• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Saying hi

AbdullahD

Inactive
Reaction score
Had to log in to post ^^ Lurking keeps me out of trouble.

But any rate ignoring, politics, drama and BS (your guys' discussion on truckers, covid, o'toole/pierre and trudeau are... enlightening). I hope yall are doing okay.

I haven't won the lottery yet, so I'm still bumping along with the RR. Mind you, I am taking the month of July off for vacation, feeling blessed for that. Hopefully splashing the boat on the 8th for two weeks (it is amazing how much that boat keeps me sane and broke? Lol). Crikey I've got the whole kit and kaboodle now, we picked up a blue heeler pup in Dec for my son's birthday.. (yea, I know.. really, I do >.<)

Hopefully the world manages to screw its head back on straight, soon.. if the last two years were any indicator, it is likely a good thing I went to the railroad.. cause I'm not sure I would have passed bmq 🤣🤣

Any rate just wanted to say boo, in a no drama thread lol so what's new?
Abdullah

P.s I'll upload a picture of the pup, sitting outside the door of her favorite lil'boy lol (my son named her silver)

Attachments

• 20220115_193645.jpg
    20220115_193645.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
Cheers Abdullah. Wow, he really is blue, isn’t he!

Glad things are working out with the RR. Any updates on the boat?

Cheers
G2G

Abdullah,

Thank you for your service on the railroad. Wishing you and your family a healthy & prosperous 2022!

Cheers.

Well, we all know what B.O.A.T means hahaha

We bought a used watermaker that was a dud, I accidentally finished wrecking a used 4hp tohatsu we had bought, the fuel pump leaks, the perkins still drinks oil like it is going out of style... but!

We all love her, my wife and I passed the day skippers course last summer. I can get the wife to approve anything I want while we are on vacation on her... but then she wisens up when we get home haha. We have to redo the paint job we had done due to the incident, they sprayed the paint with an oil or something and it is peeling off the primer.. so she looks ugly right now.

Inside though, we have basically rebuilt the head, serviced the water tanks, installed an inverter, new running rigging (and cool story there, the retailer actually gave us better quality lines by accident.. so we are stoked.) I learnt how to service the winches last summer (easy as pie to be honest). We have a 75# or well just shy of 75# anchor on her and man does it hold :). We are constantly building confidence with her and have great big ambitions (which actually led me to a realization a big part of why I wanted to join the armed forces, was to join the navy and sail the world... now well I have a sailboat soooo..... Hopefully we don't quit at Panama or French Polynesia haha)

Any rate how about you g2golf? Life treating you well?

I haven't won the lottery yet, so I'm still bumping along with the RR.

Good for you, Abdullah. How do you like it?

My father was a VIA Rail locomotive engineer.

Is that something you are considering?

Apparently VIA Rail has a hiring program for CAF veterans as Locomotive Engineer Apprentice.

Abdullah, don’t worry about the good ‘ole Perkins. When it stops drinking oil, then you need to be worried! 😆 Glad you have stumbled upon a Domedtic-9er approval process that works! 👍🏼

Life is good for me and our family, healthy and all. Doing a good job avoiding full retirement by doing some gig consulting for a friend. Putting some sweat equity into the house finishing the basement, now that wood prices have somewhat stabilized(-ish).

I have a long-term dream to get a money-trap….err, I mean boat, something more like a trawler type that can do some aboard living/camping down the ottawa river/canal/St.Lawrence/Richelieu rivers…but not quite yet…I’ll have to tick ‘Finish basement’ off the list first. 😉

Glad to hear you are well, sounds like you are having a fun adventure with the boat. Get it though, nothing like being out on the water for putting things in perspective.

I'm less courageous but fell in love with river kayaking last summer. Spend enough time at work worrying about pumps, leaks and fires, so like the simplicity of just me and a paddle (and hopefully no leaks!).

Glad to hear you are well, sounds like you are having a fun adventure with the boat. Get it though, nothing like being out on the water for putting things in perspective.

I'm less courageous but fell in love with river kayaking last summer. Spend enough time at work worrying about pumps, leaks and fires, so like the simplicity of just me and a paddle (and hopefully no leaks!).
A trip or two down the wrong line in some rapids on the Ottawa River made me long for a pump…

I kid. Whitewater Kayaking is about the most fun I have ever had. I used to spend a part of nearly everyday between Apr-Nov in a boat on a River. It was glorious.

A trip or two down the wrong line in some rapids on the Ottawa River made me long for a pump…

I kid. Whitewater Kayaking is about the most fun I have ever had. I used to spend a part of nearly everyday between Apr-Nov in a boat on a River. It was glorious.
1645380727958.gif

Good for you, Abdullah. How do you like it?

My father was a VIA Rail locomotive engineer.

Is that something you are considering?

Apparently VIA Rail has a hiring program for CAF veterans as Locomotive Engineer Apprentice.

CN just lost a few guys from this terminal going to VIA, huge perk with them is the schedule... so it is always an option (but I am not a Locomotive engineer yet, likely soon though lol).

Abdullah, don’t worry about the good ‘ole Perkins. When it stops drinking oil, then you need to be worried! 😆 Glad you have stumbled upon a Domedtic-9er approval process that works! 👍🏼

Life is good for me and our family, healthy and all. Doing a good job avoiding full retirement by doing some gig consulting for a friend. Putting some sweat equity into the house finishing the basement, now that wood prices have somewhat stabilized(-ish).

I have a long-term dream to get a money-trap….err, I mean boat, something more like a trawler type that can do some aboard living/camping down the ottawa river/canal/St.Lawrence/Richelieu rivers…but not quite yet…I’ll have to tick ‘Finish basement’ off the list first. 😉
🤣🤣 I'll keep that in mind and we'll be tied to the docks, I have a honey-do list that is still a little to long to sever ties with land in any serious way haha.

@Navy_Pete my dad is addicted to kayaking, I just have been bit by the sail bug. But a kayak is awesome, I'm trying to talk the wife into us getting surfboards, so one year we want to do surfing lessons on the island haha. But a kayak may be more realistic and peaceful lol

CN just lost a few guys from this terminal going to VIA, huge perk with them is the schedule... so it is always an option (but I am not a Locomotive engineer yet, likely soon though lol).

I envy you, Abdullah.

I'd love to try that; still recovering from long COVID so sticking to putting around in 10' on normal rivers/lakes, which is a lot more fun than a canoe. When I get that sorted a bit better and can exercise properly to get re-conditioned definitely on the list of things to do.

@AbdullahD, sailing is definitely it's own special thing, absolutely loved the time I've spent on sailboats, and stacking out on the pontoon of a catamaran moving at a good clip on a sunny day is probably one of my favourite memories. I do like how portable kayaks are though, and cool to have the option of just chucking it on the roof rack and going somewhere for a paddle. Sailing down the coastline would be pretty awesome though.

I'd love to try that; still recovering from long COVID so sticking to putting around in 10' on normal rivers/lakes, which is a lot more fun than a canoe. When I get that sorted a bit better and can exercise properly to get re-conditioned definitely on the list of things to do.

@AbdullahD, sailing is definitely it's own special thing, absolutely loved the time I've spent on sailboats, and stacking out on the pontoon of a catamaran moving at a good clip on a sunny day is probably one of my favourite memories. I do like how portable kayaks are though, and cool to have the option of just chucking it on the roof rack and going somewhere for a paddle. Sailing down the coastline would be pretty awesome though.
I don’t know where in the country you are located, Pete, but spend the money and take lessons from your local kayak school/club. Waaaay less frustrating and waaaay safer!

I sure hope so, Abdullah!

VIA Rail Locomotive Engineers earn $66.77 per hour.

I have a young relative soon to graduate high school. It is a career path I plan to discuss with him.

🤣🤣 I'll keep that in mind and we'll be tied to the docks, I have a honey-do list that is still a little to long to sever ties with land in any serious way haha.

@Navy_Pete my dad is addicted to kayaking, I just have been bit by the sail bug. But a kayak is awesome, I'm trying to talk the wife into us getting surfboards, so one year we want to do surfing lessons on the island haha. But a kayak may be more realistic and peaceful lol
If you win the Lottery

@mariomike if you or him, have any questions, message me boss. I can help him with pros and cons of transportation vs engineering vs mechanical, or via vs cp vs cn... it is a career path I feel many can benefit from (same as I view military service, kids generally benefit from it).

A lot of difference in pay between road Terminals and yard Terminals, engineering and transportation or heck even cn vs cp vs via. All have pros and all have cons. But if he is seriously considering it I would be more then honored to answer any questions mate (just remember when I first showed up here as a broke cabby, barely feeding my family and now.. I have a house, a boat and a dog 🤣)

Abdullah

P.s @Colin Parkinson guess I have to buy a ticket 🤣🤣

@mariomike if you or him, have any questions, message me boss. I can help him with pros and cons of transportation vs engineering vs mechanical, or via vs cp vs cn... it is a career path I feel many can benefit from (same as I view military service, kids generally benefit from it).

A lot of difference in pay between road Terminals and yard Terminals, engineering and transportation or heck even cn vs cp vs via. All have pros and all have cons. But if he is seriously considering it I would be more then honored to answer any questions mate (just remember when I first showed up here as a broke cabby, barely feeding my family and now.. I have a house, a boat and a dog 🤣)

Abdullah

Thanks, Abdullah. The kid is pretty mercenary.

The Job Call says, "VIA Rail Locomotive Engineers earn $66.77 per hour."

Any idea how much they can make a year with overnight hotel lay-overs ( eg: Toronto < - > Montreal ) ?

Back