• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hurricane Fiona

My family’s safe but most of Cape Breton got hit very hard. Most of NS is without power, tons of physical damage to infrastructure, trees, etc. I don’t expect we’ll hear much out of Cape Breton today. Tons of power utility trucks on their way in.

We survived well here in Windsor Junction - 14 hours without power, and now back online again.

Generator and chainsaw available on call for someone who needs them. Send me a message.

NS
My sister in Amherst lost her fence, and power, but is otherwise OK,

I heard Toronto is declaring a state of emergency.

Want to shovel my driveway this winter :) ?

For anyone who has never worked 9-1-1 Operations in a big city, this is how bad it can get during a snowstorm,.

The City faces financial liability if they do not reach out for help to protect their citizens and visitors.

Attachments

• snow.png
    snow.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Debert / Colchester NS here.
We lost power at 0100hrs...and lost cable, internet and cellphone service at 0700hrs.

Finally have cell service back at 1800hrs.

One tree down on our back property line, that's our only damage.

Waiting for NSP to restore power, estimate is this Wednesday,. So 4.5 days on our backup generator.

163 hours and counting. The NEW estimate is another 77 hours before power is restored. Our generator has already burned through 1090 litres of propane. NSP, I don't want to pay for a second delivery before winter. /rant.

163 hours and counting. The NEW estimate is another 77 hours before power is restored. Our generator has already burned through 1090 litres of propane. NSP, I don't want to pay for a second delivery before winter. /rant.

NSP ... Where to start

If it helps, this morning my brother in Cape Breton was looking at a Wednesday restoration estimate from the NSP website. He got power back mid afternoon today instead. Don't put much stock in the website or the map for those estimates.

At the start I understood and was patient. I pre-planned and thought we were ready. I even placed propane fuel reorder early, a 14 day delay for delivery. I never considered the requirement to plan for armageddon level of failure.

Frustrating. Government advice of 72 hours preparedness is a minimum. We are looking at 11 days.

Twice now, neighbour's estimates get pushed back, then NSP robo calls at 2300hrs to inform us our estimated date has been readjusted to match our neighbour's new date.

At the start I understood and was patient. I pre-planned and thought we were ready. I even placed propane fuel reorder early, a 14 day delay for delivery. I never considered the requirement to plan for armageddon level of failure.

Frustrating. Government advice of 72 hours preparedness is a minimum. We are looking at 11 days.

Twice now, neighbour's estimates get pushed back, then NSP robo calls at 2300hrs to inform us our estimated date has been readjusted to match our neighbour's new date.

Need anything brother ? Anything I can do ?

Sadly NSP is like herpes, it's for life. And it has outbreaks a few times a year.

I love the idea of taking it back, but I'm not sure that's financially feasible.

Back