• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bow Hunting Vs Rifle Hunting

RichardJCross

Inactive
Reaction score
I am new to the hunting. I want to know from bow & rifle , which one is good for deer hunting? Which one is more accurate & easy to use.

That's like comparing apples to fire trucks.

They are both excellent choices.

The key is to become proficient and skilled in either or both choices so you can make ethical kills.

That's like comparing apples to fire trucks.

They are both excellent choices.

The key is to become proficient and skilled in either or both choices so you can make ethical kills.

^^^^ This.

"New to hunting" meaning you have completed your HSC, or not? Because much of your question is covered in that course.

Methods, and skills for both are vastly different. Also, very few hunters start out successfully on big game. PM me if you would like to discuss.

Find people who are skilled in the different hunting methods and tag along with them to learn. You can "dry" hunt with a camera, to practice your stalking methods which will be critical for Bow Hunting. Bows and hunting arrows is not much of a cost saving over rifles. There is also no way to get a great, cheap scope, unless someone gives you a good scope.

There is also no need for a scope to hunt, that is just one of those modern adaptions most have chosen to use.

First you need to choose what you wish to hunt. That is going to determine what equipment you are going to need. Small game like birds you are going to want either a .22 rifle, 20 gauge shotgun, or 12 gauge shotgun. Larger game you are going to want a full power rifle of some sort, this doesn't have to be too expensive. A sporterized P14 or Lee Enfield usually runs 200-400$ tops and can take any game on the continent with iron sights. You just have to be capable of using iron sights. Sometimes these rifles also can come with scopes mounted on them too.

As to bows, I don't really know other than there is different draw weights which is a consideration depending on what you want to hunt. You will also realistically need to practice significantly more with a bow than you would with a rifle as it is more instinctive than point and shoot. There is a reason rifles and shotguns overtook bow and arrow for hunting and it is mainly ease of usage.

There's a reason muskets replaced long bows. While shooting is a skill, you can become pretty proficient with a few days of instruction and practice. Archery is a skill that you can spend a lifetime practicing, and never be great at.

There's a reason muskets replaced long bows. While shooting is a skill, you can become pretty proficient with a few days of instruction and practice. Archery is a skill that you can spend a lifetime practicing, and never be great at.

But archery affords a much longer season, and different opportunities.

Modern Compound bows and crossbows also are incredibly accurate compared to their predecessors.

But archery affords a much longer season, and different opportunities.

Modern Compound bows and crossbows also are incredibly accurate compared to their predecessors.
I don't know where you live, but here in Alberta you can not use a crossbow in bow season, rifle season only. And a longer season won't make you a better archer. Yes the bows are accurate, I've got a house full of them, compound, recurve and self bows, but what's behind the string matters too. If I was going out with the purpose of knocking down tonight's supper, I'd take my .270.

If you plan on using a tree stand, keep in mind that a bow needs a lot of room. We had a guy bring out a crossbow and even that was impractical in a closed-in stand.

Ontario.

Crossbows are legal for the full extent of bow season Oct 1 - Dec 31.
You can bait deer here, apparently one of the few places that’s allowed. It’s really more harvesting than hunting.

In NS using a Bow or Muzzleloader you can hunt from Sept to Dec.

Hunting over bait is also legal in NS. But some what controversial in the community.

"Baiting" is a loaded term. Out here you can't just buy a bag of cracked corn at the UFA and toss it out in the bush come October. But, you can lay down feed in a certain spot under your preferred tree all year round. One is "baiting", the other is "feeding".

"Baiting" is a loaded term. Out here you can't just buy a bag of cracked corn at the UFA and toss it out in the bush come October. But, you can lay down feed in a certain spot under your preferred tree all year round. One is "baiting", the other is "feeding".
In Ontario you can put out bags of candied corn and apples right in front of year tree stand in the middle of hunting season.

In Ontario you can put out bags of candied corn and apples right in front of year tree stand in the middle of hunting season.
Amendment to my last as I just had a quick re-read. Apparently baiting in any form is illegal here in Alberta. Guys still do it, it's just illegal. Only exception is black bear, apparently

Amendment to my last as I just had a quick re-read. Apparently baiting in any form is illegal here in Alberta. Guys still do it, it's just illegal. Only exception is black bear, apparently
I’m pretty sure it’s illegal in most places, I was confused when I first moved here, looked it up and it’s legit. 🤷‍♂️

I’m pretty sure it’s illegal in most places, I was confused when I first moved here, looked it up and it’s legit. 🤷‍♂️

Its a very polarizing topic in the hunting community. I have sat over bait piles and I have stalked. I will say baiting is waaaaaaay more productive. But stalking is more fun.

My final comment on it is, I put bait on my hook when I fish...

Back