• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Global Affairs first needs to articulates a national WoG strategy and decide where our areas of interest lie and how we’ll defend those interests. Only then can a military strategy can be devised. Anything else is really just guess work.
You they can do that in the next…6 months🤓?

The government has also put in a strategic program review. Looking for $1B in 24/25, $2B in 25/26, and $3B recurring after that. (Budget chapter 9).

Not all from DND, (obviously), but it's good news that there is an intent to reduce spending.
I could find him at least $1B right now and the end to some expensive court challenges, too. #scrapthegunban

The truth -

lay out the timeline/costs of obtaining used Aussie F-18s and how many are usable today.

And the fact we were originally going to buy brand new Super Hornets, but that was cancelled out of spite after Boeing made a complaint against Bombardier for selling jets below cost, which is what lead to the used Hornet purchase in the first place.

Global Affairs first needs to articulates a national WoG strategy and decide where our areas of interest lie and how we’ll defend those interests. Only then can a military strategy can be devised. Anything else is really just guess work.

If there is hope to be had I still find it in this January announcement - 6 weeks before the Russians went into Ukraine. We are now 6 weeks past that.

To be fair to those office holders it will take a lot longer than 12 weeks to reorg Global Affairs, National Defence, Procurement, Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness. All necessary before we can start contemplating spending new money wisely. I am also hopeful that Anand and Freeland can stay focused.

I guess we should wait another year and see what happens.

If there is hope to be had I still find it in this January announcement - 6 weeks before the Russians went into Ukraine. We are now 6 weeks past that.

To be fair to those office holders it will take a lot longer than 12 weeks to reorg Global Affairs, National Defence, Procurement, Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness. All necessary before we can start contemplating spending new money wisely. I am also hopeful that Anand and Freeland can stay focused.

I guess we should wait another year and see what happens.
Gotta remember the whole CA is in a reconstitution phase as we implement Force 2025, now is the best possible time for us to get procurement fixed as well so that F2025 can be implemented smoothly regarding identified gaps in kit.

Gotta remember the whole CA is in a reconstitution phase as we implement Force 2025, now is the best possible time for us to get procurement fixed as well so that F2025 can be implemented smoothly regarding identified gaps in kit.

I can see the time imperative but the problem is decades in the making. New people in new seats with a war intervening are not going to generate credible fixes in 12 weeks.

I can see the time imperative but the problem is decades in the making. New people in new seats with a war intervening are not going to generate credible fixes in 12 weeks.
Because these is still a lack of political will to do something rather then give the appearance of doing something

Another (local) area of interest for the CAF and the GoC/GAC.

Opportunity to exploit the Kingston Jamaica Operational Support Hub.

So the feeling there is with inflation this has been a negligible increase. In this thread it was said inflation is built into the budget.

I detest the unclear way the Canadian government throws numbers around. What does it REALLY mean shouldn’t be so hard to see
It’s their modus operandi - keep us like mushrooms.

So the feeling there is with inflation this has been a negligible increase. In this thread it was said inflation is built into the budget.

I detest the unclear way the Canadian government throws numbers around. What does it REALLY mean shouldn’t be so hard to see
There is extant inflation built into GoC funding models. There is real growth in this budget - not to 2%, but growth just the same .

Besides, the cynic on me notes that spending increase announcements can be too politically advantageous to waste in a budget, far better to spread them out over time.

Another (local) area of interest for the CAF and the GoC/GAC.

Opportunity to exploit the Kingston Jamaica Operational Support Hub.

If we cared to be an actual Middle Power (TM), we should work extensively in the Caribbean. It's much easier to for us to get to, and we've had strong ties to the Caribbean since before Confederation, as well as the large communities here comprising of Caribbeans. If the Dutch have the capability, so could we.

Lease a section for free to the UN, expand base Op Carib and Projection out of there, continue to work with the JDF and anyone else in the area.

Not to mention the posting opportunities...:cool:

I had to check the date of the article. Didn't the govt hint that there would be an upcoming defence policy review a couple of days prior to the budget?

I could be completely imagining it though.

If we cared to be an actual Middle Power (TM), we should work extensively in the Caribbean. It's much easier to for us to get to, and we've had strong ties to the Caribbean since before Confederation, as well as the large communities here comprising of Caribbeans. If the Dutch have the capability, so could we.

Lease a section for free to the UN, expand base Op Carib and Projection out of there, continue to work with the JDF and anyone else in the area.

Not to mention the posting opportunities...:cool:
I said the same thing 10 years ago when everyone was salivating over the Pivot to the Pacific. Nobody liked it because it would mean acknowledging some uneasy truths about ourselves.

Canada has actual interests in the Caribbean, it would actually make sense to focus efforts there and in Central South America.

I said the same thing 10 years ago when everyone was salivating over the Pivot to the Pacific. Nobody liked it because it would mean acknowledging some uneasy truths about ourselves.

Canada has actual interests in the Caribbean, it would actually make sense to focus efforts there and in Central South America.

Agree.

Back