• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

"We ain't ready" oh we know sir, we know
That message isn't for CAF members - we (the CAF, not Cpl Bloggins in 2nd Bn Hockey Sock Regiment) know what our readiness is like.

Oh I am aware, but even this message, I do not think Canadians care. I think our minister does, but she needs other departments to clean up their act too
I think that's the key and I think that both Primer Minister Trudeau and Pierre Poilievre know it and that's why neither talks much and certainly not seriously about rebuilding our national hard power. They are both retail politicians and they are both in the business of giving us what we ask for - maybe a handful of us ask for more defence, maybe even a slightly higher number than ask for new, government funded symphony orchestras and opera houses.

I think that's the key and I think that both Primer Minister Trudeau and Pierre Poilievre know it and that's why neither talks much and certainly not seriously about rebuilding our national hard power. They are both retail politicians and they are both in the business of giving us what we ask for - maybe a handful of us ask for more defence, maybe even a slightly higher number than ask for new, government funded symphony orchestras and opera houses.
My hope is how things are going, we may see a change in the coming years

My hope is how things are going, we may see a change in the coming years

You might be correct. I have had multiple civilians ask me what we have in place to defend cities like Toronto, or Calgary, or Ottawa from the kind of missile attacks we have seen in Kharkiv, Odessa, and Bahkmut.

Their eyes go quite wide when I tell them "thoughts and prayers?"

You might be correct. I have had multiple civilians ask me what we have in place to defend cities like Toronto, or Calgary, or Ottawa from the kind of missile attacks we have seen in Kharkiv, Odessa, and Bahkmut.

Did they look at you funny as you rolled around on the ground laughing hilariously???

Now, be truthful. The correct answer is "American good will".

Now, be truthful. The correct answer is "American good will".
If it comes down to Canadian cities being under threat of attack, American "good will" will be busy defending their own cities. Just like American "good will" saw them keep PPE and vaccines for themselves(as they should) when Canada came begging.

Canadian cities are protected by proximity to the USA, two large oceans, and "thoughts and prayers".

Prayers was so 2014, now we have Thoughts and Socks.

Attachments

• vintage-stereotypical-1960s-tickee_1_22a20af9ade785fac7cf3f1702bf8c25.jpg
    vintage-stereotypical-1960s-tickee_1_22a20af9ade785fac7cf3f1702bf8c25.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 15
So the correct answer is closer to "Americans, if smug snotty Canadians haven't pissed them off too much."
My recollection is that circa 2017 the Americans (Donald J Trump, prop) wanted us in - as a formal partner - because they wanted to integrate, fully, our airspace into the plan. They were not asking for much in the way of money: we would buy a radar or two and add a handful of people to NORAD HQ but, mainly, they wanted us "inside the tent, p!ssing out, rather than outside the tent, p!ssing in" as we normally do. I don't think that the tune (in DC and in Cheyenne Mountain) has changed very much.

They are going to give us just enough to waltz us right back into being someone’s colony….

If it comes down to Canadian cities being under threat of attack, American "good will" will be busy defending their own cities. Just like American "good will" saw them keep PPE and vaccines for themselves(as they should) when Canada came begging.

Canadian cities are protected by proximity to the USA, two large oceans, and "thoughts and prayers".
Certain Canadian cities will be protected by the US, places such as:
1) Windsor, due to its proximity to Detroit and it’s remaining auto plant
2) Metro Toronto due to the nuclear power plant east of the city, they don’t want any fallout blowing into upstate NY and the auto plants in Brampton and Oshawa and Hamilton’s remaining steel mill
3) Possibly Montreal due to its location next to the shipping locks into the Great Lakes
4) Edmonton possibly due to its proximity to the oil sands
5) Vancouver due to its proximity to Seattle
6) Possibly the area around the old Alcan aluminum plant in Quebec if it’s targeted

I don’t really see any other minor/major CDN cities being under the US umbrella.

2) Metro Toronto due to the nuclear power plant east of the city, they don’t want any fallout blowing into upstate NY and the auto plants in Brampton and Oshawa and Hamilton’s remaining steel mill
3) Possibly Montreal due to its location next to the shipping locks into the Great Lakes
6) Possibly the area around the old Alcan aluminum plant in Quebec if it’s targeted

I don’t really see any other minor/major CDN cities being under the US umbrella.
Winnipeg. Not just because of NORAD but as a rail transportation hub as a northern alternative to Chicago, etc.

I think they'll be more concerned about protecting their own transportation networks over ours. And as far as fall-out from Pickering goes, again I think they'll be more worried about the radiation from an actual missile striking their own territory over radiation from Canada drifting over their territory.

Windsor and Vancouver may be protected just due to proximity to US cities, but assuming it's a massive nuclear attack vs a couple of nukes from North Korea I wouldn't count on the US protecting Canada. They'll prefer to have multiple interceptors per warhead incoming to their territory in order to maximize their chances of successful intercepts rather than directing some to defend Canada at the risk of some missiles making it through to US territory.

IMHO anyway.

That message isn't for CAF members - we (the CAF, not Cpl Bloggins in 2nd Bn Hockey Sock Regiment) know what our readiness is like.

He keeps saying we aren't ready.

I wonder how long he'll keep his job?

Kids In The Hall Comedy GIF by CBC

Back