• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

With modern day cruise ships wanting to visit the North and some visiting already. If there was an accident, we are looking at hours, if not days to reach anyone because of weather and distance. Forget an armed invasion (that would never happen ;-) ) but a rescue mission. 1991 Boxtop flight rescue took 32 hours before a SAR Tech was dropped due to weather, 21 hours for a ground team team to reach them. Equipment had to come from Trenton, Edmonton, and Greenwood. Time and weather delays will kill people. Is it time they take the Arctic Regional ( makes up 1/3 of Canada ) they take it more serious or just keep it status as it is now, once a a year exercise and photo ops?
The lack of external rescue support is factored into the ships design though, so they are a fair bit more redundant compared to a normal cruise ship.

It's all driven by insurance, and being sued into oblivion by rich people drives a lot of additional equipment, and they actually have to get certified by class societies before sailing, and don't have the RCN option of a 'risk assessment'.

I still wouldn't go on a cruise personally for various other reason.

Any large disaster in the Artic would have to be a coordinated response from our International Partners. We do not have the capabilities with in our Forces to deploy and sustain a high casualty situation up North. If we did then we would be leaving response elsewhere with little to no ability.

One thing up North is the local people would respond with what they have. They may have more initial resources then the Government could supply.
I do not know if we have disaster response kits set up in the north, where in case of one the locals could access the gear to supply as required until relieved by the Military.

I wonder how long to request and deploy the LC130s from the NY ANG 109th Airlift Wing?

I have worked with them before in the Arctic and they are basically the only way we have to get large bulky and/or heavy stuff into austere areas via air quickly.
I worked with those PJs in my OUTCAN, the jumpers can be ready pretty quick and they’re happy to jump out of anything, I’ve dropped PJs from a Canadian C130. Getting a plane to go with you’re looking at 24-48 hrs minimum plus any diplo delays. I don’t think this is something JRCC normally deals with so there’s that too.

Last edited:
Cradle-to-grave security doesn't really produce a society of people prepared to survive on their own for a while in an emergency situation. And a country this sparsely populated has a lot of places like that.

I worked with those PJs in my OUTCAN, the jumpers can be ready pretty quick and they’re happy to jump out of anything, I’ve dropped PJs from a Canadian C130. Getting a plane to go with you’re looking at 24-48 hrs minimum plus any diplo delays. I don’t think this is something JRCC normally deals with so there’s that too.
The nice thing is that their C130s are ski equipped so they can air land stuff directly once the initial jumpers have set up an austere strip and verified the snow/ice.

The wind or the wind blowing you into obstacles? I’m not at all familiar with round chutes.

Well, both.

Any wind over about 12-13 knts can be a disaster for 'dumb' canopy enabled troops as it tends to smash you into the ground and drag you a fair distance before you manage to get a capewell activated... if you're conscious ;)

Well, both.

Any wind over about 12-13 knts can be a disaster for 'dumb' canopy enabled troops as it tends to smash you into the ground and drag you a fair distance before you manage to get a capewell activated... if you're conscious ;)
Oh wow. Square chutes have ~20 kts forward sped so they tell me it’s harder with anything less than ~10.

Oh wow. Square chutes have ~20 kts forward sped so they tell me it’s harder with anything less than ~10.
You can control those too. Not just ineffectual slipping with the CT-1 to try to make yourself feel better before to smack something.
Down here even the standard chutes are semi steerable (like the CT-2).

Winds and the LZ surface. Nice soft fields or soft snow would be nicer to land in than something rough with hard pack snow ledges,
Ice and rocks etc.

I got 100% messed up on DZ Buxton (close to where CFB Edmonton is now) in early April; frozen ground, winds 10 IIRC, came in set for a left front and ended up doing a “heels ass” instead. Wasn’t much fun.

Winds and the LZ surface. Nice soft fields or soft snow would be nicer to land in than something rough with hard pack snow ledges,
Ice and rocks etc.

I got 100% messed up on DZ Buxton (close to where CFB Edmonton is now) in early April; frozen ground, winds 10 IIRC, came in set for a left front and ended up doing a “heels ass” instead. Wasn’t much fun.
Heels --> Ass --> Head, the important three point of contact ;)

Or the alternate: Toes—-Reserve—-face….

Swing Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Back