Joneses down south :)

The littoral combat ship (LCS) is a set of two classes of relatively small surface vessels designed for operations near shore by the United States Navy. It was "envisioned to be a networked, agile, stealthy surface combatant capable of defeating anti-access and asymmetric threats in the littorals."[1] Littoral combat ships are comparable to the corvettes found in other navies.[2][3]

'Littoral' seems a popular term these days. Maybe we should try to keep up with the Joneses down south :)

The littoral combat ship (LCS) is a set of two classes of relatively small surface vessels designed for operations near shore by the United States Navy. It was "envisioned to be a networked, agile, stealthy surface combatant capable of defeating anti-access and asymmetric threats in the littorals."[1] Littoral combat ships are comparable to the corvettes found in other navies.[2][3]

Good heavens no!!!!!!!!

They are called Little Crappy Ships for a reason.

Back