• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chicago Police Make You Buy Your Own Side Arm. So Do Other Departments Across the US

FormerHorseGuard

Reaction score
I was reading a news story and decided to read more on the use of firearms by police in the US and these links came up.

Cannot imagine doing this in Canada

I was reading a news story and decided to read more on the use of firearms by police in the US and these links came up.

The Roman army would deduct from a legionary’s pay to equip them. Amounted to about a year’s salary.

I read some places, such as Chicago, receive ( uniform, equipment and gun ) purchase allowances.

Did not read each article. Perhaps, or perhaps not, that was mentioned.

I wish the CAF would let me buy my own.

I read some places, such as Chicago, receive ( uniform, equipment and gun ) purchase allowances.

Did not read each article. Perhaps, or perhaps not, that was mentioned.
the recruits are required to buy the sidearm.
some police services offer an allowance for such things.
one even had police buying own bullets.

Right.

Allowance, or no allowance, if they buy their gun, they own it.
That's the difference in firearms law. In Canada, police, and other "public officers" are exempt from matters such as licencing and registration by virtue of their office (employment) and the weapons are the property of the employer, and the only way that works is for the employer to have strong policies, training and inventory controls. Armed security, such as Brink's, are not.

Similarly, back-up weapons, 'boot guns', etc. are not legal (unless, I suppose, if the member could obtain a Permit to Carry).

Historically we did purchase our own arms to some degree, and in some cases we still do. Officers used to buy their own pistols into the WWI era. They had to be along certain lines but there would be degrees of customization you could have (generally .455 caliber pistols). Just look up something like a WG Army Webley to get a idea of variation. That more or less stopped during WWI due to it no longer being as much of a old boys club and having to let the general public into the officers ranks. We currently have officers purchase their own swords which is a direct continuation of that tradition, though that is more ceremonial than anything else.

Long arms was also sometimes done by officers (things like the Lee Speed) around the Boer War and earlier era, though that seems to have disappeared before WWI.

Back