• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Royal Navy reintroduced black hats for submariners 6 months ago. This is the first time black hat covers have been worn for over 50 years.

I was referencing recent dress committee points where the Army was having a tantrum about the RCAF rolling up sleeves and the RCN wearing ball caps in NCDs.
Gotcha...and yeah I can see them doing that...nobody to shoot anymore, and no ammo to do it with anyway, so they have to think of something to keep SNCO's/WO's frothing at the mouth until the next war.

Gotcha...and yeah I can see them doing that...nobody to shoot anymore, and no ammo to do it with anyway, so they have to think of something to keep SNCO's/WO's frothing at the mouth until the next war.

This is where I share a photo showing three people, two of whom are wearing illegal headdress ... and a 10 year old boy wearing a helmet.

1646536143074.png

This is where I share a photo showing three people, two of whom are wearing illegal headdress ... and a 10 year old boy wearing a helmet.

View attachment 69229

What's wrong with the tuque?

What's wrong with the tuque?

Dude, your Air Force is showing ... ;)

Conan Obrien Ugh GIF by Team Coco

View attachment 69229

surprised oh my GIF

By the looks of it it's only the Army who gets in tizzy about what the other services do with uniforms.
Yet CA dudes would execute snatch-n-grabs to get the original RCAF CADPAT/ICE raincoats (which had nice fleece-lined pockets). I would deliberately drop the reflective tapes fore and aft just to irk CA guys…it was CC:world xmsn that I had nice fleece-lined pockets…and that I had a completely different set of (practical) operational clothing regs, that couldn’t give a rats behind about the glove-toque space continuum. 😆

If you will pardon some drift as we discuss operational clothing......

When I was in the Navy, we started in the horrid green 'work dress' then migrated to dark trousers and a blue shirt. Better, but still horrible. I was in the ship's engineering department and that clothing was entirely inappropriate for the conditions and hazards.

If you see pictures of oil and gas workers, they almost all wear fire-resistant coveralls with high-visibility trim. That is (generally) appropriate for their working conditions and the hazards they face which are not substantially different from a ship's engineering spaces. Has the Navy improved shipboard clothing to provide more appropriate clothing for those working with fuel, lubricants, engines, fire hazards, potential blackouts, etc.?

Has the Navy improved shipboard clothing to provide more appropriate clothing for those working with fuel, lubricants, engines, fire hazards, potential blackouts, etc.?
The French and Australian navies have hi-vis on their operational clothing for just that. Why we didn't follow suit when the new NCDs were created, or have a trade badge on them, is beyond me.

1646676035385.png

1646676072517.png

Thank you.

PS: Since leaving the Navy, I have worked for a number of large engineering and construction companies. I have spent time at oil & gas facilities, underground mines, construction sites, etc. Having the appropriate clothing (which is a sub-set of PPE) is part of the requirements for being on site. I am surprised (sort of) that the Navy continues to lag in appropriate clothing for the hazards. High-vis is worn by just about every worker everywhere (trash collectors, truck drivers, Amazon delivery guys, construction workers, mail carriers, etc.). It seems odd from my perspective that it is NOT part of shipboard clothing for some trades.

Thank you.

PS: Since leaving the Navy, I have worked for a number of large engineering and construction companies. I have spent time at oil & gas facilities, underground mines, construction sites, etc. Having the appropriate clothing (which is a sub-set of PPE) is part of the requirements for being on site. I am surprised (sort of) that the Navy continues to lag in appropriate clothing for the hazards. High-vis is worn by just about every worker everywhere (trash collectors, truck drivers, Amazon delivery guys, construction workers, mail carriers, etc.). It seems odd from my perspective that it is NOT part of shipboard clothing for some trades.

There was a discussion about this a few months ago. Looks like "fashion" won.

CPO1 Parent recommended the reflective tape for our NCD's and was shot down. For the reason of it not then being suitable for walking out dress.

Thank you.

The current NCDs use Nomex that calls up a standard which exceeds the oil and gas coverall requirments and passed a full flash fire exposure (even an old pair of used ones that had been sent for disposal after POL exposure did fine).

The new outerwear has the fold down high-vis tape, which is great. Not sure why it's not on the new NCDs, when they have all kinds of garish morale patches and other foolishness all over them, making you look like you got mugged by a gang of sticker clowns. All the exposed velcro on them really makes me question what safety standard they meet (unless they used FR velcro?).

Same navy that wants us to wear plastic belts on FR clothing though; I hard noped that one and carried around a copy of the dress manual allowing black leather belts after seeing some photos of post-fire injuries from synthetic material clothing melting to people.

Weird I've always worn a black leather belt in NCDs and I've never been questioned

I just LOVE this picture. Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 16.21.54.png
The guy has a camouflage uniform because ... because he needs to hide on the ship? From what, from who, FFS? From the cox'n? But he also needs HiVis tape so he will be seen. It makes perfect military sense.

Did I also mention that I love this whole thread. It reminds me so much of why I am so glad to have been retired for years.

I was serving when (1980/81) the Army (then Mobile Command) did actual trials to determine which cam pattern was best ~ it turned out that not too new (slightly faded) olive drab combat clothing won, hands down, inn every single test. But, huge BUT, that got us "Garrison Dress" ...
Unknown.jpeg
... because the Commander of the day explained that the soldiers really wanted disruptive pattern uniforms because the Americans had them. I kid you not. I was in the room when LGen Charlie Belzile explained that to a large group of officers.

I was also in the room when we went to "distinctive environmental uniforms" ~ Coates of Many Colours, we called the project, after the MND of the day. I well remember the direction ~ from the Clothing and Dress Committee ~ that the quality of the new uniforms was not to be be any higher than that of the existing "CG greens." Once again, I kid you not.

Have I mentioned how much I love this thread? Keep the comments coming', guys, it's good for my morale.

I just LOVE this picture. View attachment 69280
The guy has a camouflage uniform because ... because he needs to hide on the ship? From what, from who, FFS? From the cox'n? But he also needs HiVis tape so he will be seen. It makes perfect military sense.

Did I also mention that I love this whole thread. It reminds me so much of why I am so glad to have been retired for years.

I was serving when (1980/81) the Army (then Mobile Command) did actual trials to determine which cam pattern was best ~ it turned out that not too new (slightly faded) olive drab combat clothing won, hands down, inn every single test. But, huge BUT, that got us "Garrison Dress" ...
View attachment 69281
... because the Commander of the day explained that the soldiers really wanted disruptive pattern uniforms because the Americans had them. I kid you not. I was in the room when LGen Charlie Belzile explained that to a large group of officers.

I was also in the room when we went to "distinctive environmental uniforms" ~ Coates of Many Colours, we called the project, after the MND of the day. I well remember the direction ~ from the Clothing and Dress Committee ~ that the quality of the new uniforms was not to be be any higher than that of the existing "CG greens." Once again, I kid you not.

Have I mentioned how much I love this thread? Keep the comments coming', guys, it's good for my morale.

They could have done so much better when they returned to distinctive uniforms.

Same navy that wants us to wear plastic belts on FR clothing though; I hard noped that one and carried around a copy of the dress manual allowing black leather belts after seeing some photos of post-fire injuries from synthetic material clothing melting to people.
Also, the 2-piece RCAF flight suit needs a belt because the shirt is tucked in.

They have never issued or authorized any other belt other than the green (now brown) nylon cargo strap. On an FR uniform.

Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

I think navy camo is to hide soup stains…? 🤷‍♂️
I guess they just wanted to level up their 'man overboard' challenge. Also, it has green on it?

@dimsum really wish there was a 'facepalm' and 'double facepalm' reaction. Strange, especially with how seriously all things flight safety are taken.

Maybe the awesome leather jacket is supposed to be a protective outer layer? Combined with the mirror shades and you will be too cool for any flame to touch, and on your way to the beach volleyball court in no time!

Back