• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

There is the KA-50 option as well, replace the Tutor and Hawks, plus 25 or so that are armed , which can do domestic and low threat missions. So if you want air support for Mali, your not sending a F-35 to do it. If a pilot needs some flight hours to stay current while doing a another task, they fly the cheaper aircraft.
I love that you put the correct thing to do before others

Trudeau does not care....he cares.....I deleted...what I wanted to say.

If a pilot needs some flight hours to stay current while doing an another task, they fly the cheaper aircraft.

If you mean “F35 pilot needs hours to stay current but none are available, so they fly in a KA-50”, that won’t help them keep current in a F35.

That would be maintaining quals in 2 aircraft; not sure if that is very common in the CAF - I did it for +/- a year on Block 2 and 3 Aurora and it was not something I’d want to do again, even as a backender.

Would a fighter pilot need to maintain quals on the Hawk and Harvard trainers? Or is it just a given that they're still qualified after they move on to the Hornet?

If you mean “F35 pilot needs hours to stay current but none are available, so they fly in a KA-50”, that won’t help them keep current in a F35.

That would be maintaining quals in 2 aircraft; not sure if that is very common in the CAF - I did it for +/- a year on Block 2 and 3 Aurora and it was not something I’d want to do again, even as a backender.
I had, at one point, a ticket and maintained currency on four aircraft (Hornet, Tutor, Harvard II and Alphajet). I had no issues whatsoever with the Hornet and Tutor, both of which I flew more regularly but I required a bit of study before every flight on the Harvard and Alphajet.

Maintaining currency on two aircraft is fine. The issue is that flying a KA-50 and flying a F-35 are two different things. You’d be better flying the F-35 sim than the KA-50 to maintain currency/proficiency.

I had, at one point, a ticket and maintained currency on four aircraft (Hornet, Tutor, Harvard II and Alphajet). I had no issues whatsoever with the Hornet and Tutor, both of which I flew more regularly but I required a bit of study before every flight on the Harvard and Alphajet.

Maintaining currency on two aircraft is fine. The issue is that flying a KA-50 and flying a F-35 are two different things. You’d be better flying the F-35 sim than the KA-50 to maintain currency/proficiency.

That is pretty impressive SSM. Maintaining a single category can be a challenge these days, let alone several.

I’ve honestly never heard of a pilot with that many platforms at once, would it be fair to say that isn’t the norm in the pilot trade?

I know lots that have moved around and regained quals on different fleets, but never personally known any that can fly multiple RCAF aircraft types.

Not much is being said about the FaCT contract, which is set to be awarded this year.

That is pretty impressive SSM. Maintaining a single category can be a challenge these days, let alone several.

I’ve honestly never heard of a pilot with that many platforms at once, would it be fair to say that isn’t the norm in the pilot trade?

I know lots that have moved around and regained quals on different fleets, but never personally known any that can fly multiple RCAF aircraft types.
That was during my time at AETE an active test pilot, while I was also the Standards and Eval OC for Top Aces and executing a test project on the Harvard II (ADS-B/TAS integration). Four is definitely not common but two is not that uncommon. We had a fair amount of Hornet pilots posted to the Fighter Lead-In Training squadron dual-qualified on the Hawk and Hornet. Most if not all test pilots are dual qualified.

That was during my time at AETE an active test pilot, while I was also the Standards and Eval OC for Top Aces and executing a test project on the Harvard II (ADS-B/TAS integration). Four is definitely not common but two is not that uncommon. We had a fair amount of Hornet pilots posted to the Fighter Lead-In Training squadron dual-qualified on the Hawk and Hornet. Most if not all test pilots are dual qualified.

My view of the Air Force has been limited to LRP and SAR “close contact”; I don’t know anyone who has dual categories in those fleets.

But it doesn’t surprise me if dual qual at the CFFTS/2CAD world was more a reality than the Op Sqns/fleets. I had a basic idea how AETE works with quals from flying with one of ME TPs when they were down our way to re-cert and do some ET&E. Too bad AETE doesn’t have “Test AES Ops”, it’s pretty interesting work IMO.

Thanks Kevin I did mean the KAI T-50. I used to chat to pilots that would be trained on both the CF 104, CF-5 and doodling across the country in a CT-133. I guess it was more common back the day of multiple fleets. They would fly the CT-133 to maintain hours if they could not get time on the other aircraft.

But it doesn’t surprise me if dual qual at the CFFTS/2CAD world was more a reality than the Op Sqns/fleets. I had a basic idea how AETE works with quals from flying with one of ME TPs when they were down our way to re-cert and do some ET&E. Too bad AETE doesn’t have “Test AES Ops”, it’s pretty interesting work IMO.
You'd like a posting to Ottawa?

Nope, no takes-backsies.

I'll talk to the CM for an expedited posting.

:ROFLMAO:

Sad Doctor Who GIF

Back