• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Opinion...request 3rd CFAT attempt or just go ahead

imanca822

Inactive
Reaction score
Looking for opinions. I wrote my CFAT last summer, with plans to apply to RMC. Unfortunately I was not very successful on my test (I struggle with math, and test taking in general). I tried again after 30 days, and unfortunately did even worse. I wasn't even close to qualifying for RMC, and no occupations in the Air Force, which was my desired area. I basically qualified for infantry, boatswain, and a few other occupations.

I've finished high school and the military has always been my career goal, so now I'm looking at the Navy. My first pick would be Naval Equipment Sensor Operator, but I would also be happy with Boatswain I think. I have been taking online math help and working in person with a tutor to improve my math, but I really want to just get going on my career.

Should I request a 3rd rewrite of the CFAT, in hopes of improving my score and qualifying for more jobs, or just go ahead with the results from my last test and apply for Boatswain? I keep thinking that I will regret not giving it one last shot, but I'm worried that I might just score worse and lose my chance at Boatswain!

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hello,

I am not sure if the CFRC has let you know but you are only allowed three attempts at the CFAT in your career, albeit a fourth is possible under exceptional circumstances and is authorized at a very high level. Granted, I retired from the military 5 years ago and things may have changed, but I was a Personnel Selection Officer for the last 10 years of my career and as a now Public Servant, still have my fingers in that pie. So I still believe three attempts is correct.

What this means is if you are hoping for any in-service selection programs in the future which require a higher CFAT score than you have now (e.g., voluntary occupational transfer, university training program), if you have expended three CFAT attempts, you would need to demonstrate exceptional circumstances for a fourth try.

Just some food for thought.

Cheers

Andraste

That decision is up to you, but I can tell you with almost complete certainty unless you have upgraded your math or education you will not do any better on the CFAT. You will do the same or worse.

If you are going to go down the road of a third CFAT you absolutely should take some math classes (assuming that is the hard part for you). When I was an MCC I wouldn't even write a waiver for a third test if you didn't do something to show you were serious about improving.

After that career decisions are up to you. Boatswains are certainly needed!

Good luck!

Looking for opinions. I wrote my CFAT last summer, with plans to apply to RMC. Unfortunately I was not very successful on my test (I struggle with math, and test taking in general). I tried again after 30 days, and unfortunately did even worse. I wasn't even close to qualifying for RMC, and no occupations in the Air Force, which was my desired area. I basically qualified for infantry, boatswain, and a few other occupations.

I've finished high school and the military has always been my career goal, so now I'm looking at the Navy. My first pick would be Naval Equipment Sensor Operator, but I would also be happy with Boatswain I think. I have been taking online math help and working in person with a tutor to improve my math, but I really want to just get going on my career.

Should I request a 3rd rewrite of the CFAT, in hopes of improving my score and qualifying for more jobs, or just go ahead with the results from my last test and apply for Boatswain? I keep thinking that I will regret not giving it one last shot, but I'm worried that I might just score worse and lose my chance at Boatswain!

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Go Boatswain, it's a great job! Guns, boats and all the traditional sailor stuff you think of!

And sharks, giant squid, and an obsession with soup.

What the boy needs is the infantry.
I only say Boatswain because you can get good jobs if you stick with it long enough and get a bunch of certifications that you can port over to the civvy maritime world.

Dream job if I were a Boatswain would be get Tender OIC cert then work my way on to Tugboats 😎 and drive one of those big Seaspan Rigs!

At the risk of being a bit of a downer, consider for a moment how occupation training, and subsequent employment will go if you are struggling to meet the entry requirements.

I would suggest joining in an occupation you qualify for, that also appeals to you. Over time upgrade your math, and if you still want to switch jobs attempt the CFAT again. You will likely find that CAF training, and maturity will alleviate some of the testing stress, which would also help with a third CFAT attempt.

A friend of mine, was told by his dad, get in the door, take what ever is offered and run with it. Because once you are in the door, you might shine above and beyond your peers and get noticed and some one sees something in you and you are running thru a new set of doors the next day. If you do not shine and get noticed, use the training programs offered to upgrade your education, and once you are done upgrading yourself, seek out a new trade or career path in the military.
My friend is now a CWO and is having an amazing career.

Just pretend you are a pirate.....got a cutlass and an eye patch? ARRRRRRRR
Both might be allowed with the new dress regs, and maybe a stuffed parrot If someone can claim they are a viking, why can't I claim Privateer?

The Ottawa river is no longer safe from the mildly aggravating Privateer NP! Now with a 7 knot top speed, and fitted for (but not with) a trained flock of attack Canada Geese.

Hello,

I am not sure if the CFRC has let you know but you are only allowed three attempts at the CFAT in your career, albeit a fourth is possible under exceptional circumstances and is authorized at a very high level. Granted, I retired from the military 5 years ago and things may have changed, but I was a Personnel Selection Officer for the last 10 years of my career and as a now Public Servant, still have my fingers in that pie. So I still believe three attempts is correct.

What this means is if you are hoping for any in-service selection programs in the future which require a higher CFAT score than you have now (e.g., voluntary occupational transfer, university training program), if you have expended three CFAT attempts, you would need to demonstrate exceptional circumstances for a fourth try.

Just some food for thought.

Cheers

Andraste

Hi, sorry to intrude on this conversation but I was wondering if you did fail all attempts on the Cfat does that mean you can never apply to the forces ever again? or do you have to wait a period of time and apply all over again. I’m about to write my Cfat in 5 days and I was just curious

Thank you for your time.

Hi, sorry to intrude on this conversation but I was wondering if you did fail all attempts on the Cfat does that mean you can never apply to the forces ever again? or do you have to wait a period of time and apply all over again. I’m about to write my Cfat in 5 days and I was just curious

Thank you for your time.
There's a specific policy outlining this; but my memory, like Andraste, is that you get 3 attempts in total (that's not 3 to get in and more later in life, 3 in total in your lifetime). So if you use 3 attempts to get in, and then down the line you want to transfer occupations you best hope that you did well enough on your last rewrite.

Honestly take the take time to prepare for your CFAT. I have seen through the years people talking about the "minimum" to get in, remember just because you qualify for an occupation doesn't mean that you'll get it Your CFAT score (along with your TSD and Interview) are used to give you a combined score to determine if you'll get an offer of employment. This score is compared against everyone else who is also trying to join.

Should you choose to rewrite, there is also a minimum time frame between 1st attempt & 2nd attempt (1st rewrite); and 2nd attempt & 3rd attempt (2nd rewrite).

Back